help get my damn diet down

Reaction score
ok well recently i have been trying to get my diet down to where im very clean bulking. i have put on good size now sitting around 238ish and around 14 percent bodyfat. diet is roughly a 40 40 20 averaging out about 3400 calories, ~315 protein, 335g carbs, 80-90g fat. i find myself getting a bit softer than i should be. cardio is about 20 min a day. now my question is, when i look up my tdee, it says around 4000 calories! i dont see how that could be physically possible without me turning into a fatass. currently i derive all my macros from cean foods mainly consisting of chicken, tuna, ground turkey, legumes, whole wheat grains etc. i have a cheat meal maybe twice a week if that. this is what a normal day of eating looks like

breakfast
blender, 4 eggs, half cup raw oats, 1 banana, 1scoop whey, 8oz skim milk

pre workout
8oz chicken or ground turkey
1 cup brown rice or hand made whole wheat tortillas

post workout
2 cans tuna
1 cup rice
1cup cottage cheese
half cup corn
half cup peas

4th meal
8oz chicken or ground turkey
either 16 beans or pinto beans

5th meal
whey shake w 2 percent milk

thats roughly what a normal day looks like for me. somedays i might throw in a egg white omlette with spinach but other than that pretty much the same thing. what should i change? thanks in advance guys.

losieloos

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Damn your at 238 and that's all u eat?? I would be starving all day, are you drinking enough water? What cycle are you running.

Reaction score
thats the thing, i dont feel full by any means but i was starting to feel a bit softer and "puffier" so thats why i didnt increase my intake. i am not on cycle at the moment. i drink a gallon and a half of water a day.

losieloos

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well I guess my job here is done, other pricks should answer your question as to why your getting "softer", GK has the same problem, he can't maintain hardness....

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
if u really want your diet down get with helios and spongy

jyoung8j

Elite
Reaction score
I'm no expert but looks like not enough food and to many shakes.. but definitely hit up manny or sponge they are the guru's. .

italian1

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm no expert either but for me two cans of Tuna has way to much sodium, cottage cheese or any dairy, as we'll as too many protien shakes all bloat the hell out of me by themselves. Me personally, I would change those three things and I would lean back out in couple of weeks.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
without getting into a whole diet. your protein and carbs are too low. cut all dairy. you're breakfast should be bigger than that (biggest meal of the day). more carbs post work out. i personally while bulking, like to keep my protein at 2 grams per lb of body weight. id take it up to 400-450 grams. and I do do that with protein shakes and food. if you use a quality brand you shouldn't bloat, I don't bloat from protein shakes. use water not milk.
I like Allmax isoflex. good clean protein. most expensive though but you get what you pay for. if youre bulking that means youre lifting heavier, you need more protien, and carbs post workout. 20 min of cardio imo is not enough, I do
35-40min. stationary bike. what are you doing for cardio?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Why you guys knocking dairy? And if you're bulking why do you care if you're a little puffy? Start knocking back a gallon of milk. Allegedly clean bulking is bull.

But to answer the piece about the TDEE, its possible your BF% is inaccurate in the calculation. How was it measured?

Reaction score
damn its like everyone says something different! i actually emailed layne norton trying to get some info as well on dieting and at the time i was consuming 350g of protein 350g of carbs and he said my numbers were too high? idk, im up for trying something a bit different. my breakfast was easily double the size as well. jaxny so youre saying up my protein and carbs and i wont put on a massiveamount of fat by just cutting dairy? expand a bit if you can. cardio varies stairmaster, elliptical, treadmill, usually do some sort of hiit.

pob, measured with a handheld but most likely off by a bit? top 2 abs visible so im guessing sub 16%?

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
if you're training properly for a bulking phase then YES, your body will utilize it. these are good guidelines but keep in mind you have to experiment and dial it in, everyone reacts a little differently, it can take time to figure out your body and get it dialed in. carbs are critical post work out, especially after an intense bulking workout. you're around my body weight, personally I don't like to eat a solid meal immediately post work out. I mix 50g whey protein with 100g carbo powder to get that into my system immediately. then ill cook up a meal about an hour later.
lean bulking is kind of bullshit because when most people bulk up they expect to gain some fat and its usually off season. but lean bulking can be done but its a bitch. therefore YES cut your dairy, high sodium and fat, low grade protein. keep your diet as clean.
stair master is a poor choice for cardio. you are working your leg muscles on the stair master, that's not what you want to do. train legs on your leg day. for cardio you just want to get your heart rate up for 35-40 min. I find the stationary bike the best for that. find a setting where you can peddle 90-100rpm and at a
tension where your legs are not burning but you are working up a good sweat. if you're able to, cardio fist thing in the morning on an empty stomach is the best, you'll burn fat much more rapidly.

Reaction score
bringing this back up to see what you guys think of my macros. i plan on going on cycle in about a week and a half (deca/test). my weight sits right around 220 through 225lbs.

breakfast
shake 3 whole eggs 4 egg whites 2/3 cup of oats, banana and protein scoop.

meals 2-3
8oz of tilapia 1cup rice
8oz tilapia 1cup rice

meal 4
8oz chicken w 12oz of potatos

post workout shake is 2 scoops whey, 1 scoop waxy maize.

everything is cooked in coconut oil and getting other fats from almonds.

macros break down to this 65g fat, 465g carbs, 300g protein, roughly 3700 calories. what do you guys think?

woodswise

Reaction score
bringing this back up to see what you guys think of my macros. i plan on going on cycle in about a week and a half (deca/test). my weight sits right around 220 through 225lbs.

breakfast
shake 3 whole eggs 4 egg whites 2/3 cup of oats, banana and protein scoop.

meals 2-3
8oz of tilapia 1cup rice
8oz tilapia 1cup rice

meal 4
8oz chicken w 12oz of potatos

post workout shake is 2 scoops whey, 1 scoop waxy maize.

everything is cooked in coconut oil and getting other fats from almonds.

macros break down to this 65g fat, 465g carbs, 300g protein, roughly 3700 calories. what do you guys think?

Not enough food. If you are looking to gain, you need to be over 4,000 Kcals and nearer to 5,000 at your bodyweight.

I would increase the eggs at breakfast to 6 whole eggs, and the meat in each meal to 10 oz for starters. You can also increase the rice to 1.5 cups. Don't worry too much about getting a little soft. After all, you are bulking, right?

Last edited:
Reaction score
i am more of a numbers kind of person. so youre saying bump up the calories to say 4500 and have my macros look more like this?

protein 325g
carbs 475g
fats ~100g?

or should i keep the fats lower and up carbs and protein? i know i am capable of eating more, i just dont want to put on unnecessary fat from trying to bulk up quickly.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
4500 would be a start. Dial it up and see what happens. A lot of bulking is just eating and eating and not so much watching the numbers except for protein. At least that's how I roll. I just fill up on carbs and fats after I have eaten my protein source.

Don't be afraid of fats either.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
4500 would be a start. Dial it up and see what happens. A lot of bulking is just eating and eating and not so much watching the numbers except for protein. At least that's how I roll. I just fill up on carbs and fats after I have eaten my protein source.

Don't be afraid of fats either.

Exactly my method...KISS

I don't know why the **** people complicate things

The only time counting is even needed is if aiming for single digit % body fat

Reaction score
i guess i complicate things because i dont want to assume ive eaten 4500 calories or around there cause most of the time i am off by a good amount. that way say if im not gaining weight at 4500 calories ill know to add a bit more of food. some find it complicated but its very simple for me on myfitnesspal. i guess ill try out the 4500 calories for a while and see how it goes.

New Threads