Bench close or wide?

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
2 months ago I started benching close grip.( about shoulder width). I started it to try and bring up my tris. In 2 months time I can now do more weight close than wide. My wide grip used to be pinky on the ring, i just moved it to my ring finger on the ring.
My question is should I try to bring up my wide grip numbers and what assitance work should i be doing to help.
OR Just start benching close grip on bench day and go with it.

Thanks

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What are you benching for? Strength? or are you a bodybuilder?

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Just for strenght. Using 5/3/1. But I would like to go after that wide chest look. Not the round bubble peck.

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I do both. I do a bis/tris day and do close grip. Then chest Ido regular.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thats what I do chest monday wide and close thursday with tri. I split up bi and tri this month. I guess I just got worried because I can do more reps close. I use the same 5/3/1/ workout for both, but as of lately i am getting 3 to 5 more reps on thurs. I take that as getting stronger. Should I be trying to do some more assitance work on monday to help with the wide grip. I use 5 sets of 10 at 90% of the working max for the day. IF I change to using db instead of barbell on monday do you think it will help.

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As you guys have already said, closer will work more triceps and wider will work more chest. Same with push ups. If your shoulders are weak or hurting you may be able to get more on close grip. I do what Big Herm does, I throw some close grip (REALLY CLOSE) in on triceps day and if I work Chest/Tris I will do some of both.

POB asked the golden question: What are you wanting to accomplish with the lift?

Respect,
Vette

Four1Thr33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I aslo do both style depending on day training

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Just for strenght. Using 5/3/1. But I would like to go after that wide chest look. Not the round bubble peck.

That is mostly genetic... Don't fight that.

Mix your grips up. If you want a strong bench, smash the shit out of your triceps 3 times per week. Just abuse them. On my dynamic bench days; keep in mind I don't do much ME bench, I will mix my grip each set. Starting with ring fingers on the rings, bring them in a finger width each set for 4 sets, then move back out.

If your close grip bench is stronger than your "regular" bench, I wonder what your arch looks like.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Do both, Wide for main movement close for 2nd movement as a accessory for Tri's.

Also never go closer the shoulder width or you going to hurt yourself, wrist will hate you.

When you do it close tuck your elbows in, extend your arms than on the downward movement twist your elbows towards your ribs then at the bottom explode up with your Tri's not lats and shoulders Tri's only.

Your bench must be off somewhere because nobody pushes more close then wide nobody.

Do what Dave Tats says LEARN TO BENCH!

Last edited:

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I do believe its my arch that needs help. My back flexibility sucks. I saw something about using a piece of 4 inch pipe. I think I will have to try that next week.

This helps my to know that my reg bench is what needs work. So if I am doing 245 x 8 close grip what should I be able to do wide for the same 8 reps?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I do believe its my arch that needs help. My back flexibility sucks. I saw something about using a piece of 4 inch pipe. I think I will have to try that next week.

This helps my to know that my reg bench is what needs work. So if I am doing 245 x 8 close grip what should I be able to do wide for the same 8 reps?

Are you foam rolling or doing anything for myofascial release? You want the muscles in your back to be loose. You can buy different diameter PVC pipes and keep increasing, but it's the whole setup from start to finish. Experiment.

SAD

Reaction score
Do both, Wide for main movement close for 2nd movement as a accessory for Tri's.

Also never go closer the shoulder width or you going to hurt yourself, wrist will hate you.

When you do it close tuck your elbows in, extend your arms then on the downward movement twist your elbows towards your ribs then at the bottom explode up with your Tri's not lats and shoulders Tri's only.

Your bench must be off somewhere because nobody pushes more close then wide nobody.

Do what Dave Tats says LEARN TO BENCH!

Not true. KK benches more close than wide. And my training partner benches (pauses) 450 with shoulder wide grip, but less than 400 wide. I agree that the vast majority of people bench more wide(r), but there are the anomalies.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Are you foam rolling or doing anything for myofascial release? You want the muscles in your back to be loose. You can buy different diameter PVC pipes and keep increasing, but it's the whole setup from start to finish. Experiment.

I am still learning the mental cues, workout alone. I made signs and put them on the ceiling. I will start foam rolling.

G

Georgia

Flat go wide and work the chest. You get a better tricep work out going close grip on the decline because it allows for a more natural triceps extension/push.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Agree with the advice re: both. Close for tris, wide for chest.

Cheers to Georgia for the decline close-grip tip.

DADAWG

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
throw in some reverse grip bench press to REALLY jack those triceps.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think I will start some reverse grip this week. I usually finish with dips amap x 2 then close pushups amap

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That is mostly genetic... Don't fight that.

Mix your grips up. If you want a strong bench, smash the shit out of your triceps 3 times per week. Just abuse them. On my dynamic bench days; keep in mind I don't do much ME bench, I will mix my grip each set. Starting with ring fingers on the rings, bring them in a finger width each set for 4 sets, then move back out.

If your close grip bench is stronger than your "regular" bench, I wonder what your arch looks like.

so I benched this morning see what you guys think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=IypY2MkssLE

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

New Threads