Anyone know anything about engines?

Supra

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ive got a Ridgeline 2006. Ive been putting 87 in it for the life of the truck, I just broke 80k on it and decided to give it a little pep in the engine, clean out the buildup and such. Its running a lot better now. Also is it good to floor the engine one and a while and take it up to say 100mph. Ive heard different things about both. I figure if I baby the engine all its like and never open it up once and in a while not that great for it, and its good to get everything moving fast once and a while. Any thoughts?

Illtemper

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not a problem with putting the pedal to the metal as long as you got oil pressure and everything is in good working order motors are built to be run not babied. My little v6 had 200k and still ran like a champ.. As long as you take care of it (change oil etc....) you shouldn't have anything to worry about!

Supra

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I do oil changes everytime it tells me too and going to use better gas now. Its a VTEC v6 and it knows how to build power, im pretty impressed going from 80mph to 100 in about 3-4 seconds if i drop the hammer.

oldskool954

Reaction score
I'm certainly no engineer but I'm fairly confident engines work by way of magic. So u should be g2g on giving that thing some foot.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
what do you mean by clean up the build up

JOMO

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Your fine. Like stated, just do your scheduled maintenance and floor that bad boy and let the vtecccc RIP. I could never own a car and not floor it through the full rpm range. How is that even possible?

Other than the better octane gas, what did you just do to undo some buildup and give it pep?

Supra

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Your fine. Like stated, just do your scheduled maintenance and floor that bad boy and let the vtecccc RIP. I could never own a car and not floor it through the full rpm range. How is that even possible?

Other than the better octane gas, what did you just do to undo some buildup and give it pep?

Nothing I just put in 91 or 93 and been flooring it on this tank, runs like a race horse.

JOMO

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nothing I just put in 91 or 93 and been flooring it on this tank, runs like a race horse.

Higher the octane the better it ignites, better your car runs. You will get 1000 opinions on this, but I would just stick with 91 on a stock Honda ridgeline.

Look up "sea foam" engine cleaner/ treatment if you want to get buildup out. Sold at your local auto parts store. Check some vids out on the youtubes. Many ways to add it, vacuum lines, gas tank,ect..

Popeye

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Higher octane does not mean better for your engine, it can actually harm it(pings, knocks, hesitation) if you run 93 in a standard 87 octane engine, specs and recommendations are set up for a reason.

The best bet is what Jomo said.....I just did a three step fuel system cleaning on my truck with Sea Foam, put some in the vac lines, some in the tank, and cleaned the throttle body....I actuallly used the Sea foam in the crankcase and let it idle for 15 minutes and then changed the oil.

Fuckers runnin smooth as ever.

Supra

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Higher octane does not mean better for your engine, it can actually harm it(pings, knocks, hesitation) if you run 93 in a standard 87 octane engine, specs and recommendations are set up for a reason.

The best bet is what Jomo said.....I just did a three step fuel system cleaning on my truck with Sea Foam, put some in the vac lines, some in the tank, and cleaned the throttle body....I actuallly used the Sea foam in the crankcase and let it idle for 15 minutes and then changed the oil.

Fuckers runnin smooth as ever.

OK ill buy some, im guessing adding it to the crankcase and vac lines involves pulling stuff out and opening parts of the engines up

JOMO

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's not tough. There are many how to's on YouTube. You might just need a buddy to blip the throttle when adding to the vacl lines so your car doesn't stall.

But, make sure when you do the sea foam to time it just before an oil change like Popeye did.

Supra

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
OK Ill do it now and then before next oil change. thanks guys

Supra

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
No no! Right before as in THAT day or at least a day before.

Ya thats what I mean, I can do it now then the day before the next oil change, is that not what you meant or did I read it wrong?

whitelml

Reaction score
91 or 93 is perfectly fine. I would rather run it than 89. I wouldn't go any higher bc it will be a waste of money. Higher octane is only needed for higher compression. If your motor is good at 2500 rpm than it will be good at 5500 rpm. Also higher revs are most of the time smoother for an engine

mattyice

Reaction score
Before next fill up. Run the gas tank as low as possible. Before adding gas, add a bottl of SeaFoam to your tank then fillhp as you would. Use highmileage synthetic oil. Change you spark plugs and cables.

New Threads