Intermittent Fasting with two feed windows?

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Here's my dilemma: I have to train early in the morning before my shift. On the job site, its a struggle to get meals in just because work is hell and breaks are few.

From a convenience perspective, the notion of not having to worry about meals during the work day is appealing, but am looking for opinions on the notion of the following and how it would support fat loss & lean gains (I'm just a hair over 200 Lbs, appx. 12-13% bf).

Fast from 1900 until 0400 (my time of awaking).

Coffee (black) and either a small amount of protein or some BCAAs before training.

Train from 0430 until appx. 0530

Post-workout, protein shake and a meal (likely egg whites and a bagel with some natty peanut butter or coconut oil for healthy fat).

Head for work, water & coffee all day.

Return home appx. 1700 hours, resume eating until my macros are met or until 1900, whichever comes first (pretty likely I'll get my macros in...I love to eat...)

Lather, rinse, repeat. This effectively gives me two 10-hour fasting windows and two 2-hour eating windows per day.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

- Savage

djt248

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
How long have you been on this routine? I did something similar due to my work schedule and it worked out well.... For a while! After about two years of this way of life it caught up with me. I ended up gaining weight, even with a good diet and pretty good workout routine. Metabolism slowed to a crawl and before I knew it I had about 4lbs of belly fat. If your anything like me I hate to eat breakfast. I started forcing myself to eat something small before my workout. Then went to a diet of 800 calorie meals X3 and 400 calorie snacks X2. Eating 3000-3200 calories a day the right way, I lost the fat gut and maintained a constant weight of 175-178.

djt248

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As you know everyone's metabolism is different but this routine added fat and lean muscle was nil. But I'm an old bastard too and it comes with age I guess.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
A permutation of a sort of fasting diet. He basically slams protein shakes to keep from dying at the gym and pigs out at night. It is a 3+ part series (can't recall) so look for the other parts. Warning though, it is ketogenic for the most part.
Just an idea, and my only $0.02 on this subject. As I know shit about intermittent fasting.
My nephew did use this diet to maintain and maybe add a bit of lean mass while getting down to like 6-8% bf!

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Cheers, Azog! Looks similar, yes.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
How long have you been on this routine? I did something similar due to my work schedule and it worked out well.... For a while! After about two years of this way of life it caught up with me. I ended up gaining weight, even with a good diet and pretty good workout routine. Metabolism slowed to a crawl and before I knew it I had about 4lbs of belly fat. If your anything like me I hate to eat breakfast. I started forcing myself to eat something small before my workout. Then went to a diet of 800 calorie meals X3 and 400 calorie snacks X2. Eating 3000-3200 calories a day the right way, I lost the fat gut and maintained a constant weight of 175-178.

Have only started to experiment. Appreciate your sharing first-hand experience!

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Couple of days in on this approach. So far, so good. The morning meal (post workout) keeps me from feeling hungry most of the morning and my workouts don't suffer. Evenings I find it easier to eat clean during the week and the high protein keeps me satiated.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Keeping with this approach to eating and enjoying the results thus far. My "fasted" training sessions have been solid, no drop-off to lethargy or the like, and the fact that I get a meal post-workout makes the day fast much easier - eg. I don't begin to notice hunger until mid-day.

Scale-wise, I'm down 4-5 lbs and appearance-wise I've lost a belt notch & abs are more pronounced with no loss in muscle mass (quads are actually up nearly an inch since I've incorporated more frequent training).

Thus far, I'm liking this.

New Threads