Why Steroids are Bad For You WebMD

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
March 16, 2005 - If it makes athletes muscular and powerful, can steroids really be all that bad for you?

In your heart of hearts, you know steroid abuse can't be good. And your heart is telling you the truth. Even when used to treat medical conditions, anabolic steroids have all kinds of common side effects.

What, exactly, is so bad about steroids? WebMD is here with the FAQ.

What Are Steroids?

Don't confuse anabolic steroids with corticosteroids, warns physiatrist Kenneth Mautner, MD, of Emory University. Anabolic steroids are used to build up muscle. Corticosteroids are used to dampen overactive immune responses and reduce swelling.

The anabolic steroids abused by athletes are synthetic versions of testosterone, a male hormone. Both men and women naturally produce testosterone. But like all hormones -- which regulate the body's most basic functions -- throwing one's testosterone out of balance can have wide-ranging consequences.

Why Do Doctors Prescribe Steroids?

Doctors prescribe anabolic steroids to treat certain specific medical conditions. For example, they may be used to treat the muscle wasting seen in AIDS. Steroids may also be used to treat delayed puberty or loss of testicular function.

Mautner notes that doctors are not allowed to prescribe steroids to enhance a person's athletic performance.

Are Steroids Illegal?

Yes. Without a doctor's prescription for a medical condition, it's against the law to possess, sell, or distribute anabolic steroids.

Legal prosecution can be a serious side effect of illicit steroid use. Under federal law, first-time simple possession of anabolic steroids carries a maximum penalty of one year in prison and a $1,000 fine. For first-offense trafficking in steroids, the maximum penalty is five years in prison and a fine of $250,000. Second offenses double this penalty. In addition to federal penalties, state laws also prohibit illegal anabolic steroid use.

Anabolic steroids are powerful hormones. They affect the entire body. Some of the side effects are common to all users. Other side effects are specifically related to your sex and age.

Men who take anabolic steroids may:

Develop breasts
Get painful erections
Have their testicles shrink
Have decreased sperm count
Become infertile
Become impotent
Women who take anabolic steroids may:

Grow excessive face and body hair
Have their voices deepen
Experience menstrual irregularities
Have an enlarged clitoris
Have reduced breast size
Have a masculinized female fetus
Both men and women who take anabolic steroids may:

Get acne
Have an oily scalp and skin
Get yellowing of the skin (jaundice)
Become bald
Have tendon rupture
Have heart attacks
Have an enlarged heart
Develop significant risk of liver disease and liver cancer
Have high levels of "bad" cholesterol
Have mood swings
Fly into rages
Suffer delusions
Teens who take anabolic steroids may:

Have short height due to arrested bone growth
Girls may suffer long-term masculinization
Since steroids are often taken by injections, there is also the risk of getting HIV or hepatitis infection from an unsterile needle or syringe.

"There are a lot of side effects of steroids," Mautner tells WebMD. "They are not good for you. It is like Russian roulette. Five people may take them and have no long-term problem. The sixth may end up dead."

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't even...whatisthis.

AndroSport

Traptheend
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
"There are a lot of side effects of steroids," Mautner tells WebMD. "They are not good for you. It is like Russian roulette. Five people may take them and have no long-term problem. The sixth may end up dead."

Prove it, Mautner. As they say "show me the bodies"

JOMO

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I can tell the doc I have delayed puberty and get a script! Making an appt now.

In the mean time lets share needles.

Dbolitarian

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
"Fly into rages"
"Suffer Delusions"
"Painful Erections"---- Never heard of this one before. Harder it is the better IMO..Lol.... Feels better...

Just do everything correctly and you wont see most of these sides. And if your a "Teen" Stay the Fk away until your older and you wont suffer "height problems."

G

Georgia

Damn these rock hard erections that are bad for my health!

Hero Swole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
before steroids: nipple hair

after steroids: hair bridge between nipples.

WIN

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hero, quit with the shirtless pics, my erection is hurting.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As long as I'm not getting someone elses painful erection I'm good with that.

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Excessive masturbation should be in this list. I got myself off 3 times in a row once and still wasn't satisfied.

Santaklaus

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I get painful erections when my dominatrix is whipping my penis. What does WebMD say about that?

Reaction score
I still remeber the TV ads and articles that said roids don't make you get bigger or help performance!
Every time someone bitches about sports players and getting busted. I say to those old enough don't ya remeber the govt putting doctors on TV saying they don't do jack! Now they spend billions prosecuting guys for em when for how many years did they say they didn't work! Who cares, I sure don't except, I personally like being juiced!
Or the when is the last time you hear a roid user robbed someone to get his gear? They are working memebers of society, very conscious about their health and usally perfer to be low key. That usally gets a hey, I never though of it like that before.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I personally think that if extremely high doses are used for long periods of time, shit can happen but if you are smart about it...WTF

StoliFTW

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
god articles like that ruin it for people like me who are married and are trying to convince the wife it's not all that dangerous.. Risks are involved of course - but that's why i joined the best forum in this biz to educate myself.

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong here in fact my wife taped me the other day.....I'm fine...!!!

New Threads