The 10 year rule

Cashout

Reaction score
yates_10years.jpg

There is a theory in the psychology of human performance that, in the simplest terms, states that anyone who wishes to become exceptional at any given activity must dedicate 10 years of rigorous and designed practice to the mastery of the activity before they will approach a truly exceptional level of performance.

The bulk of the research has been done by one of my friends at Florida State University by the name of Anders Ericsson.

If you are interested in exceptional human performance as I am you may want to read his research.

Attachments

• yates_10years.jpg
    yates_10years.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 26

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I just posted something similar about gaining weight naturally and how it takes TIME. Funny though. I've been in my career for 10 years now and I'm actually getting bored now that I have mastered it. Thinking about going back to school.

mattyice

Reaction score
You could work and train for a lifetime and you will never master the skills of my trade...
I am fortunate.

Cashout

Reaction score
You could work and train for a lifetime and you will never master the skills of my trade...
I am fortunate.

Who, may I ask, are the "experts" or the recognized "best" in your field? I would assume there are some and that they have achieved an exceptional level of mastery.

mattyice

Reaction score
Hey cashout... Thanks for posting the shoulder thread. Sure there are experts in the industry... But they will all tell you they could never master all the skills... For the most there are just too many variables. I agree with the 10 year rule. I coached professional athletes years ago while I was a college athlete. I trained jr's to teens to professionals on several occasions and watched them develop.

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I am fortunate.

I didnt know a fluffer was considered a hard trade to master.

Santaklaus

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
yes there are many ways to Fluff.. its an art

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Dorian is the man, that guy is a legend

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I am fortunate.

I looked up Delusional, as uneducated as I am I found a striking similarity.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
what in the world are you talking about?

I am fortunate.

Cashout

Reaction score
Hey cashout... Thanks for posting the shoulder thread. Sure there are experts in the industry... But they will all tell you they could never master all the skills... For the most there are just too many variables. I agree with the 10 year rule. I coached professional athletes years ago while I was a college athlete. I trained jr's to teens to professionals on several occasions and watched them develop.

You missed the point entirely. It is not about mastering "all the skills" or how many variables exist in a given discipline. It is about master enough of the skills to allow one to perform at a level in excess of what the others engaged in the activity are capable.

oldskool954

Reaction score
I'd say that is an accurate amount of time to master a skill or activity. I would definately consider myself a master in my trade. I've been in my career 11 years and I feel that I have sharpened myself in enough aspects and am able to perform on a higher level than 99% of the people I've worked with. Not that I know everything there is just way to much to know in my industry not only due to ever changing technology but also because there are many different trades and science and physics involved in my line of work. But for the last 11 years I've completely dedicated myself to being the best I could be. Which has extended past the normal 8 hours every single day in those 11 years. I would definitely agree 10 years is an accurate time frame at least in my case.

mattyice

Reaction score
You missed the point entirely. It is not about mastering "all the skills" or how many variables exist in a given discipline. It is about master enough of the skills to allow one to perform at a level in excess of what the others engaged in the activity are capable.

I get it... I do. I guess we have different opinions. I work with a "master" tradesman everyday and he'd be the first to tell you he doesnt know or is not able to do 75% of the skills necessary to perform the same job in a different environment. So in my trade would have to be very specific...which would disregard mastery.

mattyice

Reaction score
I looked up Delusional, as uneducated as I am I found a striking similarity.

Pfm... You can go back to school. You're never to old... there were pleny of folks in the twilight years when I was going to college. Good luck!

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You should ask your mom or your sister.

Really you got to resort to mom jokes? How old are you? If you can't have fun don't participate here. He clearly was messing with you. Take a joke bro.

Cashout

Reaction score
I don't think we have different opinions. Again, based on your comments, I think you are being intentionally obtuse.

I get it... I do. I guess we have different opinions. I work with a "master" tradesman everyday and he'd be the first to tell you he doesnt know or is not able to do 75% of the skills necessary to perform the same job in a different environment. So in my trade would have to be very specific...which would disregard mastery.

New Threads