Kidney pain or just lower back strain?

Reaction score
Stats:

Age - 45
Height - 5'10"
Weight - 205
BF - 13-15%
Cycle history - average about two cycles per year since 2010. Usually run test/deca, but have run cycles with NPP, tren E, proviron, and EQ.

Current cycle - started on 7/24 running 600mg deca EW/700mg test cyp EW. Included var starting on 8/21 at 50mg ED (25mg in AM 25mg prior to 6pm workout). STOPPED the var on 9/11 due to feeling lethargic as hell when taking it. I figure 3 weeks of var at 50mg ED was long enough to work past any temporary sides and decided I didn't like the price I was paying versus the gains I was making. I'm also taking .25mg of Liquidex EOD and prami at .25mg ED.

On Thursday 9/12 I did a rather heavy and intense dead lift workout and my lower back felt really tight. I didn't have the strength I expected I'd have and I really struggled to get through the workout. I eventually cut it short due to back fatigue. It has been achy and tight on the left side ever since. The pain isn't in the lower part right above the hip bone, but higher and toward the spinal erectors. It feels like an dull to moderate ache and it's like that muscle group is really fatigued. I haven't done deads since last Thursday when the symptoms began but several other exercises I've done (squats, cleans) make it flair up and I get pumped and easily fatigued. I love dead lifts and it's one of my favorite exercises, mainly because I've developed a strong back over the years and have never had an injury. That's why I have been skeptical about the pain being from muscle strain.

So -- I'm trying to figure out if this is just back pain due to a mild strain or whether this is pain coming from my kidney. I have probably not been drinking as much water as I should, so I could definitely bump up my intake to see if that helps. Aside from that, does anyone have any suggestions for how I can differentiate lower back strain related pain from kidney pain?

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Is there foam in urine?

Is there fatigue?

Is there blood in urine?

The first two are usually dead giveaways...

CAUTION- the amount of foam should be a lot and FOAM CAN APPEAR IF YOU HAVE A LARGE VOLUME OF URINE (like from holding it)

So, if you got a lot of foam, not been holding it, had plenty of water...and it's constant...

Go to a doc.

Is there

Reaction score
No foam. Fatigue? Yes, but that has significantly improved since dropping var from my cycle last week (9/11). No blood in urine.

amore169

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This might sound weird but when my gallbladder started giving me problems my lower back was killing me, it felt like someone was stabbing me in the back. To be sure go to your Doctor to make sure is nothing serious.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Agree with the Bros above. If you've got good insurance, get to your Doc and get looked at to be safe.

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This might sound weird but when my gallbladder started giving me problems my lower back was killing me, it felt like someone was stabbing me in the back. To be sure go to your Doctor to make sure is nothing serious.

That kind of pain is called referred pain

Its symptomatic and good at helping docs find the problem

I too had referred pain before my gall bladder came out

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Back pumps. Up your water intake...

^THIS

no foam, no worry

And fyi OP, i was worried about my kidneys, since I had chonic hypertension (dont drink a ton daily and use gear kids)

Had a lot of foam..creatinine came back a little on the high end

Doc said not to worry and keep an eye on it

Wife put an end to my drinking, BP went normal, and foam lessened greatly

I sure was worried tho, looked like I was pissing Dawn dish soap

My wife is awesome btw :D

Reaction score
I'm fairly convinced this is just back pumps at this point. The past two days I've increased my water intake significantly and it helped until this evenings workout. I now have pain even higher along the spinal erectors above the kidneys. Feels like someone punched me in the kidneys and racked me in the nuts at the same time. Blood pressure might be a bit high, too. I'll take it in the morning to find out. Other than increasing water intake, any other suggestions?

Last edited:

Sapper

Reaction score
Bringing this back since I’m having the same issues. Started tren, lower back pumps and shin splints like crazy if I run too far.

What all have you added/done to help with pain?

I’ll admit water intake has been low bc of work.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Well, I never heard tren and run ever go together!

Reactions: CJ

Sapper

Reaction score
I like to punish myself. I’m slowing down on cardio as I get into tren but even on deadlift and back days it’s awful.

supreme666leader

Reaction score
I always worry about this.. Like if there are some bubble that go away pretty quick is that an issue or like really foamy like you mixed soap with water and wont go away at all?

Sometimes bubbles go away instantly... Once had a urine test and they said there was protein and urobiligen
Showing so i stopped creatine and protein powder and retested a few weeks later and was fine.

Always thought that was weird, could too much protein be the cause?

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Sounds like a back pump to me. Last time I had those was with sdrol. I had stopped taking them, but the pumps lasted another week, and then one Saturday it was like someone flipped a light switch and they just stopped. At the time I had no idea that was what pumps felt like.

You can sometimes help pumps by taking taurine, potassium, and magnesium at various doses. However, just like someone else said, it could be water retention.

If the supplements don't help then you could try a diuretic... pissing out the extra water is helpful sometimes. Dramatically reducing carbs is another way to try to avoid water retention.

New Threads