Advice on changing this

Reaction score
fullbody split a lot of guys on here preach. ive been doing it with good results so far

1 set for 13 different muscle groups
heavy: 6-10 reps on compounds, 8-12 on isolations
volume: 15-25 reps

Movement set 1:
Day A - Heavy upper body, volume lower body
Day B - Heavy lower body, volume uppper body
Movement set 2:
Day C - Heavy upper body, volume lower body
Day D - Heavy lower body, volume upper body

rest day between each workout. (or just go M W F like youve been doing)

For both movement sets you pick one exercise for each of these groups:
Chest compound
Shoulder compound
Tricep compound
Shoulder iso
Tricep iso
Back thickness
Back width
Bicep iso
Hamstring iso
Quad compound
Quad iso
Calves
Abs
Yeah I've watched this before,Il look into it again

Reaction score
It would get used to the same stimulus, which does not apply if training to failure/progressive overload.

You could move to PPL and find some novel training stimulus from it, but full body is actually the most efficient approach at training.

PPL 3x.wk = 1 day of stimulus for each muscle, per week (1)
Upper Lower 3x/wk = 3 days of stimulus for each muscle, every two weeks (1.5)
Full Body 3x/wk = 3 days of stimulus for each muscle, every week (3)

So what's more effective, hitting a muscle 3x a week or once per week?
Answer: Depends on your recoverability.

BUT an increase in training volume RE overall sets per muscle per week can be increased by changing your training from time to time. You'd see a better effect changing your training system (say from DC to Fortitude, as an example) for novel training stimulus though.
Any advice on how to improve recovery for a natty?
Bar sleeping well, eating right and not drinking alcohol.
I work as a framing Carpenter so my muscles are always going during the day as it's quite physical work

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
I work as a framing Carpenter so my muscles are always going during the day as it's quite physical work
Yoga. I’m not even joking.

Reaction score
Keep fats at 0.3g/lb and protein at 1g/lb. Not lower, not higher. Replace the rest of your saved calories with carbs.

Going on walks, stretching, yoga (as said above) all count as "active recovery". Otherwise, you already said all the big ones.

buck

Reaction score
If you like full body you can always change the movements you do on occasion to keep it interesting. If not the are countless different routines/splits that can be done. I myself do not believe there is one best holy grail of a way to train at least from the science i have seen so far.

Reaction score
If you like full body you can always change the movements you do on occasion to keep it interesting. If not the are countless different routines/splits that can be done. I myself do not believe there is one best holy grail of a way to train at least from the science i have seen so far.
I agree with you science or no science. I don't compete, I just go for what I like best and what works for me plus one program=super boring to me.

If there is one thing we can count on even with science is that things change and theories/views can and sometimes are proven incorrect down the road.

I like to experiment more myself and I'm always open to new ideas. If I try them and they don't work for me, no harm, back to what I was doing.

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been doing the full body workout below for the last year and looking for a change. I workout Mon, wed and Fri.
Goals hypertrophy
Weight 190lbs
Age 38
I consider myself to have a good base and form.

Too soon to jump to a PPL program?
Do I keep the compound exercises and switch up the isolation exercises?

Week 1 ABA
Week 2 BAB
Repeat
3 sets of reps 8-12

Workout A

Bench Press
Squat
Pull-Ups
Lying Hamstring curls
Standing Overhead Press
Kneeling Face Pulls
Drag curls

Workout B

Deadlift
Incline Dumbbell Press
Bulgarian Split Squat
Chest Supported Row
Dumbbell Lateral Raises
Overhead Tricep rope extensions
High to Low Chest Cable Flies

Thanks
How is your recovery on your current program? If performance has stalled then it’s time to switch to a PPL program. If you’re still making progress then just substitute mechanically similar exercises to keep it from being boring.

Keep the compound lifts. As a beginner-intermediate lifter you don’t need to focus on certain muscles with isolation lifts. The compound lifts will give you the most bang for your time.

Pick exercises to perform to failure while maintaining good form and technique. Get a spotter if you need to. Those last few reps that make your face grimace and distort are the money reps. Those will be very effective for hypertrophy because they recruit the most muscle fibers. Whether you get there with volume or by doing sets straight to failure, if your not killing those last reps you aren’t maximizing your gains.

Don’t forget diet either. Plenty of protein, carbs to fuel your workouts and a little healthy fats. If you are blast and cruise then less fat since your hormones are exogenous.

Reaction score
How is your recovery on your current program? If performance has stalled then it’s time to switch to a PPL program. If you’re still making progress then just substitute mechanically similar exercises to keep it from being boring.

Keep the compound lifts. As a beginner-intermediate lifter you don’t need to focus on certain muscles with isolation lifts. The compound lifts will give you the most bang for your time.

Pick exercises to perform to failure while maintaining good form and technique. Get a spotter if you need to. Those last few reps that make your face grimace and distort are the money reps. Those will be very effective for hypertrophy because they recruit the most muscle fibers. Whether you get there with volume or by doing sets straight to failure, if your not killing those last reps you aren’t maximizing your gains.

Don’t forget diet either. Plenty of protein, carbs to fuel your workouts and a little healthy fats. If you are blast and cruise then less fat since your hormones are exogenous.
wouldnt a 2day split be the next step before ppl?

Reaction score
No. Why do you think that?

It depends on his recoverability.
well if fullbody needs to be broken down into more segments for recovery why not do 2 segments before 3 segments?
I think the tbjp program has you switch to an upper lower variation after fullbody progress stalls

Reaction score
well if fullbody needs to be broken down into more segments for recovery why not do 2 segments before 3 segments?
I think the tbjp program has you switch to an upper lower variation after fullbody progress stalls
You’re right. But I’d still say it depends on recoverability. If he can handle upper/lower split then yes. Absolutely.

Reaction score

My recovery is pretty good, I eat well and sleep well and rarely drink alcohol.

Still making progress increasing the reps and in turn increasing the weight. Normally aim for failure on last set.

I'm rarely sore the next day but that isn't a bad thing necessarily. Probably means I'm eating and sleeping enough, considering how hard I work in the gym.

I added a third day, kept the compounds and switched up the iso exercises, so looks like this

Monday

Walking dumbell lunges
Bench Press
Weighted pull ups
Military press
Reverse pec deck
Hammer curls with rope

Wednesday

Deadlift
Icline 30 degree dumbbell press
Barbell rows
Lateral raise (front delt)