Anger or Concentration

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I use to think I got the best work out when I was angry or pissed off.

More recently I have found coming in calm, warming up completely, and intense focused concentration is working better for me.

What get you your best results in the gym: Angry / pissed off at the weights them against you feeling or a more calm focused intensity?

AndroSport

Traptheend
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My buddies and i used to literally slap the shit out of eachother while we were in the gym to get us pissed off for the upcoming set... especially if you are under the bar and cant do anything that will get a fire going if someone whips you in the side with a jump rope or something.

I set some good PR's that way to be honest... havent done it in a while though.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I get more motivation pissed. Listen to hard rock/metal gets me going.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I like a calm focused intensity. If I'm pissed that means I am distracted.

FreeBirdSam

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Pantera, ammonia, shot of whiskey

That is all

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Like Df, more motivation pissed. Motivated, pissed and conetrated all in one. Zone out with some heavy metal and go to my happy place. I don't notice most of the stuff going on around me.

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I tend to go more towards the calm intensity. However I like heavy metal to get me in the zone. I have also noticed when I am angry I am just throwing weights around and not fully putting myself with time under tension and full range of motion.

Hero Swole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Somewhere in between. No music.

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Stranglehold, Hells Bells, The Rooster, Sacrifice, etc: calming hard driving tracks to zone out the shithats around me and get in my grove.

losieloos

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Slow and calm, no talking, mix with anadrol I'm all set.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I use to think I got the best work out when I was angry or pissed off.

More recently I have found coming in calm, warming up completely, and intense focused concentration is working better for me.

What get you your best results in the gym: Angry / pissed off at the weights them against you feeling or a more calm focused intensity?

This 100 %! Like POB said, if I'm pissed I'm distracted and do a halfass workout..that doesn't fly..but these days I'm never pissed anyway...my hormones are balanced ;):)

username1

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I could put in more intensity if I was pissed, thing is that normally in life I get irritated easily and things can piss me off but, when I get to the gym I can't find that same anger, I'm just more calm. I don't get it, since I'm sure that intensity would get my adrenaline pumping but, go figure when I actually need to channel that anger it's no where to be found lol oh well, I'm fine with it and it's good to be able to come to a place where I'm actually calm. I think it actually has to do with me getting tired I must have all kinds of energy pent up outside the gym and that's how I get pissed pretty easily but, when I get to the gym and start working out I start using that energy which helps me chill out.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I generally get myself fired up on my ride to the gym. Try to forget the days bs, and get focused. I don't know if I'm angry or intense...maybe a bit of both. Once I start warming up, it's go time.

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My buddies and i used to literally slap the shit out of eachother while we were in the gym to get us pissed off for the upcoming set... especially if you are under the bar and cant do anything that will get a fire going if someone whips you in the side with a jump rope or something.

I set some good PR's that way to be honest... havent done it in a while though.

^^^^This

I train at a private powerlifting gym where we smack and scream at eachother, usually blast some hatebreed, lamb of god, or pantera, and sniff a lot of ammonia. very intense atmosphere that i wouldn't trade for anything. works like a charm.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
^^^^This

I train at a private powerlifting gym where we smack and scream at eachother, usually blast some hatebreed, lamb of god, or pantera, and sniff a lot of ammonia. very intense atmosphere that i wouldn't trade for anything. works like a charm.

You ever find yourself on a quiet night at home digging into the tork for a quick pick me up?

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
A combination of both, I'm not getting under heavy ass weight or setting PR's CALM.

Calm = missed lift!

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Korn, TooL, Pantera, in my headphones. I have to be focused, and fired up.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I am not angry or calm. My best lifts have been when I have been excited. Excited because I am at 6 reps and it feels easy, excited cause I just noticed that a muscle is taking on a new shape, etc. For me being at the gym isn't about being angry, its more about pleasure. I am happiest when I am there.

For those of you who prefer to lift angry....I once saw a boyfriend/girlfriend couple working out together. While he was trying to curl, she insisted he take his headphones out so she nag him about cleaning the house. Now if that wouldn't piss you off I don't know what would.

New Threads