FL Keys Vacation Recommendation?

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to vacation with my daughter down in the Keys. I've been to places outside the US, but have always wanted to find a great place to stay in the Keys. I'd like to have a place on the beach with possibly it's own kitchen. If anyone has any tips it would be much appreciated.

Cashout

Reaction score
I've been to the Keys more times than I have fingers and toes and I recommend Southernmost on the Beach.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
key largo is pretty good, so is marathon. how old is your girl?? you dont wana be at the binge drinking spring break spots.

rent a car and drive through the keys up and down. its really a nice drive, if you got coins like Cash, rent a convertbile. fly into Miami, rent car, stay in Largo a day or two, go down to marathon, and keep on trucking. while they are pretty similar, they are vastly different as well.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My daughter is 11. We both love to swim & go snorkeling. I'd love to be able to dive, but wont get the chance b/c it's just the 2 of us & she cant get cert until she's 12.

Cashout

Reaction score
D one thing to note about the Keys in general, and Key West in particular, is that it is not the "typical" white sand beaches like you will find in many other Gulf coast locales. It is more rocky than most realize. That is why I like the Southernmost. The beach there is man-made but it is soft sand like Gulf coast beaches. The other plus there is it is about 4 blocks down Duval which means it is not in the heart of the "nightlife pier and strip."

The rooms don't have kitchen but if you square your eating needs with the concierge when you get there, they will fix any meal you want in the fashion that you specific.

If this is not available when you are looking to go, then my second choice would be the Waldorf Reach again because it has man-made beach.

If you want to be in the "think of the night life" I say go with the Ocean Key. Noisy after dark though so if you want low key, not an choice.

If a kitchen is a must then I'd go with Santa Maria Suites.

I've stayed in all of them at one time or another.

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
American express has a great concierge service

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i've been to key west and all i'll say is you better stay somewhere with a good air conditioner. especially this time of year. i love it down there though.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
D one thing to note about the Keys in general, and Key West in particular, is that it is not the "typical" white sand beaches like you will find in many other Gulf coast locales. It is more rocky than most realize. That is why I like the Southernmost. The beach there is man-made but it is soft sand like Gulf coast beaches. The other plus there is it is about 4 blocks down Duval which means it is not in the heart of the "nightlife pier and strip."

The rooms don't have kitchen but if you square your eating needs with the concierge when you get there, they will fix any meal you want in the fashion that you specific.

If this is not available when you are looking to go, then my second choice would be the Waldorf Reach again because it has man-made beach.

If you want to be in the "think of the night life" I say go with the Ocean Key. Noisy after dark though so if you want low key, not an choice.

If a kitchen is a must then I'd go with Santa Maria Suites.

I've stayed in all of them at one time or another.

Thank you for the recommendations Cashout. I didn't realize their were so many hotels/resorts in and around the Keys.

HH

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There is a place when driving to the keys called Whale Harbor located in Isla Morada. The food to me was amazing, especially the fact that its a full buffet of sea food, steaks etc. You will thank me later and they have a decent desert section and a DIY ice cream bar for kids.

As for snorkeling with your daughter, there are different companies that will let tour the christ of abyss, which is a Jesus that is submerged 25 feet or so under water along with snorkeling over different reefs.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There is a place when driving to the keys called Whale Harbor located in Isla Morada. The food to me was amazing, especially the fact that its a full buffet of sea food, steaks etc. You will thank me later and they have a decent desert section and a DIY ice cream bar for kids.

As for snorkeling with your daughter, there are different companies that will let tour the christ of abyss, which is a Jesus that is submerged 25 feet or so under water along with snorkeling over different reefs.
whats up HH lol how u doing bro!

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
We are booked to go to MO in Miami in the fall but now i kinda wanna visit the keys after this thread

Cashout

Reaction score
We are booked to go to MO in Miami in the fall but now i kinda wanna visit the keys after this thread

Personal opinion here, it is a great "couples weekend."

The wife and I do it for Valentin's Day every year. It is a nice 3-nighter without the kids. Fly in direct and fly out. Walk everywhere we go.

It is not someplace I'd take kids. Just not much for them on Duval and the surrounding area.

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Our trip is minis the kid. the hotel we book is supposed to be the best in Miami, but I would really like to enjoy the Florida Keys, i will talk to wife

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Our trip is minis the kid. the hotel we book is supposed to be the best in Miami, but I would really like to enjoy the Florida Keys, i will talk to wife

south beach miami is a very fun place as well bro. i've only been once about six years ago and i loved it.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've been poking around & looking at prices. A week in the keys with fight ( to the keys ) & hotel runs $2500 + (flight & hotel booked together). Then add food & activities of course. I'm still in the beginning stages of my research.

Reaction score
You will obviously save a ton of money if you fly to Miami or Ft Laud and drive to keys, rent a car like someone mentioned above. Key West airport is small and convenient, but airfare will be double. Key West is a different scene. I would visit there, but I wouldn't stay there (since its just you and daughter). Look at the nice resort places in Islamorada and Marathon. Also, summer is hot as hell but prices are in low season. The best beaches are in Bahia Honda state park imo. If you stay in Marathon area, you are halfway between Key West and Key Largo, you can easily day trip to wherever you want to go. Every place has snorkeling, diving, watersports, you name it. Marathon and Islamorada have all the dolphin and animal adventures- which most kids want to enjoy. Key West has everything to offer as well, but it is more orientated for adults. Tranquility Bay resort in Marathon has nice cottages with full kitchens on the beach and prices are very reasonable during off season. Good luck

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Dammit! I still haven't made this trip!

New Threads