Bench increase, Chest won't grow..

I bench 135x5

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I've been struggling with a small chest for all my life really. I have had surgery on both shoulders and am just struggling to gain mass in my chest. When i bench it puts a ton of strain on my shoulders and they give pretty easily and early. If I bench and build every set (225. 255, 285 315) I can only get 3 or 4 reps at 315. Not because I cant press it but because my shoulders tire out. I am gaining nothing.

Any advice would be great. I heard possibly different variations of flies would do the trick? Maybe drop to 185 and bump 4 sets of 20?

losieloos

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Pre exhausting, more isolation movements, pec implants.

goesto11

Reaction score
Not because I cant press it but because my shoulders tire out. I am gaining nothing.

Work on strengthening your shoulders?
>small chest
The protocol for hypertrophy is usually 10-12 reps per set.
Sorry I can't be more help.

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
No joke...pushups...my chest also sucks ..and im as strong as you..also dips.. dips and pushups will do more for you than any hammer strenght shit

grizzldsealpoacher

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
what's the goal? to build a stronger bench? or bigger chest? the range you mentioned will get yah strong. If your looking to build a bigger chest time under tention is more important then the weight. focus more on lower weights higher reps with really good form . Fly variations will definitely build out the chest you are looking for I would use machines cables and db's in a 10 to 12 rep range and very short rest/super/giant sets , force the blood into your chesticles command them to grow !(ct)

good luck

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't know know dick about body building but try narrowing your grip up to help your shoulders try and benching with your feet on the bottom of the bench instead of on the floor. put's more strain on the upper body if your feet are on the bench. just a thought bro, good luck.

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Dips and push ups...thank me later... try to do that everyday

hogs4us2

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I am a 46-year-old white male who had the exact same problem had my blood work done and my testosterone come back, at 1400 so I know it wasn't chemistry................ One day while own here reading the new post, I came across a post about reverse grip bench press............ it changed my life............... before I was constantly lifting heavier but my chest was never getting sore.................. reverse grip you have to lift a lot lighter but I can assure you, your chest will be as sore as its ever been..............

try this and see if it'll help.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree with Yaya. Weighted dips. If you can't do weighted, work up to them, you will eventually. Not a big fan of flys. If you're gonna do a barbell exercise do incline bench and bring the bar down to the base of your neck not your chest. Push-ups are awesome for the chest but I often use them as an active rest exercise.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
x2 for reverse grip bench press for hypertrophy.

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I am a 46-year-old white male who had the exact same problem had my blood work done and my testosterone come back, at 1400 so I know it wasn't chemistry................ One day while own here reading the new post, I came across a post about reverse grip bench press............ it changed my life............... before I was constantly lifting heavier but my chest was never getting sore.................. reverse grip you have to lift a lot lighter but I can assure you, your chest will be as sore as its ever been..............

try this and see if it'll help.

I love how you said "white male"

amore169

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
About free weights? Do dumbbells also put pressure on your shoulders the same way as barbells?

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Shoulder work, and some cable stuff if you are in a commercial gym.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I bench the same as you. After I hit my set with 315, I do drop sets from there. Strip to 225 and rep out then strip to 135 and rep out.

The rest of my chest routine I do with sets of 10+. Dips, flyes, cable crossovers, whatever.

I actually do this with every major lift. Bench, dead, squat and ohp

graniteman

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
No joke...pushups...my chest also sucks ..and im as strong as you..also dips.. dips and pushups will do more for you than any hammer strenght shit

^^^^This^^^ I know many pu pu pushups but they will pop your chest out IF you have the genetics, sometimes you have to work with what God gave ya. With your shoulders check your form on your bench. If you're flaring your elbows - try tuckin them in more, flaring puts more stress on shoulders than pecs. I would think about your benching if you've already had 2 surgeries, somethings not right. Get a friend to videotape you

Hero Swole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Dips?? wouldn't that put too much tension on his injured shoulders. I wouldn't do weighted dips. Eat more calories on chest day. Stick to high and medium rep range. Try benching on the Smith machine.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
is everything else on your body growing and not your chest....???

or is this an issue with multiple muscle groups. ???

I bench 135x5

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
^^^^This^^^ I know many pu pu pushups but they will pop your chest out IF you have the genetics, sometimes you have to work with what God gave ya. With your shoulders check your form on your bench. If you're flaring your elbows - try tuckin them in more, flaring puts more stress on shoulders than pecs. I would think about your benching if you've already had 2 surgeries, somethings not right. Get a friend to videotape you

Surgery is from contact sport. There is nothing wrong with my technique, apart from the fact that I have nuts and bolts in my shoulder lol

I bench 135x5

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
is everything else on your body growing and not your chest....???

or is this an issue with multiple muscle groups. ???

Just chest. I'm almost 230 and my chest just isn't up to par.

graniteman

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Surgery is from contact sport. There is nothing wrong with my technique, apart from the fact that I have nuts and bolts in my shoulder lol

I would say that if you're getting no chest growth and your shoulders are tiring \ hurting you may want to look at technique. Technique is everything. Other than that start knocking out push ups, different positions. When my bursitis and tendonitis flare up I go to dumbbells for a couple weeks, seems to work

New Threads