Grip strength and deadlifts

Pinkbear

Elite
Reaction score
Hook grip. In stead of grabbing the bar with your fingers and then thumb, grab the bar with your thumb first and then wrap your fingers around thumb and bar. Hurts like a mother at first but you get used to it.

I don't like wraps or any other kinds of help on my lifts, gloves wrist wraps and belt that's it.

shenky

Reaction score
After all this talk, what are your thoughts on straps? I'm thinking of switching over to chalk.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just ran into this problem over the summer and was able to fix it with static hold (they hurt but work), heavy as I could handle dumbell rows, chalk, and eliminaring straps. I had the mindset straps were ok on the heaviest sets which worked well to get my back strength up but it worked too well. Eventually my forearms and hands couldn't keep up. So I decided my hands are going to do it by themselves or not at all. At first it was frustrating cuz I felt like I neded a lil more work and more weight to really finish off my back but I just did a lower weight and a higher volume to achieve that. It seemed as soon as I ditched the straps my body was forced to catch up. I do believe straps absolutely have an important role in training but if used too much then they can be a handicap. Thats my own experience.

ImDennis

Reaction score
pick up heavy dumbbells and just stand with them, and rack pulls,

TheBlob

Elite
Reaction score
Yup let me reiterate man rack pulls awesome, heavy farmer carries, and that hook grip (with the fingers wrapped around thumbs) are all very good advice... and yeah chalk

ImDennis

Reaction score
yea you'll notice though rack pulls is very easy to max out, only goes to 8 plates on both sides, gotta throw on chains and shyt too on the inside of the bar

Reaction score
yea you'll notice though rack pulls is very easy to max out, only goes to 8 plates on both sides, gotta throw on chains and shyt too on the inside of the bar

Only 8 per side, that's it...hanging my head in embarrassment. Much respect!

TheBlob

Elite
Reaction score
Lol... No kidding. But chains are excellent especially getting through tough spots.. like in deads hanging them above... anyway different story

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I think the best advice I have ever heard came from Ed Coan...seconded by louie Simmons. Do not train your forearm muscles. It will make your hands fatter and makes holding the bar more difficult. Train your grip by holding the bar.

Good enough for Ed and Louie. Good enough for me.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
I think the best advice I have ever heard came from Ed Coan...seconded by louie Simmons. Do not train your forearm muscles. It will make your hands fatter and makes holding the bar more difficult. Train your grip by holding the bar.

Good enough for Ed and Louie. Good enough for me.

That was my point I listen to who is proven not those that read it in an article.

Static holds is a Powerlifters #1 means of getting a better grip.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Louie Simmons gives me a headache. There I said it.

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I like Kroc rows for grip strength. That and jelqing.

Reaction score
I only have seen 2 ways to help with deadlifts grip that actually work for the deadlift, keep in mind these are what the team I was with did and other top notch teams.

Static holds with heavy weight, pull the weight and just hold it until it wants to drop.

I forgot the name for this but you basically roll weight up from the ground holding a very short bar that has rope pulling the weight up as you roll the bar. (This shit is brutal)

Pinching plates, grippers and all that just don't cut it for deadlift grip you need to build the grip you use to pull not your fingers.
Thanks for the useful post :)

Reaction score
why not use straps? they offer the extra push you might need and for me don't seem to detract from my workout

Reaction score
Ressurecting this thread because I'm having grip strength issues on deadlifts now.

Qst: What about those grip strengthener things you squeeze in your hand? Are there any that are good?

I bought one, but can easily do 30 reps with it so I think it's not strong enough.

I'm gonna try the stuff they talked about in this thread also.

chandy

Reaction score
I've kinda always been on track with the whole " hold something heavy for as long as you can" squeezing would go kinda the same.

So farmer carries with some decently heavy weight for u and hold until it is about to give.

With the deadlift take the weight u can do at a 90ish% max and just try to hold it for a few once u get up. Instead of going for reps.

In your case with the things u squeeze I bought the 280ish? Or 300ish pound one from the brand iron something on Amazon a few years ago. I haven't used it in quite awhile. But even not being able to go for reps. Bit getting it Bout 3/4ths the way and just holding it. Is what I did.

But I've also just always had pretty good grip with being born on a farm so don't just take my word for it. Someone else might have better advice

DOOM

Reaction score
I do farmer carries with 100 lb kettle bells switching between different finger grips. Also two and three finger grip pull ups and chin ups work well.

My favorite is walking a mile home from the super market with ten grocery bags in each hands. :32 (19):

chandy

Reaction score
I do farmer carries with 100 lb kettle bells switching between different finger grips. Also two and three finger grip pull ups and chin ups work well.

My favorite is walking a mile home from the super market with ten grocery bags in each hands. :32 (19):

Oh yea man if u do pull ups using ur fingers instead of actually getting a good solid grip it will work the hell out of them. Just watch out doing that. It can also hyperextend ur tendons pretty easily if u arent use to using a lot of grip. and basically from your wrist to your elbow will just have a stabbing pain. as if u strained ur elbow pretty good from what I have heard.

Haven't had either happen to me but have seen people whom it has happened to. So dont just start off trying to do a lot of em

New Threads