All tips to prevent any injures is welcome

BrotherIron

Reaction score
Conditioning, prehab/ preventative work, correct/ address imbalances, and listen to your body but also PUSH yourself.

You can't exclude them but you can work on limiting them.

Oldbastard

Reaction score
Thanks for this awesome post great ideas ! I am 56 I have trained daily in many martial arts since age 5 , bodybuilder since age 15 . Age 15-35 totally natty but hey I needed assistance too fight Mother Nature so I don't consider aas or hgh cheating! Any way I believe moderate practice of that is one manner in improving recovery as I want too look and feel good for as old as I get . I have no family never even close so I guess I tip my hat too all you fathers and husbands etc because I could not devote my life too eating and training . Yes eating very important, I've never partied , I hate the taste of alcohol or pot nasty ! Plus I feel getting rest is vital too keeping injuries too minimal. If you are over tired too me you can actually make mistakes in judgement while training and pull something.

I had my spine reconstruction in 1995 - I deadlift and squat etc no limit

Both hips replaced I have no pain I have no issues doing legs .

I used too have major wrist and shoulder issues but through my understanding of exercise etc I went from pre- surgery in 1998 too pain free still and I never looked back .

Warming up is key . Stretching is not a part of warming up - you gain mobility after the muscles are warm . Light cardio or light activity in my case I practice my Filipino Kali or Japanese sword movements as it rotates my shoulders knees hips etc .

If I don't feel like that I'll always do cardio for 8-12 minutes until I begin too feel a sweat . For upper body workout I always do what they call ," pendulum " exercises in physical therapy. It loosens and strengthened the tiny rotator cuff tissues . That is key too keep your shoulders pain free . Then during the initial exercise of any body part you pyramid up from lighter weight just too loosen up get blood flow .

I've had both types of elbow injuries from all my recreational activities. During those times where I do bicep exercises or lat exercises and my inner elbow or lower bicep area is tender - I've actually trained around this and resolved it by doing forearm exercises first . Wrist curls , wrist extensions emphasize the wrist NOT grip - no rolling the bar down it takes away from isolating the flexors or extensors . However I do have a grip routine I do follow because of my weapons training and helps in Bugei / Bujutsu etc .

Now as old as I am and having shattered my spine in Aikibudo, they repaired my spine by taking a titanium cage inserted in the crack / break then like a concrete mold they placed liquified shavings of my pelvis packed hard . It took two years too heal . However I practice arts That like judo like Aikibudo/ aikido I train by throwing and being thrown violent on my back many schools no mats . So basically I get slammed on my spine 500 times per day no bullshit , then I do heavy weights with no belts no wraps . During my surgery recovery at NE Baptist, Boston one of the most prestigious joint and spine hospitals on planet , they recommended I never wear a belt unless I decide too compete in power lifting . Basically the point was too make the smaller muscles that support the spine serve as support through any and all stress. I can tell you 25 years later when I wake up after 12 hours of seminars it's only my back that NEVER hurts !! No joke ,

In case anyone interested this is a variant of the spine rehab routine at one of the best hospitals on our planet. The experts use too recover from surgery but because of my hobbies they recommend I do as routine for the rest of my life . Usually I do post back or after quads .2-3 times week and honestly I've never missed a planned workout in 20 plus years . In fact 2 days after this spine surgery i managed too train my full body via various machines too support me for example one gym had upside down press for shoulders taking compression off the spine so I still did press lol

Here is my variation of the spine rehab very simple

90 degree hyper extension 3 sets of 25 holding the top of contraction for 3 seconds . ( always my first movement)

Alternatively different workouts I rotate

Nautilus type erector spinea machine 3x 15-20
Or

Reverse hyper machine 3 x 15-20

Stiff dead's 2x 25

Cable woodcutters or rotary torso machine
2x 30

That's it pain free after total spine and double hip replacement surgery.

No limitations in my regular training no pain no tightness.

Of course when I am done weights and any cardio I do have my own stretch routine mostly dynamic movement as opppose too static

Oldbastard

Reaction score
Trust me never neglect the support muscles . The body is only as strong as it's weakest part . I'm big on priority training. But the lower back everyone usually eventually complaining of . If you train it later on when you become an official old bastard like myself, you can be pain free while everyone else whines over the pain they feel lol . Also I did not mention that minimum light abdominal work also helps with the whole Turning the body into its own belt . Particularly the traverse abdominus

New Threads