Are you humble?

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was just reviewed the threads I've created over the past 11 years here ... all totaled I've posted 178 threads with this being 179 ... my profile is not private you may review any of them ...

I've spent the last week or so reviewing them ... and most of all I've appreciated all the quality responses from many experienced members who took their time in responding and helping me on my journey ...

The one consistent thing I noticed was my inability to accept constructive criticism (at the time) only to appreciate it later ... I've also noticed a tendency that I often react negatively or defensively to other ways of doing things or that others may get excellent results from and do things very differently than me ...

There was a consistent lack of humbleness or openness even though I was posting a question or concept for the forum to discuss ... This is something I'm going to work on and got me wondering if others have considered it as well ...

So my question today is "Are you humble" ?

P.S. Please do not confuse being humble with weakness ... many of best most experienced members here have been and I'll use a previous Super-mod Jin as an example ... very knowledgeable and yet humble ... which I now see with 20/20 hind sight ...

TeddyBear

Tren Made Me Gay
Reaction score
Bar none, I am the most humble-est
Number one at the top of the humble list
My apple crumble is by far the most crumble-est
But I act like it tastes bad outta humbleness
The thing about me that's so impressive
Is how infrequently I mention all of my successes
I poo-poo it when girls say that I should model
My belly's full from all the pride I swallow
I'm the most courteous-biddable, hospitable
Reverential, normal-ary Arnold Schwarzen-orgarary
I hate compliments, put 'em in the mortuary
I'm so ordinary that it's truly quite extraordinary
- Connor 4 Real

I’m glad you’ve come around; some people don’t allow themselves the pride or self-congratulation they’ve earned. Sometimes that’s a fear of pride, other times it’s deep seated inferiority.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I try to be humble, but I don't think I am. I think true humbleness is difficult to achieve just due to the nature of being a human.

All I can say is I don't talk about myself, take many pictures of myself, or things like that.... but this is more about not liking certain aspects of myself more than anything else.

In terms of knowledge.. there are things I know, but I accept that someone else knows more than I do, and also accept that there's far more that I do not know than the things I do know.

Again, not humble... but I also don't believe myself to be arrogant. I'm aware of my faults and limits, those around me will never have to worry about me bragging about myself or having an inflated ego, and I think this is as far as I'll ever get to being truly humble.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I try to be humble, but I don't think I am. I think true humbleness is difficult to achieve just due to the nature of being a human.

All I can say is I don't talk about myself, take many pictures of myself, or things like that.... but this is more about not liking certain aspects of myself more than anything else.

In terms of knowledge.. there are things I know, but I accept that someone else knows more than I do, and also accept that there's far more that I do not know than the things I do know.

Again, not humble... but I also don't believe myself to be arrogant. I'm aware of my faults and limits.
With this said, there are some things I'm closed minded too or skeptical of. However I think it's possible for a person to be skeptical but still be humble. I think skepticism is healthy.

But me? I'm not humble, but I try to be balanced. Whether I'm successful at that or not is a different story entirely.

cavorite

Reaction score
on this board i am, because i don't know anything. i try to restrict my comments to dick jokes or niche topics where i have personal experience.

in life? it's probably a more attractive personality trait than the opposite. the most successful people i know are all humble (outwardly at least).

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
No.

But people often mistake self-loathing for humbleness and I've stopped correcting them.

Then I must really love myself (or whatever the opposite of self-loathing is) ...

I guess my question could have included is being humble a worthy goal ...

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Google.com ma ma ll
To quote a great philosopher...

"I yam what I yam"

-Popeye, sailor man
I thought he said "Arf! Arf! I'm strong to the finish, cause I eats my spinach - I'm Popeye the sailor man ... or something to that effect ...

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Bar none, I am the most humble-est
Number one at the top of the humble list
My apple crumble is by far the most crumble-est
But I act like it tastes bad outta humbleness
The thing about me that's so impressive
Is how infrequently I mention all of my successes
I poo-poo it when girls say that I should model
My belly's full from all the pride I swallow
I'm the most courteous-biddable, hospitable
Reverential, normal-ary Arnold Schwarzen-orgarary
I hate compliments, put 'em in the mortuary
I'm so ordinary that it's truly quite extraordinary
- Connor 4 Real

I’m glad you’ve come around; some people don’t allow themselves the pride or self-congratulation they’ve earned. Sometimes that’s a fear of pride, other times it’s deep seated inferiority.
You had me at apple crumble ....

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Google.com ma ma ll
I thought he said "Arf! Arf! I'm strong to the finish, cause I eats my spinach - I'm Popeye the sailor man ... or something to that effect ...
He also says "I yam what's I yam, and that's all that I yam".

Popeye actually has a few catch phrases 😅

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Since I am obviously a Popeye scholar, here are some more gems 😂

"Blow me down!"
"Ahoy!"
"I yam what I yam and that's all I yam"
"That's all I can stands, 'cause I can't stands no more!"

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Again, not humble... but I also don't believe myself to be arrogant. I'm aware of my faults and limits, those around me will never have to worry about me bragging about myself or having an inflated ego, and I think this is as far as I'll ever get to being truly humble.
Yes as I was reading my posts some from the last 10 years the one consistent theme was my ability to take offense become defensive or find an argument instead of truly listening or being open to either a different opinion or even just stupid comments ... had I approached things more humblely many of conversations would have gone differently ... I know we can not change our pasts but we can certainly learn from them ...

As for you I do not believe it's natural for you to interact in group environment and I admire how you come out (of what at least I perceive) of your comfort zone for the benefit of this community ... I have fundamentally disagreed with much of your content over the brief time you've been here but I also now recognize again with hind-sight that you've spent a lot of your time and effort when this community really needed it most ... with the massive changes that came from one admin leaving and never being replaced plus literally merging with another board ... you (and CJ) have done a tremendous amount of work with little to no appreciation ... I do bow to your thankless service ...

New Threads