Let's talk Protein Bars / Meal Replacement Bars

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm not advocating a diet consisting entirely of fawking protein bars and I'm not supposing that a meal replacement bar > a conventional meal consisting of "real food".

This thread is about the poor bastards like myself who sometimes struggle to get meals in due to work (eg. tough to leave the job site, find a refrigerator and / or microwave to prep that chicken and rice). Protein / meal replacement bars seems a reasonable alternative.

So which brands do you prefer and why?

I've been a fan of the Tri-o-Plex Bars for some time. The "Bursting Peanut Butter" gets me nearly 400 calories, 26 grams protein and 36 grams of carbs. Decent macros for a meal replacement, and they taste ok (nice soft texture & the peanut butter actually tastes like peanut butter).

What's your go-to meal replacement when you need to eat on the run?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I had a supreme peanut butter and jelly bar that was so damn good I bought a whole case... It took me a month for my bowels to return to normal though. I avoid bars simply because my stomach hates them. I always get terrible heartburn too... Any store that sells those bars, also sells whole milk. In emergencies, I just grab a quart of whole milk and chug.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
not a fan of the bars.

#TheMatrix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
theres a monster bar I ate....between meals but I didnt skip the following meal. so....still ate 7 times a day and bars in between.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As much as I am NOT a fan of P90X they have a pretty good protein bar. 240 Cals, 20 grams protein, and 34 grams carbs. No running to the toilet after.

Damn POB lol wtf?

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have yet to find a protein bar that doesn't taste like pure hell. i hate those things. i'll stick to the occasional can of tuna between meals.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have yet to find a protein bar that doesn't taste like pure hell. i hate those things. i'll stick to the occasional can of tuna between meals.

Pob's right. The Supreme ones taste awesome. The chocolate and pretzel flavor is good too

#TheMatrix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

did this for the longest....it just got old for me carring around a can opener in the car.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Pob's right. The Supreme ones taste awesome. The chocolate and pretzel flavor is good too

Going to have to look into this chocolate and pretzel flavor. I can't always get to my cooler when we get a break so I need something I can keep in my pocket. Thanks Mate!

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As much as I am NOT a fan of P90X they have a pretty good protein bar. 240 Cals, 20 grams protein, and 34 grams carbs. No running to the toilet after.

Damn POB lol wtf?

Don't wtf me bro when you're eating the friggin beach body ones... kweer

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Processed food is very hard to digest and absorb. Bars and shakes are Industry marketing. I only use them for emergency (traveling).

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Don't wtf me bro when you're eating the friggin beach body ones... kweer

Lol huh? I didn't buy the damn things. My sister in law is into that p90x crap and she asked me to try one of those bars. I was surprised, it was pretty good and the ingredients were pretty healthy. Lol bastard

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I bought a box of those peanut butter pretzel ones. I'm gonna eat 'em all wearing a speedo and covered in tanning oil while thinking about PoB.

metsfan4life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
POB hit it on the head...the Supreme bars are fawking awesome. Its like an orgasim in your mouth practically. Though I must say...hated th PB&J one. Choc Pretzel, PB Crunch, and some other ( I forget), they are awesome. Cookies and Creme is alright

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I bought a box of those peanut butter pretzel ones. I'm gonna eat 'em all wearing a speedo and covered in tanning oil while thinking about PoB.

Savage,
I use to cut the big ones in half and put them in 2 snack bags. I could not eat the whole thing at once or I would have trouble seeing a man about a horse if you know what I mean. Plus I could not stop eating it till it was gone.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Savage,
I use to cut the big ones in half and put them in 2 snack bags. I could not eat the whole thing at once or I would have trouble seeing a man about a horse if you know what I mean. Plus I could not stop eating it till it was gone.

Good call on the split. May try this.

coltmc4545

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Bars are junk. I pack a mini cooler or insulated lunch box and eat my shit cold if I have to.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Bars are junk. I pack a mini cooler or insulated lunch box and eat my shit cold if I have to.

colts right..I dropped almost all the shakes and im gaining much better with real food

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Totally agree. Looking to keep a bar in me pocket for when I'm on a job site and can't get to my cooler (which has been happening a lot lately).

New Threads