Thanked 3,271 Times in 1,933 Posts

Just when I was beginning to think there are no decent people anymore

Long gone....

Thanks
    Thanked 18,097 Times in 7,789 Posts

Re: Just when I was beginning to think there are no decent people anymore

pic is way to small to see.
    "Overzealous dosing" -Jin

Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

Thanks

Originally Posted by PillarofBalance View Post
    pic is way to small to see.
    Shit wasn't supposed to be a pic!

Millersville University baseball players help save life of 1-year-old boy in Johnstown
    Intelligencer Journal
    Lancaster New Era
    Updated May 13, 2013 14:59
    Johnstown

Members of Millersville University's baseball team are pic...

More Sharing Services

Related Topics

Millersville Univ... (2421)
    Millersville Univ... (22)

Originally Published May 13, 2013 14:39
    By CINDY STAUFFER
    Staff Writer
    cstauffer@lnpnews.com

It was about 1 a.m. and the Millersville University Marauder baseball team was hungry.

Time for a Sheetz run.

Seven guys were heading down a rain-soaked street in Johnstown, where they had arrived to play in a tournament, when a moment changed their lives and the lives of a young family, binding them forever.

"We heard two people screaming in a car, and it turned into driveway right in front of us," said Zach Stone, 21, a third baseman. "A dad hopped out of a car and picked up his kid. He just looked limp. ... The kid didn't look like he had any life to him."

Dave Pine, 20, a catcher, said, "He was screaming and yelling, 'My son is choking! He's having a seizure! Somebody help!' "

So that's what the team did.

Time seemed to slow down for a few long moments as the team ran to the family just as the child's mother laid the tot down on the ground.

Chambersburg High School health class came rushing back to Tyler McDonald, 21, another third baseman.

"I started doing the checklist of CPR," McDonald said.

McDonald calmly told the child's panicking father, Shane Norman, to take off his jacket and put it under the little boy's head, to tilt it back and open his airway.

He told the child's frantic mother, Megan, who was trying to do cardiopulmonary resuscitation, to move the child's tongue out of the way and make sure nothing was blocking his breathing. McDonald then put his ear down next to the child's mouth, to feel if he was still breathing.

In the meantime, Pine called 911 on his cell phone, scanning the nearby street signs and summoning an ambulance.

"We were at Somerset and Napoleon," Pine said. "I think I'll remember that for a long time."

For his part, Stone knelt down beside the child and checked for a pulse, taking his small hand in his, hoping to feel him squeeze it or show a sign of life.

Other team members calmed the parents, and huddled over the child, to keep the rain from falling on him.

And then Braydin Norman, almost 2 years old, opened his eyes.

"I think he was shocked at what was going on," McDonald said. "We got smiles on our faces and were really happy. We just kind of kept talking to him, keeping him calm and trying to get a little giggle out of him."

"He had his hand around my pointer finger," Stone said. "He started to get a really good stranglehold on that finger then."

Relief flooded Megan Norman.

"Them being there, and being calm, and telling me what to do — it made all the difference in the world," she said.

The ambulance arrived and, as Braydin was being wheeled away on a litter, infielder Tyler Thomas pulled off his yellow rubber bracelet with the team's logo on it.

"He put it on my son's wrist and said, 'Don't forget about us, buddy. Millersville baseball,' " Megan Norman said.

Doctors checked out Braydin at the hospital, telling his family he likely had a virus that caused his fever to spike to 104.3 degrees, which is what prompted the ride to the hospital, said Megan Norman, who is expecting another child next month.

Braydin bounced back and was much better the next morning. As he recovered, his parents tried to figure out the identity of the young men who had helped them.

Using the bracelet and sending messages out on Facebook, they tracked the team to the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Tournament at Point Stadium in Johnstown.

Two days later, the Marauders were warming up for a game when Stone and second baseman Evan King noticed a family standing by the first baseline, standing behind a fence.

They recognized them immediately and ran over.

"They said, 'How ya' doing Braydin?' " Megan Norman said.

"It was really good to see him, from the state he had been in," Stone said, "being all happy and smiling and clapping his hands. It was a really cool sight."

The Marauders won that game, against Slippery Rock, and presented Braydin with a signed ball.

The Normans posed for a photo with the team members, which is when the team's coach first learned what had happened two days earlier.

"I said, 'Who are you getting your picture taken with?' " said Jon Shehan, of Ephrata, who is the father of two small children, including a son about Braydin's age. "I don't think they understood what they did, and how significant it's going to be for that little boy's life. They were surprisingly humble and nonchalant."

McDonald said, "It's just doing a good deed for someone who needed help. We were at the right place, at the right time. The whole team was helping."

The Normans went home, got a baby-sitter for Braydin and returned, much to the college students' surprise, for Millersville's second game, which the team lost to West Chester.

"It was pouring rain the entire game, and they stayed through the entire thing, a four-hour game, showing their support," Pine said.

Shehan laughed and noted, "They cheered like they had known our team for 20 years, yelling at the umpires and everything."

Megan Norman said, "We weren't going to walk out on them for just some rain."

Stone said the experience put things into perspective.

"We came there just for baseball," he said, "and we ran into this family who needed our help. There's a lot more to life than baseball."

The Normans will never forget what the team did.

"If they hadn't been walking to get something to eat at 1 in the morning, we could have lost him," Megan Norman said of her child. "I'm very grateful.

"They are a great group of kids. They have some true fans for life."

Thanks

Good to hear things like this. I remember when my son got a dorito lodged in his throat and couldn't breathe. He even started puking. So I freaked and shoved my hand down his throat and pulled it out......lol.

Thanks

MERICA **** YEAH!

thats one awesome storry man! see u just gotta see stuff like this and know the lord is reminding us that there is still a shimmer of hope amongst all this evil!
    "I think I'm gonna try to do a barrel role, and if that goes good, I'm just gonna nose down and call it a night"

"Nahh....I'm a white Guy"

Muther Fawken RICH -RIP BIG BALLS

Thanks

Thanks for that post alpha, Thank god for those people that helped.
    Eating ass is anabolic. .. Stick your tongue in and hold it there for 20 seconds! Wise words from
    TRODIZZLE

Georgia

Alpha you are just the all around pleasure bringer. Bringing juicy asses and juicy stories on a daily basis. You would make the honor roll in my school

Thanks

Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
    Alpha you are just the all around pleasure bringer. Bringing juicy asses and juicy stories on a daily basis. You would make the honor roll in my school
    Oh shit that's funny!