Reverse grip bench?

oldskool954

Reaction score
Anybody using this in their chest routines? Today was legs for me but I tested it out for just a couple sets. Felt it in the chest pretty good. Do you feel it's effective? Thoughts?

Thanks

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've never felt it much in my chest. For me, it's in my tricep and shoulder routine and I do it on the smith machine.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I use it more for tries..im not a big fan of this move

DarksideSix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i love it!! it actually really hits your upper chest.....better than incline.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've done it a couple times a while back. Kinda weird. Was freaking me out a bit so I don't do it anymore. I just felt like the bar was gonna fall out of my hands

DarksideSix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't go above 225 just for the sake of awkwardness and my shoulders feel funny. usually at the end of my workout and am fatigued. did it for 12 weeks last spring/summer and my upper chest never looked better and fuller. real talk

Braw16

Reaction score
I agree with DS6 I used to do it a lot and really felt it hit my upper chest. It is awkward but you will get used to it. I would do it flat and incline depending on how I felt.

Hero Swole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
never even heard of it. ill give it a try looks dangerous though.

coltmc4545

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've done it and do it sometimes here and there. I've done it on incline and flat. Start out light though and I'm talking 135 light just so you can get the feel of it down. I have to go WIDE in my grip. This can also murder your wrists. I've read the study on it but the only time I really feel the pump in my chest from it is doing it on incline.

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I do it, it works for me. Its great of you really concentrate on using your chest

Times Roman

Reaction score
I watched a video of a bloke doing reverse grip with some heavy weight. even his spotters missed the bar. it came crashing down on his chest, and it looked like at least a 6 or 8 inch compression.

Later on, i heard the bloke died after they took him to the hospital.

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I watched a video of a bloke doing reverse grip with some heavy weight. even his spotters missed the bar. it came crashing down on his chest, and it looked like at least a 6 or 8 inch compression.

Later on, i heard the bloke died after they took him to the hospital.

I think the video you are talking about was suicide grip/thumbless grip.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
dont like it. i do it a small bit (once every 2wks but) but again, dont like it.

R1rider

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I do it once a week for my tries on arms day. I always use a spotter and usually max out around 315. gotta have a good spotter on the spot tho

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Like has been said, go very wide and keep elbows in. It is awkard, but if done correctly it supposedly hits upper chest much better than incline and with less delt activation.

StoliFTW

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
there is a study somewhere that states that muscle stimulation is increased when using reverse grip, however when I tried it on the incline it felt awkward and put too much pressure on my wrist, especially when getting the barbell of the 'hooks.

basically what azog said lol

Reaction score
Reverse grip destroys my wrists especially when going heavy. I now only use it for doing close grip bench press for tri's.

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have done it in the past. Not in my current rotation for chest. I have used it as a pre- exhaust method or as a finisher. I have never really amped up a massive amount of weight with this exercise due to the awkwardness. I really concentrate on feeling the chest stretch and press.

New Threads