Testosterone causes males to die earlier than females?

Hero Swole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-women-live-longer

So clearly I'm no expert but here's an interesting article that gives a more scientific possible explanation for why women tend to live longer. Also explains why factors such as a healthy lifestyle and less stressful work are not likely causes.

Basically, for those who don't care to read it, it says the health of the female body is important for successful reproduction (to carry, birth and feed the baby) where as the man's reproductive role is a lot less dependent on his continued good health.

Apparently high levels of testosterone, for male fertility, is actually bad for long term survival. Not exactly sure why though.

http://www.reddit.com/r/explainlike...why_do_women_live_longer_than_men_on_average/

graniteman

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
everybody got to go sometime, might as well go out looking and feeling good! i don't put much stock i nthese studies anymore. Look at all the flip flops in the past, they change their opinion every 6 months

Hero Swole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My grandfather, aunt and uncle died of cancer. My grandmother had Parkinson my dad MS my cousin is a junkie. Id rather die of a heart attack "due to aas" if you ask me. "Or too much testosterone". I accept my mortality. Lift Heavy, Get wiser, Stay Sexy.

TylerDurdn

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If that info is right, I have no problem being wrong.

regular

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd rather be a man and die sooner than be a woman. I'd rather die sooner with adequate amounts of testosterone in my body. The author didn't provide a single citation for any of the claims the article made.

Rumpy

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Maybe we die sooner because of all of the risk factors associated with all of the stupid shit we do trying to impress females.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Maybe we die sooner because of all of the risk factors associated with all of the stupid shit we do trying to impress females.

Like taking steroids to look like Olympians in order to impress females? :)

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
everybody dies, it's how you live that matters

shenky

Reaction score
I'm surprised I made it this far

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Prolonging life for the sheer sake of fleecing that poor bastard out of his life's savings is big business. When I first came to the States I worked part time at a "Retirement Community" and let me tell you those poor devils have next to zero quality of life and are basically being kept alive so they (or their families) can make a monthly payment. It broke my heart (and I've seen some fawked-up sh1t).

Give me 60 good years feeling like a Man - or until I can no longer look after myself competently - and I'll take care of things myself at that point.

New Threads