Smith Machine Bench - Has to work

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Before I tore a rotator cuff, my favorite exercise was "Explosive Bench Press" on the Smith Machine. You lower the weight slowly and load your muscles like a spring and then explode upward as fast as you can.....then a very slow controlled lowering and repeat.

Between injuries and illness the last couple years have been tough but as you can see from PFM, the Smith will get it done for you and if you work out alone it's a damn good spotter as well.

Much Respect,
Vette

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I do front squats on the smith machine because I cant got heavy on the squats rack . Either Im choking myself with the bar or its rolling off my shoulder.
Still learning how to front squat.

Bro you aren't learning shit if you are in the smith for front squats. Lower the weight and get the fuck out of the smith machine...please. You will get there. Use straps if you can't keep a hold of the weight, elbows and chest up high! The hardest part ABOUT the front squat is keeping the torso upright. If you are letting a machine do this for you then you are not front squatting. Not at all.

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Training solo for over 20 years I can rely on the Smith for going to failure. Those failure sets added up to clean 405 BP.

i would hit it

Solomc

Elite
Reaction score
use if you want. but the only thing I find them good for is to hang my sweatshirt on.. o and standing calf raises