Anyone with experience on RP style training?

Jonjon

Reaction score
I’ll be surprised but if there’s anybody I have a couple questions…

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I tried it for a short period of time, but I'm familiar with it.

Jonjon

Reaction score
I tried it for a short period of time, but I'm familiar with it.

Awesome
So here’s the questions I have
Let’s say you’re doing 225 for bench press and for the first set you make it to 12 reps and feel that is 2 reps in reserve. By the 3rd or 4th set, 8 reps may feel like 2 RIR.

So do you decrease the reps throughout the block of sets or do you pick a number of reps and stick with it? It would have to probably be 8 reps for all the sets in this hypothetical situation right?

Also… I’m assuming you try to progress every week through a mesocycle, correct?

Thanks CJ

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I tried it until I realized that I couldn't accurately gauge RIR, and that RIR kind of changes between workouts.

So not a ton of experience, as I bailed on the program early.

Jonjon

Reaction score
I tried it until I realized that I couldn't accurately gauge RIR, and that RIR kind of changes between workouts.

So not a ton of experience, as I bailed on the program early.

I was typing a response to CJ as you typed this. That’s exactly my problem lol

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I was typing a response to CJ as you typed this. That’s exactly my problem lol
I think it's a common problem, and the reason most people here dislike RP style. That and the MRV and other stuff just adds a lot of complexity that we shouldn't even have to really think of.

I think Mike is a smart guy, and I don't even think he trains that way all the time. I know he doesn't use this for all the people he coaches.

Jonjon

Reaction score
What got me thinking about it was Paul Barnett on YouTube. He added over 50lb in 2.5 years between the ages of 47 and 49. That’s the training he used.

I’ve always taken every single set to failure. That’s just how I’ve always done it. Im done with that.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
What got me thinking about it was Paul Barnett on YouTube. He added over 50lb in 2.5 years between the ages of 47 and 49. That’s the training he used.

I’ve always taken every single set to failure. That’s just how I’ve always done it. Im done with that.

He also says he was VERY overdieted for the show where he was the beginning weight. He fully admits that he didn't "really" gain 50 lbs.

He's said this on podcasts, and to me personally. He was my coach for several months. He also said that RP is how he prefers to train now, due to prior injuries. He didn't really care too much about how I trained, as long as it was hard training, and nothing obviously stupid.

Last edited:

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Awesome
So here’s the questions I have
Let’s say you’re doing 225 for bench press and for the first set you make it to 12 reps and feel that is 2 reps in reserve. By the 3rd or 4th set, 8 reps may feel like 2 RIR.

So do you decrease the reps throughout the block of sets or do you pick a number of reps and stick with it? It would have to probably be 8 reps for all the sets in this hypothetical situation right?

Also… I’m assuming you try to progress every week through a mesocycle, correct?

Thanks CJ

Two ways to do it.

1. Same weight every set, stay at the prescribed RIR, so yes, your reps will decline. This way is perfectly fine if your reps stay within a reasonably close range. Something like 12, 10, 8 would be fine, but if it were 12, 8, 5, I'd try the next method...

2. Each set, the weight is adjusted independently to stay within the desired rei range, at the desired RIR. This might look something like... 200 x 10, 185 x 9, 170 x 11 of going for an 8-12 rep range for example. If any weight has too many reps, add weight the next session.

The 2nd way is how I like to train, but I don't bother with RIR, for the reasons Sendo stated. And I also don't add more sets workout to workout, the MWV to MRV thing is overcomplicating things, in my opinion. I prefer the stay in the sweet spot for volume, which would be MAV in Dr Mike's nomenclature. I keep it down to ONE SINGLE variable, the load lifted.

Jonjon

Reaction score
He also says he was VERY overdieted for the show where he was the beginning weight. He fully admits that he didn't "really" gain 50 lbs.

He's said this on podcasts, and to me personally. He was my coach for several months. He also said that RP is how he prefers to train now, due to prior injuries. He didn't really care too much about how I trained, as long as it was hard training, and nothing obviously stupid.

Yes I know that. He looked like a starving Ethiopian starting out. But still, to even add 20lb in 2 years at that age is extremely impressive.

I’m gonna try my own version of this training. Main changes I’m making is leaving the all out failure on every set and no longer only training each muscle group once per week. This type of training has worked ok for me but I haven’t made any real progress in a year. I’m 40 now and honestly I believe my problem is under recovering

So I’m gonna try scaling it back on intensity and increasing frequency. Gonna do PPLPP
Hitting upper twice a week and legs once. Legs have continued to improve hitting them once a week, so for now I’m gonna leave them like they are.

Jonjon

Reaction score
@CJ if training parts twice per week, any reason to not keep some of the same movements for both sessions?

For example I love bb rows for back. I get a better connection with that movement than any other. Is there any reason to not include it in both back sessions?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
@CJ if training parts twice per week, any reason to not keep some of the same movements for both sessions?

For example I love bb rows for back. I get a better connection with that movement than any other. Is there any reason to not include it in both back sessions?

It's fine, you'd rather use a movement that's better for you anyway. That's not the ONLY thing I'd do for back, but it's better doing BB Rows twice vs BB Rows and Cable Rows once each, if you get more out of the BB Rows, for your horizontal pull movement.

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
I think it's a common problem, and the reason most people here like RP style. That and the MRV and other stuff just adds a lot of complexity that we shouldn't even have to really think of.

I think Mike is a smart guy, and I don't even think he trains that way all the time. I know he doesn't use this for all the people he coaches.
I actually think the MRV that was largely popularized by RP is very valuable.

Obviously it lands on the more intermediate/advanced side since it only becomes a factor with perfect consistency and training intensity.

Most people put far too much attention to what split is best, or how many sets, or exercise selection, or whatever, when you can find out exactly the right split/number of sets/frequency/anything simply by asking yourself one single question.

"At what point am I recovered?"

The answers to that question are the backbone to any intelligent individualized program.

Recovered 2+days before next session?
Okay add more volume or frequency.

Feeling not quite recovered next session?
Drop a set or two.

MRV I feel is one of the most important variables that most people neglect to consider, and then wonder why they aren't making the progress they believe they should. And it doesn't have to be all that complicated

New Threads