My current training routine / diet : Advice is welcome

don draco

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm relatively new to SI. I've been training for 5 years, and have used different approaches to my training. Now weighing in at 210 lbs @ 6'1" ( bf unknown.. perhaps 12-14% ). So far, I've made great progress in the gym. At the beginning of my training, I weighed in at around 130 lbs, 15% bf. Same height. I was actually able to grab both of my entire hip bones with my hands.. I was literally a human skeleton. I was actually 160 at one point, but due to a series of illnesses I got fucked up.. and lost ~30 lbs. So, over this 5 year period, I've gained ~80 lbs naturally. Deciding to join a gym was probably the best decision I've ever made. It changed my life completely -- for the better.

This is my current 5 day split ( and has worked the best for me .. ) :

MONDAY -- Chest/triceps/calves:

- 4 sets barbell bench press
- 4 sets incline barbell bench press
- 3 sets decline bench press
- 3 sets cable flies OR dumbbell flies
- 3 sets weighted dips

- 4 sets skullcrushers
- 3 sets tricep pulldown
- 3 sets overhead extension

- 4 sets barbell calf raises ( outward, straight and inward foot positions )
- 3 sets donkey calf raises
- 3 sets calf extensions

TUESDAY -- Back / hamstrings / core

- 5 sets conventional deadlift
- 4 sets barbell rows or Pendlay rows
- 4 sets pull-ups
- 4 sets lat pulldown
- 3 sets cable rows

- 4 sets sumo deadlift
- 4 sets ham curls
- Floor-glute hamstring raises

- ~10-12 sets weighted & unweighted exercises for core

WEDNESDAY -- OFF

THURSDAY -- Shoulders/calves

- 4/5 sets strict military press
- 4 sets arnold press
- 3 sets dumbbell flies
- 3 sets upright rows
- 3/4 sets of rear delt isolation exercises

- 4 sets barbell calf raises ( outward, straight and inward foot positions )
- 3 sets donkey calf raises
- 3 sets calf extensions

FRIDAY -- Bicep/Forearms

**These have been my weak points.. which is why I have dedicated a single day to these three muscle groups. Subject to change once they catch up**

- 4 sets barbell curl
- 4 sets preacher curl
- 4 sets chin ups
- 4 sets isolation curls

- 3 sets reverse curls ( w/ barbell or ez bar )
- 3 sets reverse cable curls
- 3 sets seated dumbbell forearm curls

SATURDAY - Quads / Hams

- 5 sets squats ( ATG.. no messing around )
- 4 sets leg press
- 4 sets lunges
- 4 sets quad extension
- 4 sets ham curls
& often finish off with wall sits .

SUNDAY -- OFF

DIET:

Carbohydrates: Sweet potatoes, yams, oats, brown rice.

Protein: Chicken breast, steak, ground beef, fish ( salmon, catfish, tuna, etc. ), eggs, whey ( 1 scoop max/day post-workout), ground turkey.

Fats: Almonds, natural peanut butter, olive oil, avocados, fish oils.

I also include vegetables in my diet such as : broccoli, asparagus, cucumbers, cauliflower, spinach.

Currently, I am cutting for summer. I'm taking in approximately 2900-3000 calories per day, and have been losing roughly 1.25-1.5 lbs / week.
My current macro split is around : 45/35/20 .. but, of course, it is not perfect day by day. And yes, I keep track of everything I eat to ensure that I'm hitting my daily macronutrient requirements.

My question for you: Is there anything that, in your opinion, needs to be changed or improved? I'm all ears. Just looking to optimize everything before I jump into my first cycle. I'll make sure to keep a log once I start it, which will most likely be mid to late May. Thanks in advance guys.

( ** Shoutout to PoB ** lol )

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
First let me say the training routine you put together looks VERY well thought out; and, although I would make several changes to it I won't suggest them.

But, lets dissect the diet a bit, and also clarify the goals. I feel like you want to get bigger, hence why you are researching sources and cycles. But you're cutting right now. What are your goals for 6 months, 1 year, 2 years?

Do you record your meals in an app or anything?

don draco

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
First let me say the training routine you put together looks VERY well thought out; and, although I would make several changes to it I won't suggest them.

But, lets dissect the diet a bit, and also clarify the goals. I feel like you want to get bigger, hence why you are researching sources and cycles. But you're cutting right now. What are your goals for 6 months, 1 year, 2 years?

Do you record your meals in an app or anything?

Thanks PoB. I'm open to any suggestions man.

Sounds good. Yes, my primary goal is to get bigger. I'm cutting down to 8-9%, which is when I plan on running my cycle. ( Either May 15 or June 1 )

6 months: Pack on additional 2-3 lbs lbm naturally, OR 15-20 lbs of lean body mass with the support of AAS, and increasing my lift numbers.

12 months 1 year: Realistically, 4-7 lbs lbm naturally, or 25-30+ lbs with the aid of a cycle or two by this time.

24 months, 2 years: By this time, I expect my gains to be even slower than they are now. Therefore, a realistic goal will be 6-12 lbs lbm naturally, although I will have most likely completed a few cycles by this time.

My 'realistic' or 'natural' goals are goals that can achieved with my current resources. My actual goals require the use of AAS in order to be achieved. This is why I've come here -- to learn & garner wisdom so that I may achieve what I've set my eyes on.

& yes, I use myfitnesspal to record my meals & track my macronutrient intake.

New Threads