Anybody here on gear that have injuries and train through them?

Reaction score
If so what is injured and how have you modified your workout to accommodate?

I have a SLAP tear in my left shoulder, and a partially torn rotator cuff in my right.

I can modify and do some cable work but personally, I think this is holding me back from going on a cycle because I dont feel 100%.

1bigun11

Elite
Reaction score
I think every serious lifter is nursing some sort of injury most of the time. The way you figure out you're injured is you try to do something and it hurts, so you find an alternative grip, or hand placement, or exercise or whatever. Rarely if ever go to the doctor, but constantly wrapping shit and working my way around annoying little pains.

And guess what? It gets worse as you get older, lol.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
This is just me but I want to go into a cycle completely healthy and at my best.

Maybe get yourself fixed up first, bite the bullet now and have a better product down the line.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
You can play hurt but you cant play injured , just have to decide what you are and where you stand on it.

Reaction score
I think every serious lifter is nursing some sort of injury most of the time. The way you figure out you're injured is you try to do something and it hurts, so you find an alternative grip, or hand placement, or exercise or whatever. Rarely if ever go to the doctor, but constantly wrapping shit and working my way around annoying little pains.

And guess what? It gets worse as you get older, lol.
Most of my injuries occurred outside of lifting, but of course affect lifting to a great degree. Everything I do involves dumbbells or cables as I then have the flexibility to adjust a grip, vary the path of travel slightly, etc. I certainly don't wish to deal with these handicaps but I'm playing the cards I'm dealt. And yes, it becomes more difficult as I age. Gear definitely aids in recovery and gives me the ability to go at it with at least a respectable amount of intensity.

Thrawn

Elite
Reaction score
Yes , no. I've had multiple hip surgeries walk with a cane about half the time. So my upper body pretty much gets all the training. But holy shit I could be a stalkings or leggings model for girls clothing, My wife tells me all the time how she wishs that she had my legs lol

buck

Reaction score
I have had surgeries to repair both my shoulders as well as my spine. With other injuries as well. My hips and knees are getting pretty arthritic but don't need surgery yet. If something is torn, then surgery is most likely the only way to fix it in my experience and just gets worse if you don't. It is all about quality of life for me.

Reaction score
My only issue has been some tendonitis creeping up from time to time. I know how to deal with it now, so I can work around it, treat it, and let it heal up before going back to what I normally do.

RowdyBrad

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
On TRT right now, but numerous injuries including partial knee tear, 1 major RC tear (dislocates and has divot of missing muscle) and a partial on the other shoulder. Nerve blocks in my lower block and nerve radiofrequency. Some minor ones too.

Long story short, you can train around basically anything, just use great form and always keep control of the weight. Change angles to where you are comfortable or switch to another exercise. There is almost always another way to train the same muscle, just need to find the one that works for you and there is no right or wrong form as long as it doesn't hurt you and it stimulates the muscle you want.

Reaction score
Not sure I’d call them injuries, just a byproduct of getting older so I just deal with it and move on. I won’t get any better so fuck it.

If you’re young and plan on getting things repaired I’d probably hold off until you’re 100 percent.

I have rheumatoid arthritis and lupus so I’m always in some sort of pain/discomfort. I got off meds years ago and just manage mostly thru diet and continued exercise. My body hates me and I hate it back.

And then a metal rod/screws in my leg to fix tib/fib fracture. Not always noticeable but I do tend to favor that leg. And it’s a little less developed than the other.

Reaction score
I started up a somewhat moderate to hefty cycle as of two weeks ago. I tore my left latisimus dorsi while progressively going heavier with deadlifts back in August. I am refraining from going as heavy as I can lift. I am not doing deadlifts for the time being. Whenever I do back I am very cautious. I am experimenting with time under tension which forces me to do a lot less weight. But I still am training to near failure. I also am typically doing sets of fifteen reps. I can count four to five seconds during the eccentric portion of my exercises. And I drive up as forcefully as I can during the concentric phase. I almost never do a full set without having to rest for a few seconds in order to get my strength back to pump out more reps for a total of fifteen. In a way, it's almost like doing DC training but I am doing two to three sets instead of one with the heaviest weight I can manage.

Being in my fifties I should probably focus on doing time under tension which forces me to go lighter instead of trying to train like I did throughout my twenties and thirties. Although when I was doing DC training I was really liking the results I was getting. Maybe I'll incorporate some of the DC training to parts of my body that aren't affected by my lat.

Reaction score
I have a SLAP tear in my left shoulder, and a partially torn rotator cuff in my right.
I have this as well. In the same side is the pec rupture I had that I am sitting ina hospital bed as I text this all jacked up on dilaodin and oxy…
The slap tear is old. Rupture is new.
Rupture was fixed 8 weeks ago but I gat a abscess that they had to cut me and drain it..

I was I the hospital for the rupture surgery for 5 hrs..
I will be in the hospital for three day getting pumped full of antibiotics Timmy hem..
They just cut it out and now I have a drain tube and every towhee God dam thing..

Anyway. If you do a movement and it does kit feel good do not do it. Love onto something else.

Why would this keep your from a cycle.
I an only on test right now and on a low dose. Why because I know myself.

If I run anything else I am going to feel amazing and best thing you know I will be back in the hospital..

So for me. And I’ve been around a minute or two.. I am just going slow and steady..
Ma slap tear is a minor thing unles it is torn all the way thru the labrum m.. if it’s not they usaull will not fix them. And if they do it’s like a 10-12 week recovery time.. so don’t do it..

Change up your training..

Reaction score
Am 45 and have had some kind of pain on and off the last 5 years that I just train thru. To me, like others in this thread, it's just to be expected and I embrace it and find workarounds in my old age. Shoulder pain, tennis elbow, lower back pain--fvk it, I work around it and target other muscle groups to abuse, uneffected by whatever flavor of the day injury I have. Deca also helps.