Basic self defense class for lazy/busy people

TeddyBear

Tren Made Me Gay
Reaction score
All bullshit advice. Fuck these guys. Bunch of wannabes.

Permit to carry and carry at all times. There’s no fighting people that are unpredictable and have nothing to lose. Like @silentlemon1011 said, RUN. But if you can’t run, shoot to drop them. There’s rarely second chances. Especially for your girl.
I was gonna say I was suprised.

IMO:
1. Be smart: if you’re responsible and not an idiot, you can likely go your whole life without being in danger. None of my family members or friends have been in a physical or dangerous conflict beyond a schoolyard scuffle. Collectively that’s hundreds of years of potential conflict. (Granted, my BF has been in fights, but that’s what happens when you’re routinely at bars after closing.)

2. Run: you can flee conflict. You’re much likely to survive a dangerous encounter by fleeing. There is a reason that’s the first suggestion for people being kidnapped or targeted by shooters. The odds of someone ELSE being injured innocently is lower too.

3. Gun: just get a carry permit. It’s not a deterrent if people don’t know, but it’s your last defense. I’m not a gun guy, but I’m not opposed to them either. Dad and his friends were corrections, so they each believed that each family member needed a miniature arsenal.

Fun tip: I read somewhere that an American flag is just as effective as the ugly placards at dissuading home intruders. They associate a flaying flag with a gun. Which all together has a lot to say about the perceived intersections of patriotism, gun ownership, criminality, etc.

Human_Backhoe

Photoshop Picasso
Reaction score
I was gonna say I was suprised.

IMO:
1. Be smart: if you’re responsible and not an idiot, you can likely go your whole life without being in danger. None of my family members or friends have been in a physical or dangerous conflict beyond a schoolyard scuffle. Collectively that’s hundreds of years of potential conflict. (Granted, my BF has been in fights, but that’s what happens when you’re routinely at bars after closing.)

2. Run: you can flee conflict. You’re much likely to survive a dangerous encounter by fleeing. There is a reason that’s the first suggestion for people being kidnapped or targeted by shooters. The odds of someone ELSE being injured innocently is lower too.

3. Gun: just get a carry permit. It’s not a deterrent if people don’t know, but it’s your last defense. I’m not a gun guy, but I’m not opposed to them either. Dad and his friends were corrections, so they each believed that each family member needed a miniature arsenal.

Fun tip: I read somewhere that an American flag is just as effective as the ugly placards at dissuading home intruders. They associate a flaying flag with a gun. Which all together has a lot to say about the perceived intersections of patriotism, gun ownership, criminality, etc.

People always associate farmers as armed to the teeth. That why they have switched to violent home invasions

TeddyBear

Tren Made Me Gay
Reaction score
People always associate farmers as armed to the teeth. That why they have switched to violent home invasions
We may have had pathetic little groomed terriers, but the house had John Wick levels of accessible weapons for no good reason.

Every Fathers Day was an excuse to get ammo or a kit to assemble a new “legal” gun.

Reaction score
I'm back in the US, and apparently a tent city has opened up near my GF's place in DC. We've both been harassed multiple times already by the new "neighbors".

It occurs to me that I don't know anything about fighting. I feel like I should know how to throw an effective punch or subdue an attacker.

I'm not trying to learn MMA or anything – I just want to be able to handle myself if something happens. And not spend a ton of time learning it.

Would Krav maga be helpful?

There are tons of youtube videos, but that's no substitute for actual practice.
Krav Maga can be a practical and efficient self-defense system. It incorporates elements from different martial arts and emphasizes self-defense skills rather than sportive techniques.. (y)

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
No matter how well-versed you are in self-defence, your best bet is to just leave. Getting shanked with a rusty knife trying to fight some street greaseball is not worth it.

The guy with nothing to lose has a distinct advantage in hostile confrontations.

I’m a pretty good boxer and fighting would be my last option.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This is a complex question with no simple answers. Anyone here who knows how to use a gun is equally familiar with those who are not familiar with guns or how to use them. Many people are separated from their gun and killed with their own weapon. This happens all the time in home invasion's and even experienced gun users (IE police) are killed with their own weapon.

#1. Do not pretend there are simple solutions to potential lethally situations.

#2. Guns only work if you're willing to pull the trigger and live with the consequences (many are not so having a gun could increase the danger not reduce it).

In conclusion, have you given any thought on how this situation could be avoided altogether. Being smart often in more practical than being tough.

#1: Take a completely different route and avoid these problem people.

#2. Relocate. Nothing is worth losing a family member over.

Reaction score
No one wanted to mention Rex Kwon Do as a viable self-defense method?
7k1i.gif

Do you even know how much it would hurt getting kicked in the face by someone wearing those pants?

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
Pistols put holes in people.

Rifles put holes through people.

First live demo I ever saw was back in 92 or so , Guys from Second Chance.

Dude tucked a phone book behind it to save himself a few broke ribs but he took 4 to the chest from side arm and a couple from FN.

He got lumped up for sure , it was pretty funny.

cavorite

Reaction score
No matter how well-versed you are in self-defence, your best bet is to just leave. Getting shanked with a rusty knife trying to fight some street greaseball is not worth it.

The guy with nothing to lose has a distinct advantage in hostile confrontations.

I’m a pretty good boxer and fighting would be my last option.

I can defend against a knife as long as he comes at me like this

But yeah, I agree with you. I was pissed that there's nothing I can do, but that's just how it is.

Reaction score
In my country we have a saying that kinda translates to "crazy people cross to the other side of the street to avoid drunk/drugged up people"

It's quite risky fighting against this type of people, but a low kick/sweeping their legs with a kick is a good tactic to buy you some time to run away.

I remember seeing a video of some people fighting in parking lot, one of them was a gang member and he got low kicked and fell to the ground like a sack of potatoes.

New Threads