How to gain most sufficiently as an ectomorph?

Reaction score
Hi,

Over the course of the last 2 years I've been training on a semi-serious level and gained roughly 7 kg's of muscle.

When I first started my eating pattern was as that of any other average 20 year old that just moved out -> crap.

After doing some reading up here and there, I came to the conclusion I should definitely start eating healthier before I injure myself due to a combination of not having the right nutrition intake / training 3 days a week.

Now, 2 years after I started and after educating myself regarding the human body, pushing the body, how it handles itself under certain pressures, and how to recover properly, I've got the following workout scheme, eating scheme and supplementation scheme. I'm curious what you guys think of it, and where there is room for improvement.

My workout scheme is as follows:

Monday – Shoulders and Abs

Shoulders
Military Press S 4 - R 10 - 14
Seated Dumbbell Press S 4 - R 8
Dumbbell Front Raise S 3 - R 8-10
Dumbbell Lateral Raise S 5 - R 12, 10, 8, 8, 6
Dumbbell Reverse Fly S 3 - R 10

Abs
Weighted Inclined Sit Ups S 3 - R 10
Weighted Inclined Crossed Sit Ups S 3 - R 5 per side
Lying Bicycles S 3 - R 20 per side
Straight Legged Pendulum S 3 - R 10
Above 4 exercises are performed as superset
Planking Till drop

Tuesday - Back
Wide Grip Pull Up S 7 - R 12 down to 6
Bent over Barbell Row S 4 - R 12
One Arm Dumbbell Row R 3 - S 10
Deadlifts R 4 - S 10
Dumbbell Shrugs R 4 - S 8 – 12

Wednesday – Chest and Abs
Chest
Barbell Bench Press R 4 - S 8
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press R 4 - S 10
Decline Dumbbell Bench Press R 3 - S 8
Dumbbell Fly’s R 4 - S 12
Chest Dips R 4 - MAX (weighted)

Abs
Lying Leg Raise + Crunches R 3 - S 15
Abs roller R 3 - S 10
Plate Twist R 3 - S 10 per side
Above 3 exercises are performed as superset
Side Plank Left Till drop

Thursday – Cardiovascular
2 Hours of running with both interval and continuous training methods

Friday – Biceps
Standing Barbell Curl R 4 - S 8
Preacher Curl R 4 - S 8
Standing Hammer Curl R 4 - S 10
Concentration Curl R 3 - S 12
Reverse Barbell Curl R 3 - S 7-8

Saturday – Triceps and Abs
Triceps
Close Grip Bench Press R 5 - S 5
Triceps Kickback R 3 - S 12-15
One Arm Dumbbell Extension R 3 - S 8-10
Lying Triceps Extension R 4 - S 12

Abs
Weighted Inclined Sit Ups S 3 - R 10
Weighted Inclined Crossed Sit Ups S 3 - R 10
Lying Bicycles S 3 - R 20
Straight Legged Pendulum S 3 - R 10
Above 4 exercises are performed as superset
Side Plank Right Till drop

Sunday – Rest

I realize it's hard to gain while doing cardio, specially when you're an ectomorph. But running is a big part of my life. So I won't sacrifice that.

As you can see, I don’t have any leg exercises in this workout scheme. Don’t take me for one to skip leg day however. I have been training legs ever since I started. I’m wondering how I can fit leg day in this workout scheme though, so any suggestions on that are more than welcome.
I was thinking about these 4 leg exercises; and do 1 of them each day. So like; Monday during my shoulder workout, put in a Squatting session. And Tuesday during my back workout, put in a Standing Calf Raise set. I haven’t yet because I don’t know what impact that would have, and if it would be unwise and counter my training. So I’d like to hear some comments on this idea too.

Dumbbell Lunge S 4 - R 5 each leg
Squat S 6 - R 10
Stiff Leg Deadlifts S 4 - R 10
Standing Calf Raise S 8 - R 15-20

Any other feedback, negative and positive, on my work out scheme, sets, repetitions, anything. Let yourself be heard so I can work with it.

Moving on to my eating scheme

I’m an ectomorph, so gaining is quite hard due the high level of carb intake that is necessary.
I eat the following scheme 7 days a week.
Breakfast; I’ve got a self-made blended mix up, which lasts me 2 days, from the following products;

- 1 Banana
- 1 Apple
- 1 Orange
- 500 Grams of pineapple slices
- 500 ml Of any fruit yoghurt (I vary between 4 of them)
- Roughly 150 grams of your daily cheapest muesli
- A blended mix up of roughly 150 grams of kernels, sunflower seeds, rye seed, whole meal seed, wheat and pumpkin seed
- 30 grams of proper Whey Protein Isolate

I’d like to hear your guy’s thoughts on this breakfast, see if I need to add anything, or take anything out of it perhaps. Further, if this mixture suits my needs, I would highly recommend it. It’s super tasty, delicious, filling, rich in sugars to start off the day with a bang and healthy as f*ck. Mix it during the day so when u wake up your lazy ass can just sit down, read the np, chill and eat.

During the day I basically always eat the same, about 10 – 12 buttered whole meal slices with the following on it;

- 2 Eggs spread of 4 slices
- Peanut butter spread over 2 - 4 slices
- Cheese, ham or chicken filet spread over 2 – 4 slices

For dinner I always have a healthy filling meal. From rice with vegetables and chicken, to potatoes with vegetables and beef, to lasagna and other pasta’s. As long as it’s healthy, I’m not too fussy.

In the evenings, when I get hungry I usually eat another sandwich with peanut butter, or cheese with ham or chicken filet. Occasionally I also grab my breakfast mush and have a few bites.

I don’t eat fish, simply, because I dislike the taste. I’d like to have gains, but I’m not one to scarifies awesome food for (perhaps better food) crap I’m not enjoying. I consider food very important, since we eat so much of it. So everything I eat should be met by taste standards up to a certain extend.

I drink about 2-3 glasses of milk during the day, and roughly 2-3 liters of water. I try to avoid coffee as much as I can, but sometimes I enjoy a cup when I feel fatigued during the day due to a hardcore training session of the previous day. I sleep about 7.5 – 8.5 hours a night.

Once more, if you guys see anything ordinary or extraordinary missing, or present that shouldn’t be. I’d like to hear your thoughts. Tips of course, are also more than welcome.

Last off is my supplementation

At the moment I’m only taking the daily fish oil and multivitamins. But I have got good experiences with Creatine in the past, and will add this awesome energy increasing product once more as soon as I can afford it.

I have also been looking on the internet for a carbohydrate substitute and found Maltodextrin.
Now, before I consider buying this seemingly promising product, I’d like to hear experiences of fellow hard-gainers that have tried this product.

In the past I’ve also been taking a variety of amino acids, but decided against it since it’s quite expensive. And on top of it, I’m having all of my amino acids from my WPI at the moment anyway.

I don’t take anything special post-work out, I just make sure I’ve got enough energy from previous eaten food to get me through my work out.
Also during the workout I don’t take anything else besides water. (This might change after I learn more about Maltodextrin)
Post-workout all I have is a protein shake.

If you guys have any tips regarding post-work out products that really worked for you as an ectomorph, or any other additional tips / suggestions, regarding supplementation. I’m all ears.

Now, I realize this is quite a long post with a lot of hidden questions, and room for comments. All I ask of you is to take some time to comment on this to help me out. It would really mean a lot to me, and I would highly appreciate it.

Side note; I’m not a native English speaker. So don’t go grammar nazi berserk on me.

Tom

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you are an ectomorph you need more time eating and less time training.

Having one day for shoulders one for triceps and one for biceps is a terrible idea. And then to see where you can squeeze legs in?

Your priorities are off.

I would suggest:.
Day one legs.
Day two rest.
Day three back
Day four rest
Day 5 chest
Day 6 rest
Day 7 arms and shoulders

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As for the diet you need to count your calories and macros to get an understanding of what it takes to get your weight to climb. .

I think your meals don't look so great. You should simplify.

Breakfast should be 6 or 7 whole eggs and 4 or 5 slices of toast with jam. Drink 16 ounces of chocolate whole milk.

Lunch should be something like chicken thighs with a full fat Caesar dressing on it and some potatoes or rice. Drink another 16 ounces of chocolate milk.

For dinner have a big ass steak with some rice or potatoes. Add butter to the rice or potatoes. Have another 16 ounces of chocolate milk.

Before bed eat a tub of Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.

Have Poptarts throughout the day.

That's a bulker :)

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome to UGB. That's some first post.

POB gave you a solid on your routine.

Your diet also needs significant work. See the diet section and Helios in the sponsor's section.

In in the right place to learn!

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
All of that direct ab work isn't necessary if you focus on the big compound movements, Mate. Heavy squats will hit your abs just fine.

Welcome to UGB!

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
eat big all the time never missing a meal.Lift hard and smart consistently ...Use good gear and growing should be right around the corner

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As for the diet you need to count your calories and macros to get an understanding of what it takes to get your weight to climb. .

I think your meals don't look so great. You should simplify.

Breakfast should be 6 or 7 whole eggs and 4 or 5 slices of toast with jam. Drink 16 ounces of chocolate whole milk.

Lunch should be something like chicken thighs with a full fat Caesar dressing on it and some potatoes or rice. Drink another 16 ounces of chocolate milk.

For dinner have a big ass steak with some rice or potatoes. Add butter to the rice or potatoes. Have another 16 ounces of chocolate milk.

Before bed eat a tub of Greek yogurt or cottage cheese.

Have Poptarts throughout the day.

That's a bulker :)

then clog your toilet cause u just took the biggest shit of your life...get extra rolls u will need them..

hulksmash

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I read "ectomorph" and then scrolled down and see fruits as food

Here we go again

Eat a damn burger or 5...your calories are too low and no training will save you

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I read "ectomorph" and then scrolled down and see fruits as food

Here we go again

Eat a damn burger or 5...your calories are too low and no training will save you

tell him about the hulk death stack..that will put size on anyone unless it kills them

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Boy oh boy I can't wait for bundy to get on the trentrain.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
LOL my thoughts exactly

And muy Voy V Zakone droog, I doubt 1g Test E+1g Deca would kill anyone ;)

im talking the hulk death stack...g of deca ,g of tren, g of eq,g of test,70mg superdroll and a bottle of bourbon ...now thats the hulk death stack

Reactions: DF

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
im talking the hulk death stack...g of deca ,g of tren, g of eq,g of test,70mg superdroll and a bottle of bourbon ...now thats the hulk death stack

You forgot to mention that Hulk pops Abombs like they're tic-tacs completely disregarding any sort of planned dosage. Dem genetics of the pros!

Oh, one more thing I learned from this guru is that when you **** up and eat too much sodium/shit food and get bloated...slam a shitload of letro and you'll dry right up! :)

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello Nixoning and thank you for your post.

I get the impression that you are a very active guy and can see you've put a lot of thought into this. Though I like what POB recommended I for some reason get the feeling you need to go in a different direction that would be a better fit for you. You mention that running is a big part of your life.. I also noticed you like a lot of ab work and cardio.

I could be wrong but why do I get the feeling that cross fit training is more suitable for you? Have you ever looked into cross fit training?
Now I have my quarrels with cross fit training especially when it comes to high rep Olympic lifts but there's no doubt that people into cross fit are definitely "FIT" with a decent level of muscularity.

Your thoughts?

HDH

Elite
Reaction score
If I was an ecto...

I would be at the all you can eat pizza place ED.

Did I mention pizza again? :beaten:

J/K bro, there are better foods to eat, just not as good :)

HDH

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Bring the volume waaaay down brother. I'm in the same boat as you and I will be in the gym no longer than 25 minutes.

FreeBirdSam

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Please take POB's diet seriously. He may come across as kidding but he's not. A diet like that will make you big. Ectos need to not worry about the mirror, prepare to buy larger pants sizes... prepare to buy larger shirts.. prepare to hear people talk about your love handles.. embrace the fat, because the fat will help you preserve muscle. A lot of people will tell you to "clean bulk" and you CAN bulk and keep body fat at a minimum, but why? its so much easier for ectos to shed that body fat later why not just bulk the easy way? Most ectos have a very active life/work and you need that little bit of body fat to help preserve your muscle.

Trust me when I tell you that the fastest way to get big is to gain bodyfat AND muscle.. big progressively heavier compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, pullups, ROWS, bench presses.. etc..) alongside a BIG diet like POB gave you will make you.....

thats right....

BIIIIIGGG.

Good luck my friend and welcome to UGB. stay dedicated for a few months and you will see it don't have to be very complicated.

-Sam

Last edited:

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If I was an ecto...

I would be at the all you can eat pizza place ED.

Did I mention pizza again? :beaten:

J/K bro, there are better foods to eat, just not as good :)

HDH

Same here brother. I think i would have pizza with that smuckers peanut butter on it. And i would wash it down with the POB go to drink. Giant glass of chocolate milk.

Reaction score
I know I'm late to the game here, and it looks like you'vs gotten some great advice already, but I'm gonna echo some of that cause this hits close to home for me.. I was maybe 170 lbs into my mid twenties and I'm 6'3".. it took me eating like a damn horse CONSISTENTLY to start gaining. It can't take a back seat man. If it's time for a meal, treat it like your #1 priority. I had a guy tell me "eat everyday like it's thanksgiving"
The other thing is the training. I know you've heard it already, but again I went through this too. What worked for me was switching to a powerlifting routine. I worked 3 days a week, legs, back and chest and only did big compound movements. Hardly any isolation. I did it on a 6 day rotation.. I buckled down about 5 yrs ago and I'm 255 now. I will die preaching that skinny guys can get big, cause I used to think it wasn't possible..

JOMO

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
15lbs of muscle isn't too shabby from what you have been doing for two years work. But some of the meals look light as in breakfast. Depending on how I feel I will eat about 7 eggs with three pieces of toast or 10-12 egg whites with a bowl of Kashi Go lean cereal. If your not a pop-tart snacker like POB, sub it with a half or whole turkey sandwich in between your meals. And the milk if your stomach can handle it.

New Threads