lifting in a fasted state

DarksideSix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So I have went back to lifting early in the mornings. I use to do that for years and I never ate breakfast or anything before my workout, just got up at 5am and hit the gym, then I would come home and have a big breakfast and a protein shake. I never could stand lifting right after I ate, however some nutritionist fuck (from another site) ridiculed me for it and said I was hurting myself and I needed to eat first. So I changed and ate breakfast before going to the gym, I think I felt better after a while....maybe a little more energy from the carbs.

So my question is, is there any particular benefit to lifting first thing on an empty stomach. I'm not really trying to get any bigger, just maintain my current muscle volume and drop some body weight.

Anybody else do this??

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've tried it. Just not possible. No pumps, no strength, no energy. I have a much more intense workout with food in my belly

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If it works for u, then do it....Who cares what someone else may say. For me I need a full stomach in order to workout, but that is just me. If I had an empty stomach during a workout all I would be thinking about is eating, not lifting....

Bullseye Forever

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree with FD,Me personally,i cant eat a lot from the time I get up till lunch,just not a morning person when it comes to food,but I always try to eat a peanut butter sandwitch and a banana before I workout,which is usually about 2;30PM,course I eat lunch/breakfast around 10 am,so I have already ate a little,if im not hungry before the gym,i just eat a banana and im usually ok

Reaction score
I've tried that for 4 weeks and i noticed half way thru that my workouts each day i was more fatigued than normal...do what makes you feel good and comfortable...took me a while before i figured out the sweet spot ....you can try adjusting your macros...i went back to eating breakfast first thing when i woke up...10 egg whites and 1 cup Kashi go lean cereal with 1 cup of fat free lactose free milk...Yummy!! :p

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've tried that for 4 weeks and i noticed half way thru that my workouts each day i was more fatigued than normal...do what makes you feel good and comfortable...took me a while before i figured out the sweet spot ....you can try adjusting your macros...i went back to eating breakfast first thing when i woke up...10 egg whites and 1 cup Kashi go lean cereal with 1 cup of fat free lactose free milk...Yummy!! :p

If your milk is lactose free and fat free I think by law it should have to be called something else.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I used to be able to get a good workout on an empty stomach. However, I was only 180lbs back then. Now I have to have something in my system but not a full stomach.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So I have went back to lifting early in the mornings. I use to do that for years and I never ate breakfast or anything before my workout, just got up at 5am and hit the gym, then I would come home and have a big breakfast and a protein shake. I never could stand lifting right after I ate, however some nutritionist fuck (from another site) ridiculed me for it and said I was hurting myself and I needed to eat first. So I changed and ate breakfast before going to the gym, I think I felt better after a while....maybe a little more energy from the carbs.

So my question is, is there any particular benefit to lifting first thing on an empty stomach. I'm not really trying to get any bigger, just maintain my current muscle volume and drop some body weight.

Anybody else do this??
not a good idea..... cardio first thing on an empty stomach will achieve the best results. lifting on an empty stomach not good, weak, no pump, lack of energy and possible muscle tissue break down.
I was in this phase once, couldn't eat in the morning but had to work out. try drinking a protien shake mixed with waxy maze or carbo powder and maybe a hand full of raisins. I was able to stomach that OK. had energy to lift, then came home and had breakfast.

Reaction score
If your milk is lactose free and fat free I think by law it should have to be called something else.

it says that on the label..i think it has a lil fat in it...i cant drink regular skim milk. id be sitting on the toilet all day... :p

grind4it

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
For whatever its worth I researched this topic in great detail and actually incorporated training fasted for a few months. I did it as part of the "Lean Gains Intermitted Fasting Program" this guy that claims to be natural has a pretty popular blog.

At any rate; it worked great for me while I was cutting. However I was unable to gain weight. With that said; I did not wake fasted, train and follow with a strong post workout meal. I woke, trained (6-7am) then continued to fast until noon. The thing that I did do during this time (wake, pre workout and post workout) was consume BCCAs. The amount I consumed was relative to my size.

Honestly, if I were you I would give it a shot. I would consider adding BCCAs before and during your workout. The reality is the food you eat now is not converted and stored in the muscles for hours. A lot of my research validated the theory of, what you eat today you burn tomorrow. The only caveat I might recommend is to add a serving of fruit or some other short carb.

I train in the mornings and I actually wake up earlier than necessary to eat. I can not eat 700 calories and the immediately workout.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i like to have a few meals in me or i feel like i will drop

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you can train fasted first thing in the morning and still get in a good workout, then do it..as long as you eat a good quality meal very soon after. I start eating from the moment I wake up till the moment I go to sleep but my eating clock is structured to where my pre training meal comes 1.5 hours before I train and no sooner.

As for fat free milk? That crap is poison, bro! Get yourself some raw milk or at least some organic whole milk. Ask POB, he loves raw milk.

Reaction score
Just can't do. Been doing cardio on an empty stomach recently and had been working like magic but weight training just don't have the strength,pumps Ect.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I also workout with 90 minutes of waking up in the morning. A protein shake along with NOExplode and I am good to go.

You may find its not an all or nothing situation. Keep it light but still get the nutrients you need.

A little TNE never hurt on leg day...;)

Braw16

Reaction score
When I was younger I remember reading you should work on a empty stomach. Reason being that if you had food in you then you couldn't get as much blood to the muscles because you were using it to digest your food. I was able to get great results then but now I have to eat. I really do believe its all on how you feel and what works for you.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
id need to eat at least a pro shake and a bananna before a morning WO. Cardio fasted is ok, all you do is walk, run, ride, etc.

but pounding iron needs to be have cals.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
id need to eat at least a pro shake and a bananna before a morning WO. Cardio fasted is ok, all you do is walk, run, ride, etc.

but pounding iron needs to be have cals.

Same here I am eating oatmeal and muscle egg pre w/o.
Strenght and pumps are up bf going down.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I only lift fasted sat and sun in the am , all I need is a black coffee and im good but I really prefer to have a meal down first.

Poof

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Do it all the time, a good pre-w/o mix and a mix during.

New Threads