Light is the new Heavy?...30% of 1RM for hypertrophy

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Interesting study and several good posts discussing the use of low loads to failure for inducing hypertrophy.

Pink dumbbells, anyone? :)

- Savage

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but nobody wanna lift these pink-ass dumbbells!!!"

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to get you guys to use German Volume Training. 10 sets of ten/ half your one rep max.... if you can complete all ten you add 5% to the weight the next time.

It works...and as a physique guy (NOT a mass builder per say) I can tell you that it is putting some mass on me that I did not expect.

Much Respect, and pass the little bright yellow one..yea, that one, thanks booboo,
Vette

Cashout

Reaction score
Guess Ronnie should have though twice about the doubles and triples, huh?

QUOTE:

BigRon08 “Waiting for the results of my Mylegram, seems these days I just live in the hospital, oh well” Said Ronnie.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

QUOTE:

BigRon08 “Waiting for the results of my Mylegram, seems these days I just live in the hospital, oh well” Said Ronnie.

Damn...ouch! Feel badly for that big bastard. Hope he heals up soon.

Cashout

Reaction score
About every 3-4 months I'll use a form of GVT during a "deloading" week. It is a good opportunity to dial down from my traditional training style and keeps me engaged.

I have been trying to get you guys to use German Volume Training. 10 sets of ten/ half your one rep max.... if you can complete all ten you add 5% to the weight the next time.

It works...and as a physique guy (NOT a mass builder per say) I can tell you that it is putting some mass on me that I did not expect.

Much Respect, and pass the little bright yellow one..yea, that one, thanks booboo,
Vette

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

QUOTE:

That's some nasty surgery to go thru. Fusion of C4-C7 sucks ass.

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Dayam RC.... dats some bullshit brah!

Check your ego at the door but get on board this German Volume Training ... even if it is just every few months for a few weeks. Coming off injury or illness it is the best thing going IMO. Hey, if Cashout is doing it- we should ALL be doing it!

Much Respect,
Vette

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
the cube method recommends doings reps 1 week out of 4

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I decided today to reincorporate a lil' GVT back into my mojo. I did trap bar deads 10 x 10 with a modest 225 Lbs. and super-set with leg curls (didn't want to attempt SLDLs same session as TBDLs).

OUCH (in a good way).

First thing I noticed was the accumulating fatigue. I didn't hit the wall until set 9 but bloody hell could I feel my quads shaking all the way there as the reps piled-up.

Next thing is the lack of knee pain (after a typical squat or dead session me knees ache for a day or more). Nadda. Am hoping that holds.

Overall, I'm liking it (again...) and will prolly seek to incorporate an upper body GVT session into my Sunday workouts.

Great call Cash & Vette!

Cashout

Reaction score
I use a pretty simple Leg Routine of 10X10 when I travel.

It is a pain in the butt to try to get a good leg session when traveling because you never know what sort of equipment you'll find at some places.

With 10X10 on legs I can use pretty much a standard bar and some plates and that's it. I did this 2 weeks ago at a resort hotel "fitness center" and I had to use a flat bench as my rack when squatting because there was no squat rack - or any other sort of rack for that matter. Trust me, that makes for a long "walk out."

Squats: 10 sets X 10 reps of 365 with 90 seconds rest between each set.
Lunges: 10 sets X 10 reps of 95 with 90 seconds of rest between each set
Stiff Leg Deads: 10 sets X 10 reps with 185 with 90 second rest between each set.

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I very seriously doubt Ronnie would change a thing about his training if he had it to do over again. Some people just like lifting "heavy ass weight!"

Cashout

Reaction score
Ahhh.....Hume's Law, the problem of the Is-Ought. We'll never know.

I very seriously doubt Ronnie would change a thing about his training if he had it to do over again. Some people just like lifting "heavy ass weight!"

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I use a pretty simple Leg Routine of 10X10 when I travel.

It is a pain in the butt to try to get a good leg session when traveling because you never know what sort of equipment you'll find at some places.

With 10X10 on legs I can use pretty much a standard bar and some plates and that's it. I did this 2 weeks ago at a resort hotel "fitness center" and I had to use a flat bench as my rack when squatting because there was no squat rack - or any other sort of rack for that matter. Trust me, that makes for a long "walk out."

Squats: 10 sets X 10 reps of 365 with 90 seconds rest between each set.
Lunges: 10 sets X 10 reps of 95 with 90 seconds of rest between each set
Stiff Leg Deads: 10 sets X 10 reps with 185 with 90 second rest between each set.

Cash, you super-setting these or knocking-out one exercise (full 10 x 10) and then moving on to the next one?

Cashout

Reaction score
Cash, you super-setting these or knocking-out one exercise (full 10 x 10) and then moving on to the next one?

All straight sets with 90 seconds rest between each set. No super-sets on this one that's why I say it is a step down in intensity from my typical training style.

New Threads