Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Moderator NbleSavage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11,066
    Thanks
    19,526
    Thanked 9,982 Times in 4,972 Posts

    Light is the new Heavy?...30% of 1RM for hypertrophy

    Interesting study and several good posts discussing the use of low loads to failure for inducing hypertrophy.

    Pink dumbbells, anyone?

    - Savage

  2. #2
    Elite
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    killadelphia
    Posts
    1,973
    Thanks
    249
    Thanked 464 Times in 291 Posts

    Re: Light is the new Heavy?...30% of 1RM for hypertrophy


  3. #3
    Senior Moderator NbleSavage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11,066
    Thanks
    19,526
    Thanked 9,982 Times in 4,972 Posts

    Re: Light is the new Heavy?...30% of 1RM for hypertrophy

    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but nobody wanna lift these pink-ass dumbbells!!!"

  4. #4
    Elite 63Vette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,256
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 28 Times in 12 Posts

    Re: Light is the new Heavy?...30% of 1RM for hypertrophy

    I have been trying to get you guys to use German Volume Training. 10 sets of ten/ half your one rep max.... if you can complete all ten you add 5% to the weight the next time.

    It works...and as a physique guy (NOT a mass builder per say) I can tell you that it is putting some mass on me that I did not expect.

    Much Respect, and pass the little bright yellow one..yea, that one, thanks booboo,
    Vette
    Hung like Einstein and Smart as a Mule.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    660
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: Light is the new Heavy?...30% of 1RM for hypertrophy

    Guess Ronnie should have though twice about the doubles and triples, huh?

    http://www.musclespro.com/2011/12/ro...or-spinal.html

    QUOTE:

    BigRon08 “Waiting for the results of my Mylegram, seems these days I just live in the hospital, oh well” Said Ronnie.

  6. #6
    Senior Moderator NbleSavage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11,066
    Thanks
    19,526
    Thanked 9,982 Times in 4,972 Posts

    Re: Light is the new Heavy?...30% of 1RM for hypertrophy

    Originally Posted by Cashout View Post
    Guess Ronnie should have though twice about the doubles and triples, huh?

    http://www.musclespro.com/2011/12/ro...or-spinal.html

    QUOTE:

    BigRon08 “Waiting for the results of my Mylegram, seems these days I just live in the hospital, oh well” Said Ronnie.
    Damn...ouch! Feel badly for that big bastard. Hope he heals up soon.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    660
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: Light is the new Heavy?...30% of 1RM for hypertrophy

    About every 3-4 months I'll use a form of GVT during a "deloading" week. It is a good opportunity to dial down from my traditional training style and keeps me engaged.

    Originally Posted by 63Vette View Post
    I have been trying to get you guys to use German Volume Training. 10 sets of ten/ half your one rep max.... if you can complete all ten you add 5% to the weight the next time.

    It works...and as a physique guy (NOT a mass builder per say) I can tell you that it is putting some mass on me that I did not expect.

    Much Respect, and pass the little bright yellow one..yea, that one, thanks booboo,
    Vette

  8. #8
    Elite DF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    8,408
    Thanks
    4,999
    Thanked 3,361 Times in 1,803 Posts

    Re: Light is the new Heavy?...30% of 1RM for hypertrophy

    Originally Posted by Cashout View Post
    Guess Ronnie should have though twice about the doubles and triples, huh?

    http://www.musclespro.com/2011/12/ro...or-spinal.html

    QUOTE:

    BigRon08 “Waiting for the results of my Mylegram, seems these days I just live in the hospital, oh well” Said Ronnie.
    That's some nasty surgery to go thru. Fusion of C4-C7 sucks ass.

  9. #9
    Elite 63Vette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,256
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 28 Times in 12 Posts

    Re: Light is the new Heavy?...30% of 1RM for hypertrophy

    Dayam RC.... dats some bullshit brah!

    Check your ego at the door but get on board this German Volume Training ... even if it is just every few months for a few weeks. Coming off injury or illness it is the best thing going IMO. Hey, if Cashout is doing it- we should ALL be doing it!

    Much Respect,
    Vette
    Hung like Einstein and Smart as a Mule.

  10. #10
    Elite ken Sass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,057
    Thanks
    1,182
    Thanked 565 Times in 334 Posts

    Re: Light is the new Heavy?...30% of 1RM for hypertrophy

    the cube method recommends doings reps 1 week out of 4

  11. #11
    Senior Moderator NbleSavage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11,066
    Thanks
    19,526
    Thanked 9,982 Times in 4,972 Posts

    Re: Light is the new Heavy?...30% of 1RM for hypertrophy

    I decided today to reincorporate a lil' GVT back into my mojo. I did trap bar deads 10 x 10 with a modest 225 Lbs. and super-set with leg curls (didn't want to attempt SLDLs same session as TBDLs).

    OUCH (in a good way).

    First thing I noticed was the accumulating fatigue. I didn't hit the wall until set 9 but bloody hell could I feel my quads shaking all the way there as the reps piled-up.

    Next thing is the lack of knee pain (after a typical squat or dead session me knees ache for a day or more). Nadda. Am hoping that holds.

    Overall, I'm liking it (again...) and will prolly seek to incorporate an upper body GVT session into my Sunday workouts.

    Great call Cash & Vette!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    660
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: Light is the new Heavy?...30% of 1RM for hypertrophy

    I use a pretty simple Leg Routine of 10X10 when I travel.

    It is a pain in the butt to try to get a good leg session when traveling because you never know what sort of equipment you'll find at some places.

    With 10X10 on legs I can use pretty much a standard bar and some plates and that's it. I did this 2 weeks ago at a resort hotel "fitness center" and I had to use a flat bench as my rack when squatting because there was no squat rack - or any other sort of rack for that matter. Trust me, that makes for a long "walk out."

    Squats: 10 sets X 10 reps of 365 with 90 seconds rest between each set.
    Lunges: 10 sets X 10 reps of 95 with 90 seconds of rest between each set
    Stiff Leg Deads: 10 sets X 10 reps with 185 with 90 second rest between each set.

  13. #13
    Elite heavydeads83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ga
    Posts
    2,151
    Thanks
    1,267
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 647 Posts

    Re: Light is the new Heavy?...30% of 1RM for hypertrophy

    I very seriously doubt Ronnie would change a thing about his training if he had it to do over again. Some people just like lifting "heavy ass weight!"

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    660
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: Light is the new Heavy?...30% of 1RM for hypertrophy

    Ahhh.....Hume's Law, the problem of the Is-Ought. We'll never know.

    Originally Posted by heavydeads83 View Post
    I very seriously doubt Ronnie would change a thing about his training if he had it to do over again. Some people just like lifting "heavy ass weight!"

  15. #15
    Senior Moderator NbleSavage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11,066
    Thanks
    19,526
    Thanked 9,982 Times in 4,972 Posts

    Re: Light is the new Heavy?...30% of 1RM for hypertrophy

    Originally Posted by Cashout View Post
    I use a pretty simple Leg Routine of 10X10 when I travel.

    It is a pain in the butt to try to get a good leg session when traveling because you never know what sort of equipment you'll find at some places.

    With 10X10 on legs I can use pretty much a standard bar and some plates and that's it. I did this 2 weeks ago at a resort hotel "fitness center" and I had to use a flat bench as my rack when squatting because there was no squat rack - or any other sort of rack for that matter. Trust me, that makes for a long "walk out."

    Squats: 10 sets X 10 reps of 365 with 90 seconds rest between each set.
    Lunges: 10 sets X 10 reps of 95 with 90 seconds of rest between each set
    Stiff Leg Deads: 10 sets X 10 reps with 185 with 90 second rest between each set.
    Cash, you super-setting these or knocking-out one exercise (full 10 x 10) and then moving on to the next one?

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    660
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: Light is the new Heavy?...30% of 1RM for hypertrophy

    Originally Posted by NbleSavage View Post
    Cash, you super-setting these or knocking-out one exercise (full 10 x 10) and then moving on to the next one?
    All straight sets with 90 seconds rest between each set. No super-sets on this one that's why I say it is a step down in intensity from my typical training style.

Similar Threads

  1. Lift heavy during deficit- but how heavy?
    By viktor89 in forum Training and Workouts
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-21-2020, 04:58 PM
  2. HST training, (hypertrophy-specific training)
    By Omegareign in forum Training and Workouts
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-09-2017, 02:25 PM
  3. Ab workouts, heavy low reps or more reps with light weight?
    By nickt916 in forum Training and Workouts
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-24-2016, 04:01 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-01-2015, 06:57 AM
  5. So how do you test your 1RM
    By mike4563 in forum Powerlifting Training Methods
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-01-2012, 02:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •