Let me rephrase the question (cutting cycle question)

Reaction score
If I were planning a cut/recomp cycle, but l think I still have 10-20 lbs to lose, should I work on losing those 10-20 lbs before starting the cycle, or concentrate on losing during cycle?

Diet and workout regimen are both in check, and diet would continue to be very low carb/high protein/moderate healthy fat (with ocassional carb meals, most often post workout) through the course of the cycle.

mattyice

Reaction score
I would run a low dose test e for 4-6 weeks precycle to jumpstart the fatloss.. Maybe 350-400mg. Dial in the diet and cardio with a shit ton of resistance training mma, boxing. Then run a cutter for 10-12 weeks ...fast acting ester.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I never liked the idea of using steroids to cut..It can be done perfectly fine without them I cut over 40 pounds before natty.Now to grow thats what I would use the gear for some may disagree thats fine just my opinion

mattyice

Reaction score
40lbs Bundy??? You fatass!!!!

I agree with buns on that...except to me, growing muscle mass lowers bf % and will increase fatloss overall.

Reaction score
I never liked the idea of using steroids to cut..It can be done perfectly fine without them I cut over 40 pounds before natty.Now to grow thats what I would use the gear for some may disagree thats fine just my opinion

Bundy-I like what you're saying, and know most, if not all, would agree (with the idea of using steroids for cutting).
I went from being a fat mess a few years ago, to just a "big guy" (to most common people) with some stubborn fat left over now.
I know most people don't like to hear the "genetics" excuse, but based on several factors, I really think it's harder for me to lose fat (or gain quality muscle) than others.

Like I stated, I plan on training for fat loss during the cycle. Cardio (in the gym) has been limited recently, because my new job is currently very physically demanding...so I've limited gym cardio to about 1-2x per week, but plan on starting jogging/running (outside) soon, as this has been proven to jumpstart fat loss (in studies, anecdotally, and personally!).

FYI: on a good day, the scale reads 230lbs...I'd like to be 220. Doesn't seem like much right? But I've been training with fat loss as the goal for a while now (1 year? maybe 2?). Short of going to some drastic different type of training (mma, as mattyice suggested, or CF or P90X), i feel like i've tried almost everything...full body workouts, metabolic type circuit workouts, experimented with cardio before, during, and after lifting with no real success. I've also tried almost every thermo supplement short of dnp with limited success. So I'm thinking about the next step.

Cashout

Reaction score
IF you still have 20 pounds of fat to lose, your diet is not "in check." Everybody thinks their diet is "in check" when in fact 99% of the time it is no where close.

Fix your diet and get rid of the fat.

Then focus on building muscle.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
^ what this brother said , the advantage u have to once u burn off the fat is Ur able to add lean muscle and control more of how much fat u want to put on, building from ground up

Reaction score
IF you still have 20 pounds of fat to lose, your diet is not "in check." Everybody thinks their diet is "in check" when in fact 99% of the time it is no where close.

I agree with your statement that "Everybody thinks ther diet is in check...99%...". So what do you suggest to someone who has been constantly trying to lose 10-20 lbs who has been eating a high protein, low carb, moderate healthy fat diet for the past 1-2 years? Sure I have a sensible carb meal ocassionally, and sure I slip ocassionally, but otherwise I'd say the diet is pretty damn close to where it should be.
As far as "Then focus on building muscle"...that's what the gym is for.

Isn't it possible that non-superior genetics, the fact that I was 260 lbs a few years ago (and probably a little unhealthy mentally as well (i.e. depression), as well as the fact that I'm not in my 20's or 30's could play a role in my battle with the belly?

Interested in your response, but not looking to get off original topic.

Cashout

Reaction score
First, I cannot make suggestions based on the general "high protein, low carb, moderate healthy fat diet" you offered as your diet. To make valuable suggestions, I'd need to know the exact composition of each and every meal you are eating for the course of 4-5 days before I could make recommendations. That would include exact weighted proportions of each food as well as timing.

As for the rest of your references, most folks don't have superior genetics so in that regard you are no different than the rest of +/- one standard deviation of the population, age is not an issue either.

"Cutting" or dropping the "belly fat" or whatever you want to call it is 95% diet. That is all it is. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but it is the truth. The other stuff is just an excuse to not make the commitment to achieve what you want.

It sounds like you've made significant progress and that is commendable. Now do the work and make the commitment to see it through to the end you want.

Four1Thr33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My sug... Post your exact diet, macros and stats in the diet section and let us pick it apart

And just some input, carb free took me down 55lbs in 5 months easy

Reaction score
"Cutting" or dropping the "belly fat" or whatever you want to call it is 95% diet. That is all it is. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but it is the truth. The other stuff is just an excuse to not make the commitment to achieve what you want.

The truth hurts sometimes =))

So the concensus so far seems to be get rid of some more weight/fat before starting anything. I think I'll give it at least one more month of hard work (diet and exercise-wise) and revisit this idea.

oldskool954

Reaction score
Lendo if you want to step your fat loss game up and the rest of your fitness game as well, try getting with the board sponsor Helios nutrition. I cannot speak from personal experience yet but guys on here can. I'm gathering up some money at the moment to acquire there services. Hopefully I will be getting on soon. Good luck with your goals.

Popeye

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

The simple fact of someone saying the phrase "my diets in check" always means their diet is not in check.

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The simple fact of someone saying the phrase "my diets in check" always means their diet is not in check.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^