Anyone here into the organic food craze?

TheExperiment

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've thought about getting into the organic food craze. I may start up my own little garden and grow tomatoes, cord, herbs, peppers, potatoes, and corn. As for meat, I'm going to try and start eating beef and chicken that are antibiotic/hormone free, grass fed, wild range, etc. For eggs, I'm going to get grass fed, wild range chicken eggs that have the big orange yolk instead of the commercial grocery yellow ones.

And I am going to try and stay away from processed foods, except for a couple of bottles of Coca-Cola per day :)

biggerben692000

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My eldest daughter is and has been for the last few years. Doesn't grow anything but buys all organic stuff. Trader Joes and Fresh and Easy is where she gets most of her stuff. Definitely more expensive. She's a vegetarian, also. Yoga and all that. She's 5'2" about 110lbs....maybe. She walks around on her hands in a handstand. Really strong. She's absolutely insane like her mother....thankfully I'm on good terms with both of them.
My daughter comes around to eat and cook her food. Actually, she did. She moved to San Diego a couple of weeks ago. I miss her. She's up visiting my youngest daughter in LA right now. Maybe she'll stop by on her way back? Imma ask her.

losieloos

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm not into all of that for the meat, I like my chicken pumped full of hormones.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Only some things. Pesticides are fat soluble so for fatty meats like steaks and for whole eggs I go organic.

For lean beef, poultry and egg whites no.

Produce, sometimes.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i have a friend who gets some farm fresh eggs and chicken breasts, i dunno, but the chicken tasted really gamey, and i puked, i guess im just use to the hormone filled 28 grams per breast that i have always eaten?

i can tolerate the grass fed beef, and others but the chicken couldn't do it! produce i try to but man why buy a bag of "organic" apples when i can get more for cheaper, and the rules for actually listing stuff as organic is very lax, and it doesnt even have to be fully organic in order to actually be deemed organic by the fda's standards.... just another gimmick for the fda and agriculture in order to gain more money of people when they list it as organic..

How much of what u used was actually organic? the soil, the seeds??

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There is a shoppers guide called the clean 15. The list ranks fruit & veggies from most to least contaminated. I buy mostly hormone free meat ect... I like to know which hormones I'm taking :D

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
and another thing is the SOIL!! how much crap is in it already, how can u really grow something "organic?" the soil has been saturated for so many years with different types of stuff that in order to truly make it organic, ud have to really till that shit, and add in a bunch of other stuff just to make "good" soil... i mean the amounts of pills and medicines dumped into our water supply daily by people throwing stuff down their toilets, and emptying pill bottles and add in the fluoride, which has risen over the years, and tons of other "needed chemicals" ur taking something you will have grown urself, (organic i guess?) using water thats medicated, and soil thats saturated with god knows what and deeming it "organic" i just dont believe anything is truly organic the way it was ever intended to be... due to the poisoning of the ground and water thru out the years...

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
when i can afford it yes. milk always, eggs always beef sometimes. processed foods (i barely eat any) but i really try to get orgainc when eating that shit.

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
and another thing is the SOIL!! how much crap is in it already, how can u really grow something "organic?" the soil has been saturated for so many years with different types of stuff that in order to truly make it organic, ud have to really till that shit, and add in a bunch of other stuff just to make "good" soil... i mean the amounts of pills and medicines dumped into our water supply daily by people throwing stuff down their toilets, and emptying pill bottles and add in the fluoride, which has risen over the years, and tons of other "needed chemicals" ur taking something you will have grown urself, (organic i guess?) using water thats medicated, and soil thats saturated with god knows what and deeming it "organic" i just dont believe anything is truly organic the way it was ever intended to be... due to the poisoning of the ground and water thru out the years...

Same school of thought.............what do they do grow it on another planet?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

You're making a bunch of suppositions that you can't back up.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have enough hippie friends who can find a ton more if pob or anyone else is interested... PFM agreed with me because he truly knows whats up!!

Our soil has degraded, and so has our water supply over the last 100 years by a lot both by over flouride and chemicals that SOMEONE ELSE SAYS WE NEED

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have enough hippie friends who can find a ton more if pob or anyone else is interested... PFM agreed with me because he truly knows whats up!!

Our soil has degraded, and so has our water supply over the last 100 years by a lot both by over flouride and chemicals that SOMEONE ELSE SAYS WE NEED

Wow you're feisty... Google all you want. When you've worked in this field for a decade and hold a degree in it then we can talk. I can find information on Google that says that global warming is real and sasquatch exists.

Knocking an attempt at reducing your exposure to toxics is just plain dumb.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Wow you're feisty... Google all you want. When you've worked in this field for a decade and hold a degree in it then we can talk. I can find information on Google that says that global warming is real and sasquatch exists.

Knocking an attempt at reducing your exposure to toxics is just plain dumb.

Haha touche! I understand where people r comming from and yeah u are correct, no degree, i acknowledge that and YES people eating healthier with less chemicals and toxins in their food is what all people shouldstrive todo,

but that is why people need to understand that truly organic foods will still have toxins, albeit, not as many but the fda allows certain things to still be in what they deem organic, minus gmo's, its listed in the fda, and its still alarming what they deem organic....

Rant over

Op please make ur own soil so that u can be sure u know what is going into the growth of ur food, and get ur water tested for contaminants so u also know what is going in to as well....

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
but that is why people need to understand that truly organic foods will still have toxins, albeit, not as many but the fda allows certain things to still be in what they deem organic, minus gmo's, its listed in the fda, and its still alarming what they deem organic....

I'll certainly grant you this much. Except its USDA not FDA ;)

Times Roman

Reaction score
the other thing is that "organic" aint exactly what you think it is. It is more of a marketing ploy than an actual growing style/philosophy.

To most people, when you say organic, they think no pesticides, fungicides or any chemicals... period!

But there was/is a loophole. In the beginning, the government allowed a short list of items that can be used on food until things were figured out, and this list was supposed to sunset after a certain period of time. Instead, this "short" list has grown considerably, and there is more on this list of acceptable additives than you might suspect.

It took me awhile to find the list, but you can find it if you are patient and google it.

The other thing is that the word "organic" is now being attached to processed food, like (this might be a bad example) frozen pizza or something similar.

Being able to use the word "organic" means big bucks for the industry, and is being used inappropriately if you ask me.

There is a guy down the street that grows all his own veggies and has his own veggie stand. He uses real manure for fertilizer. I know cause I watch him put it in there. I don't know if he meets the definition of "organic" how the word was originally intended, but close enough for me. I try to buy as much of my fresh veggies from him as I can.

Personally, when I see the word organic, I reach for my wallet because I feel like i'm getting robbed. So how can a large conglomerate claim it's veggies are organic, when what we really expect is veggies raised naturally and by hand?

Times Roman

Reaction score
the sad truth/reality is that the organic foods you purchase from Safeway is probably no more healthy/nutritious than the non organic stuff.

now, if you can get REAL organic food, stuff totally grown by hand, with no chemicals, and with real manure for fertilizer...

...now then you would have something.

But I seriously doubt that the "organic" stuff you get in the store meets this criterion.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i love organic bananas ! they never get fruit flys compare to the regular , wonder y :-?

New Threads