Thanks
    Thanked 3,361 Times in 1,803 Posts

FL Keys Vacation Recommendation?

I'm looking to vacation with my daughter down in the Keys. I've been to places outside the US, but have always wanted to find a great place to stay in the Keys. I'd like to have a place on the beach with possibly it's own kitchen. If anyone has any tips it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Re: FL Keys Vacation Recommendation?

I've been to the Keys more times than I have fingers and toes and I recommend Southernmost on the Beach.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,268 Posts

key largo is pretty good, so is marathon. how old is your girl?? you dont wana be at the binge drinking spring break spots.

rent a car and drive through the keys up and down. its really a nice drive, if you got coins like Cash, rent a convertbile. fly into Miami, rent car, stay in Largo a day or two, go down to marathon, and keep on trucking. while they are pretty similar, they are vastly different as well.

Thanks

My daughter is 11. We both love to swim & go snorkeling. I'd love to be able to dive, but wont get the chance b/c it's just the 2 of us & she cant get cert until she's 12.

Thanks

D one thing to note about the Keys in general, and Key West in particular, is that it is not the "typical" white sand beaches like you will find in many other Gulf coast locales. It is more rocky than most realize. That is why I like the Southernmost. The beach there is man-made but it is soft sand like Gulf coast beaches. The other plus there is it is about 4 blocks down Duval which means it is not in the heart of the "nightlife pier and strip."

The rooms don't have kitchen but if you square your eating needs with the concierge when you get there, they will fix any meal you want in the fashion that you specific.

If this is not available when you are looking to go, then my second choice would be the Waldorf Reach again because it has man-made beach.

If you want to be in the "think of the night life" I say go with the Ocean Key. Noisy after dark though so if you want low key, not an choice.

If a kitchen is a must then I'd go with Santa Maria Suites.

I've stayed in all of them at one time or another.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,528 Times in 2,194 Posts

American express has a great concierge service
    There's nothing like a slice of tiller to get your day started -PFM

Dizz - you're white. Please dont say nigga - DieYoungStrong

DONALD TRUMP 2016

Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 647 Posts

i've been to key west and all i'll say is you better stay somewhere with a good air conditioner. especially this time of year. i love it down there though.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Cashout View Post
    D one thing to note about the Keys in general, and Key West in particular, is that it is not the "typical" white sand beaches like you will find in many other Gulf coast locales. It is more rocky than most realize. That is why I like the Southernmost. The beach there is man-made but it is soft sand like Gulf coast beaches. The other plus there is it is about 4 blocks down Duval which means it is not in the heart of the "nightlife pier and strip."

The rooms don't have kitchen but if you square your eating needs with the concierge when you get there, they will fix any meal you want in the fashion that you specific.

If this is not available when you are looking to go, then my second choice would be the Waldorf Reach again because it has man-made beach.

If you want to be in the "think of the night life" I say go with the Ocean Key. Noisy after dark though so if you want low key, not an choice.

If a kitchen is a must then I'd go with Santa Maria Suites.

I've stayed in all of them at one time or another.
    Thank you for the recommendations Cashout. I didn't realize their were so many hotels/resorts in and around the Keys.

Thanks

There is a place when driving to the keys called Whale Harbor located in Isla Morada. The food to me was amazing, especially the fact that its a full buffet of sea food, steaks etc. You will thank me later and they have a decent desert section and a DIY ice cream bar for kids.

As for snorkeling with your daughter, there are different companies that will let tour the christ of abyss, which is a Jesus that is submerged 25 feet or so under water along with snorkeling over different reefs.
    Proud Supporter of single MILFS

Thanks
    Thanked 8,348 Times in 4,480 Posts

Originally Posted by HH View Post
    There is a place when driving to the keys called Whale Harbor located in Isla Morada. The food to me was amazing, especially the fact that its a full buffet of sea food, steaks etc. You will thank me later and they have a decent desert section and a DIY ice cream bar for kids.

As for snorkeling with your daughter, there are different companies that will let tour the christ of abyss, which is a Jesus that is submerged 25 feet or so under water along with snorkeling over different reefs.
    whats up HH lol how u doing bro!

Thanks

We are booked to go to MO in Miami in the fall but now i kinda wanna visit the keys after this thread

DONALD TRUMP 2016

Thanks

Originally Posted by Yaya View Post
    We are booked to go to MO in Miami in the fall but now i kinda wanna visit the keys after this thread
    Personal opinion here, it is a great "couples weekend."

The wife and I do it for Valentin's Day every year. It is a nice 3-nighter without the kids. Fly in direct and fly out. Walk everywhere we go.

It is not someplace I'd take kids. Just not much for them on Duval and the surrounding area.

Thanks

Our trip is minis the kid. the hotel we book is supposed to be the best in Miami, but I would really like to enjoy the Florida Keys, i will talk to wife

DONALD TRUMP 2016

Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Yaya View Post
    Our trip is minis the kid. the hotel we book is supposed to be the best in Miami, but I would really like to enjoy the Florida Keys, i will talk to wife
    south beach miami is a very fun place as well bro. i've only been once about six years ago and i loved it.

Thanks

I've been poking around & looking at prices. A week in the keys with fight ( to the keys ) & hotel runs $2500 + (flight & hotel booked together). Then add food & activities of course. I'm still in the beginning stages of my research.

Thanks
    You will obviously save a ton of money if you fly to Miami or Ft Laud and drive to keys, rent a car like someone mentioned above. Key West airport is small and convenient, but airfare will be double. Key West is a different scene. I would visit there, but I wouldn't stay there (since its just you and daughter). Look at the nice resort places in Islamorada and Marathon. Also, summer is hot as hell but prices are in low season. The best beaches are in Bahia Honda state park imo. If you stay in Marathon area, you are halfway between Key West and Key Largo, you can easily day trip to wherever you want to go. Every place has snorkeling, diving, watersports, you name it. Marathon and Islamorada have all the dolphin and animal adventures- which most kids want to enjoy. Key West has everything to offer as well, but it is more orientated for adults. Tranquility Bay resort in Marathon has nice cottages with full kitchens on the beach and prices are very reasonable during off season. Good luck

Thanks
    Thanked 18,098 Times in 7,789 Posts
    3 years too late bruh
    "Overzealous dosing" -Jin

Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

Thanks
    Dammit! I still haven't made this trip!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to DF For This Useful Post:

stonetag (06-18-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,327 Posts
    Originally Posted by DF View Post
    Dammit! I still haven't made this trip!
    The hell with Florida DF, Mexico or bust.