Seriously considering

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have seriously been considering becoming certified as a personal trainer so that I can help the people who not only want it but need it. My intentions are more on the education side of it and the physiological dynamics involved in the lift.

As most of you know I work offshore in the oilfield and i work a 2 week on and 2 week off rotation. This leaves me a lot of free time on my 2 weeks off. I love going to the gym and typically have to force myself to take a day off when it is needed. If not i know i have the tendency to over train. I won't be doing this for the money, although i will probably hook up with my local gym to offer my services and see where it goes. I think one of my passions would be getting in with the local high schools and doing some promo work with their athletes and doing maybe 2 or so days a week, when i'm home, to make sure these guys/girls get the proper technique and prevent injury by knowing how to lift properly and knowing when to say enough is enough.

If/when i do this i would be setting up an LLC to protect my private investments and would personally own all equipment that is relevant to running the "business". ie computer, software, and other tangibles. In doing this i would lease the equipment to the LLC and therefore have no risk of loosing stuff if someone should ever decide to get lawsuit happy. I would also be looking at sports nutrition programs and offer services, in that realm, to the athletes so that they can achieve their goals and targets that are specific to their position in their sport.

We need a responsible youth who will succeed in taking over for us when we are either to tired or old to do so. The only way this will happen is to have as many people that are properly educated and know what they are doing. Without a lot of you guys i would still be clueless to a lot of what i know. I just want to have knowledgeable successors that can lead their successors.

Let me know what y'all think

Braw16

Reaction score
That sounds like a really good idea. To many people just don't lift right. I was lucky to have a guy when I was in my early twenties really show me how to perform lifts and also make that mind muscle connection. I say go for it creek and good luck brother

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I love this idea.

I have alot of respect for people that learn and want to give back. Sounds like you have a great foundation and attitude to teach and possibly make some money. That attitude will make you successful at whatever you do. INSIST on getting paid though! Your time and attention as well as the risk involved is worth earning more than just a good reputation.

Best of luck Creek.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Creek that awesome brother , best of luck

Reaction score
Fantastic idea! Having more educated people in the gym can never be a bad thing, especially young impressionable high schoolers.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Have you ever tried to train anyone that has no lifting experience? It can be very challenging just getting them to learn the movements.

mistah187

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Always good to be more educated and give back. But alot of personal trainers are idiots. it's good to get the paper saying u r certified but a lot of the ways they train are ridiculous. My girl is a trainer been doing it for almost 8 years, currently getting her bachelor's in it. They teach alot of good info for sure, but they also dump on a lot of what we do in the gym. Especially powerlifting. So as long as u go into it knowing that there is more than one way to do things u will do great. Most personal trainers forget this and end up using a bosu ball for everything .

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Have you ever tried to train anyone that has no lifting experience? It can be very challenging just getting them to learn the movements.

Its damn hard!

I have found that trying to explain to someone how to how to do an exercise correctly is along the same lines as trying to explain to explain to some how to flare their nostrils or wiggle their ears (yeah, I got all kinds of stupid parlor tricks)

The closest I have been able to come usually involves me poking my finger into the muscle I want them to contract as they do the movement. However, it can be a little awkward when you are trying to teach someone to squat and you want them to fire their glutes (not recommended for same sex training partners)

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i have Df. not a lot but i have done it. definitely not easy but for some reason i am typically able to communicate to them what i need them to do while making it humorous and on a level that they understand. Definitely not focusing on the bosu ball.

grizzldsealpoacher

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think its a great idea! If its a passion (for most of us it is) learning the science will bring you along further and give you the credentials to pass on what you know and will learn. Go for it man I wish I had enough time to go back to school and learn

TR90125

Reaction score
I think that's awesome!

Some people need trainers, not just to learn how to lift properly, but to lift at the right intensity. I use a trainer. I have always wondered one thing though, in my limited experience with trainers, they do not ever seem to address the nutritional aspect for or with their clients. Over the last several months I have seen other clients at the gym I use come in get what looks like an intense workout but never seem to change their composition. Some of these folks are quite large and should be able to drop some fat with the right diet.

Just some food for thought....so to speak

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think that's awesome!

Some people need trainers, not just to learn how to lift properly, but to lift at the right intensity. I use a trainer. I have always wondered one thing though, in my limited experience with trainers, they do not ever seem to address the nutritional aspect for or with their clients. Over the last several months I have seen other clients at the gym I use come in get what looks like an intense workout but never seem to change their composition. Some of these folks are quite large and should be able to drop some fat with the right diet.

Just some food for thought....so to speak

Simular thing happened to me a few years ago I went to a friend that was a personal trainer and one of my BJJ team members. He gave me advice and a workout plan that quite simply was lame. I asked him to give me some ideas for my diet to suit my goals. (at that time it was to maintian 225 and be able to cut to 204 W/O problems) He didnt do shit. One night after a few beers I hammered him about it he said he was sorry but just didnt know the first thing about nutrition regardless of what his certification said. I undersood, and felt bad for him.

This is why I think Creek will do an exceptional job. I believe he has his act together on both fronts.

New Threads