Delt training

Reaction score
Was curious as to how many sets you do while training shoulders?
Reason being is everytime I train shoulders with someone they feel like my routine is overkill.
I feel my delts were a lagging body part and only twin them once a week so I do train with higher volume. A typical delt day consists of usually 2 movement per delt group I.e. front, side and rear. Usually do 3-4 sets per movement and end up with a total of 24 sets. What is the general census on this? Overkill for most? Training this way for me is working and I know everyone is different and different strokes work for different folks but wanted to get some insight.. Thanks in advance

BeastMaster

AndroSport

Traptheend
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There is a pretty good delt training thread on here by mr cash out... I recommend reading it. There was plenty of input on different routines & methods.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I do between 12-16 sets for delts.

I bench 135x5

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I do 12-16 as well. Shoulders are my last favorite body part but the grow the most. Lucky me

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Right now I pre-ehaust by doing 4 sets of seated side delts, then I hit a 4 sets of a heavy movement like front presses or db presses, then finish out with 4 sets of bent over laterals, and 4 sets of front raises......then I hit the nautilus shoulder press or do arnold presses for 3 sets.... so i am right in the 16-20 set range.....

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
15 or so total sets here

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
12-15 sets here.

amore169

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I always start with either barbell or dumbbell military presses from there I go to the smith machined and I do behind the neck seated military presses, reverse peck deck flies from there, then i usually I do cross over cables, then from there I do lateral side cables. I change from week to week my shoulder routine, GL.

Live2Train

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I do a shit ton of shoulder exercises. Check out my thread
That thread has one of my routines on it. I believe in high intensity. It works for me and everyone I have ever trained. I wish I had before and after pics of the dudes I've trained for 8 months.

SuperBane

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I get way too much front delt work....
I need more rear delt work....

Tren for the cap look! LOL j/k

TheLupinator

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Heavy BB Military presses (warmup + 4 working sets) - Last set to failure
Seated Bent-Over Side Raises (4 sets) - All to failure
Seated Arnold Press (3 sets) - All to failure
Standing Side raises (2 sets) - All to failure

~13 sets total

Don't forget you're prolly hitting your front delts a lot on chest day too (bench, incline, dips, etc).. I've never done front db raises

Reaction score
Right now I pre-ehaust by doing 4 sets of seated side delts, then I hit a 4 sets of a heavy movement like front presses or db presses, then finish out with 4 sets of bent over laterals, and 4 sets of front raises......then I hit the nautilus shoulder press or do arnold presses for 3 sets.... so i am right in the 16-20 set range.....

I typically start off with my side delts to. I use to start with front delts but switched it up and loving the results

Reaction score
Heavy BB Military presses (warmup + 4 working sets) - Last set to failure
Seated Bent-Over Side Raises (4 sets) - All to failure
Seated Arnold Press (3 sets) - All to failure
Standing Side raises (2 sets) - All to failure

~13 sets total

Don't forget you're prolly hitting your front delts a lot on chest day too (bench, incline, dips, etc).. I've never done front db raises

This is the truth, lots of front delt being worked on chest day

New Threads