Thread: Holds

Thanks

Holds

Been getting to a point in my deads where my grip is accually becoming a problem. I've never had this b a issue before but as I get close to 600 it is becoming a concern. I do use straps but only at the very end of sets and workouts to not cheat my back.
    My question is I have been doing holds with the barbell going as heavy as I can up to like 675 and hold for like 5-10 Seconds. So is this a good practice or should I b holding for like 20-30 seconds with less weight?
    Stay consistent!

Thanks
    Might sound weird but the only time ive had trouble with grip is when I was pulling heavy all the time. Shit just gets tired/worn out and needs to rest. I dont know if this is the case for you but if you are doing a ton of deads and going heavy a lot, use the straps a little earlier in the workout.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,368 Times in 2,155 Posts
    I know it sounds stupid but I use hammer curls and wrist rolls to help with my grip.
    I do the same thing you do with the straps, on the last set so I can get as many reps as possible
    traps are the new abs.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,567 Times in 2,315 Posts
    Hold as long as you can hold until you can no longer hold!
    Knock Em Down and Keep Em Down!

Thanks
    Thanked 18,100 Times in 7,789 Posts
    Originally Posted by Big Worm View Post
    Might sound weird but the only time ive had trouble with grip is when I was pulling heavy all the time. Shit just gets tired/worn out and needs to rest. I dont know if this is the case for you but if you are doing a ton of deads and going heavy a lot, use the straps a little earlier in the workout.
    Same here. If I am using a block program with a lot of heavy volume I will actually sleep with carpel tunnel wrist braces to help the forearms recover.

Otherwise I seem to do fine.
    "Overzealous dosing" -Jin

Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

Thanks
    I used to have a grip issue as well. Started doing hammers and reverse curls which have actually helped a lot. Heavy static holds like you are doing will help too. I'd say go as heavy as you can for as long as you can, and focus on adding time to it. Once you get to ~30 seconds, up the weight. I have also started resetting between each rep on deads instead of just touch and go which helps a bit. I only use wraps with shrugs now but I'm not pulling anywhere near 675.

Thanks
    Are you using traditional both overhand grip or one hand facing you and one facing away from you? Also alot of people dont believe that they work, but I have increase grip strength with the hand grippers. Not the cheapy ones, they sell good heavier sets that are 150lbs+ grip resistance. Another thing you can do is hanging pull ups but by wrapping a towel around the bar and hanging from both ends. You can also give chalk a try as well but not quite sure that'll really help with strength too much.