I love stories like this.

G

Georgia

Jack Hoffman just might go down as the biggest star of the Nebraska spring game.
And he's only 7 years old.

Hoffman, of Atkinson, Neb., has won the hearts of fans and everyone in the football program for his courageous bout with brain cancer. Star running back Rex Burkhead befriended Jack last year and is the captain of the support network known as "Team Jack."

Wearing a miniature Burkhead uniform complete with a No. 22 jersey, Jack ran onto the field late in Saturday's scrimmage.

On a fourth-and-1 play, he took a handoff from Taylor Martinez. Jack started running left, but Martinez redirected him. The little guy turned on a dime and followed a wall of blockers down the field.

Players from the Red and White squads left their sidelines and followed him into the end zone to mob him and lift him on their shoulders after his 69-yard touchdown.

The crowd of 60,174 at Memorial Stadium cheered as Jack celebrated -- a moment that left his father, Andy, misty-eyed on the sideline.
Asked what he was thinking when he ran onto the field, Jack said, "Scoring a touchdown."

And when he broke free and scored? "It felt awesome." And the crowd reaction? "Really awesome."

Football operations director Jeff Jamrog and fullback C.J. Zimmerer came up with the idea to get Jack involved in the spring game. Jamrog called the Hoffmans on Friday to tell them the Huskers had a special play planned for Jack.

Receivers coach Rich Fisher motioned Jack over on the sideline to show him the play he drew up. Andy said that's when it hit him that his son really would get his day in the sun at Memorial Stadium.

"It was a lot of emotions right at once," Andy said. "Very emotional to see that. Husker fans have been so incredible to Jack and our family and especially to this cause."

Jack was diagnosed with cancer in April 2011 and has had two surgeries. He's now on a two-week break from a 60-week chemotherapy regimen.

Andy said Jack is "doing great" and that an MRI at Children's Hospital in Boston showed that the tumor has shrunk substantially in the past year.

"We're very optimistic for Jack," Andy said.

Burkhead, who is preparing for the NFL draft, said he got as much joy out of Jack's touchdown as he did for any of the ones he scored for the Huskers. "Jack is a fighter, a strong kid," Burkhead said. "To see him run around and enjoy the Husker experience, it's a dream come true, especially for kids in the state of Nebraska. For Jack to get down here and do it, I know it made his day."

:(( :(( :((

Reaction score
Def a heart wrenching story. Nice to see them do that for the kid

Tilltheend

Banned
Reaction score
Thats very cool. Good to know they are optimistic about his battle with cancer.

bronco

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Watched this on espn, awesome story, and very sad for someone so young to have to go through something so difficult... Class act move Nebraska.

Hollywood72

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Good stuff Nebraska. Always a classy program and fan base.

dboldouggie

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That's just shows how good people can be. That kid will never ever forget the feeling of running 69 yards to a touchdown.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That was great Georgia. I hadn't heard about this.

DADAWG

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i dont know who the bastard is thats chopping onions around here but he better stop , its burning my eyes.

curls

Reaction score
Saw that on the news tonight Neb. is a class act.

Reaction score
It's easy to think society is hopeless until you see acts of grace like this. Great story and thanks for sharing. I hadn't heard about this one.

corvettels3

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
great story.. something is in my eye gotta wash my face now..

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post Georgia. I didn't know about this story. What a great thing that they did for that kid.

New Threads