colonoscophy should I?

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
after my recent disaster i thought i would try and write a semi intelligent post to help people make a smart decision. at the age of 50 the v.a. started pushing me to have a colonoscophy , i guess all the insurance company's have decided they can save money by having us scoped and catching colon cancer early, polyps removed early are a easy way to prevent cancer. of all adults 50 and over, 30% will develop polyps they cannot tell us how many of those will turn into cancer. they do know colon cancer runs in family's. the process of a colonoscophy is pretty simple, you shit you brains out the day before and starve yourself to get ready, on the day of the procedure they put you in a assless gown and shove a camera equipped probe up your ass pumping you full of air, they go all the way up almost to the stomach, any polyps found are cut out and the area is cartarised hopefully sealing the intestine up, any gap left will lead to paratanieties which is deadly, the only way to fix it is to be cut open and have your guts placed on the table, the hole fixed or the depending on how much damage is done the whole section may be cut out, the guts cleaned your body cavity cleaned, and then pumped full of antibiotics. if things are bad enough you may have a colostomy bag temporarily affixed so you shit and it ends up on your chest, also you may end up on a respirator for a time, they also stick a tube down your nose into your stomach and sucks any thing that is in it out, so for (in my case) 3 days all your acid and juices come out your nose, you are not allowed anything to drink except ice chips, the thirst is pretty terrible also you have a catheter and brothers i hope you never have 1 of those, every time you move the damn thing pulls on your dick or pokes you inside your bladder neither of which is fun . once you have healed enough they pull the ng tube and you start on clear liquids , getting the bowls working again is pretty horrible, you start shitting yourself and in my case ended up in a diaper for a few days, shit in a potty chair and finally back on the toilet, i have found also you should practice wiping your ass with both hands.
so is it worth having it done? if you have family history yes, if you are having problems , yes, if you are ok, i don't know, i know i wont do it again.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My dad is in his mid 70's & his docs wanted him to have the procedure done. He told them no F'n way! His reasoning was exactly what happened to you.

SHRUGS

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Vitalbodyscans.com is where its at these days. No anesthesia and nothin up your ass and way more accurate. The scan not only sees the inside but also the outside.
!SHRUGS!

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Same with prostate screenings...they do more damage than good

bronco

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
DAMN!!! I don't even know what to say. I know it will be a long time before I even consider having that done, I know many who have had it done with no problem at all. Sorry to hear that happened to ya ken

graniteman

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this Ken, serious shit. I been contemplating this , my doc's been after me but i just couldn't willingly let him finger my butthole without a fight or flowers n candy at the least. and i couldn't bring myself to the camera thing without being knocked out . you never hear of the bad side and i'm glad you shared .
I hope you finish healing up well, thanks for sharing

RedLang

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Shit sorry to hear you had a bad run ken.
Iv had the procedure done a 2 years ago and i had 2 days of prepping (no solids just some electrolyte stuff) and they had me under anaesthesia and, to be honest it was the simplest thig ive ever done. They did cut a few small polyps out and had said that i should get checked again in a few years. Im glad mine went well aftr hearing this.

Hope you get well soon mate. That new scar you got is beast.

AndroSport

Traptheend
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Vitalbodyscans.com is where its at these days. No anesthesia and nothin up your ass and way more accurate. The scan not only sees the inside but also the outside.
!SHRUGS!

I didnt look at the link but my dad was telling me about some new ways they can scan you... one of which is they give you a little "bullet" sized device to swallow and it takes photos of all your guts as it makes its way through you so they can see whats going on. crazy shit.

my dad had the polyps removed and luckily no issues

glad to hear youre on the mend bro... my little brother has had some whacky shit happen to him at the VA

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Even with a scan if they see polyps they will still need to go in....

!SHRUGS!

sfstud33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Same with prostate screenings...they do more damage than good

Yea, i turned 40 a while ago and the doctor couldnt wait to get his finger up my ass. I was waiting for the happy ending that never came :-(

Christosterone

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It does more good than harm, risk of things bad happening are low. And if its clear first time, you don't have to do it for ten more years usually, if at all depending on family history. And the prostate exam they do to you is also beneficial because its the only proactive procedure that a doc can use to feel for a mass

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It does more good than harm, risk of things bad happening are low. And if its clear first time, you don't have to do it for ten more years usually, if at all depending on family history. And the prostate exam they do to you is also beneficial because its the only proactive procedure that a doc can use to feel for a mass
the risk of what happened to me happening to any of you is very low according to the research i have done but it is definitely possible. they are starting to use ct scan (i think) or some other scan that is supposed to be better at finding polyps than the camera, but up if they find anything up the dirt road they go

BigFella

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My wife has had it done. Both sides of her family have a history. No dramas at all for her. She's had it done three times, five years apart.

Summary: Family history + age: Do it.

New Threads