Bro Science vs. Science - Video Debate

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
At the 43:05 mark - referencing becoming an IFBB Pro - Ian: "The people that don't have those genetics should not waste their time chasing a goal that won't happen..."

That is PURE CRAP!

How about if you have no ambition to be a IFBB Pro but ACTUALLY derive pleasure and satisfaction from hardcore body building? That is why I do it. It is the foundation of my entire life and it is the thing that has made me super successful in every other endeavor in which I've engaged.

He talks a lot about body building as "part of his life" and not his "whole life." That is fine for him. To me, it sounds like he is trying to give himself a free pass for not having the heart/will/dedication to try to truly be excellent. What is Ian that you want to be great at doing? I hope you don't say you want to be "well rounded."

Being "well rounded" is an excuse for not being excellent at anything

That bold part sounds like crossfit lol

Cashout

Reaction score
46:14 mark - Ian - "I don't want to see young guys who are academicly capable drop out of college to pursue body building."

Dave - "Why do you feel so strongly about that. Saving these people from themselves?"

Ian - "I don't know. I can't answer that."

I can answer it for you...

It is because you are not willing to commit to achieve a dream or aspiration and you don't want to see other people in the glorious and furious pursuit of the vibrant lifestyle of chasing a dream.

Ian, since you are found of quoting folks, let me give you one of my favorite quotes by Teddy Roosevelt:

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."

63Vette

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
They both make good points. POB posted this up a while back and has forgotten.... That's what marriage will do for you.

I agree with Cashout on this one. Unless you are making it your lifestyle we are not talking about the same things. Hitting the gym occasionally and juicing is NOT bodybuilding. Eating the same damn thing for 20 years shows attention to detail and discipline beyond anything a typical person is capable of and that disciple, as I said in my 'manifesto' transfers to every aspect of your life should you apply it.

Also, where is the rule that says you cannot be both an academic and a bodybuilder? I went to college for the sole purpose of shutting up arrogant little ****ers like Ian; however, I don't see many skinny, pot bellied, bearded, wire frame wearing geeks in my gym.

The discipline required in bodybuilding is beyond anything I have ever had to conquer (including both Military in Special Forces and College with advanced degrees). The sheer length of time required to be disciplined at the highest level of integrity surpasses anything I was ever required to do in a college course.

That being said, if you look at each of these guys from THEIR point of view they both make some valid points.

Much Respect,
Vette

Cashout

Reaction score
I'll have to look this up.

One of Ian's problems is that he fails to realize that life is a competition in every facet and aspect and there will always be winner and losers. turning pro doesn't make someone a "winner" just as not turning pro is a "life wasted."

Cash there is a video with Dave Tate from EliteFTS "on human potential." Not sure if you've seen it but I've posted it a few times... One thing that he talks about (albeit relative to drug use in sports) is about how the majority of people on earth will never understand the competitive mindset. He refers to people that get "locked in" with a laser focus and will do whatever it takes to get to their goals.

I think that explains perfectly the difference between these two individuals.

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Go suck balls kid.

Now for a mature response.................

How many High Level Bodybuilders don't live The Lifestyle and don't eat every 2-3hrs? (especially in prep for a show)?

19 years old.............lol. I'd like to see this guy in his mid thirties (maybe even 20's) crying about PIP.

Cashout

Reaction score
They both make good points. POB posted this up a while back and has forgotten.... That's what marriage will do for you.

I agree with Cashout on this one. Unless you are making it your lifestyle we are not talking about the same things. Hitting the gym occasionally and juicing is NOT bodybuilding. Eating the same damn thing for 20 years shows attention to detail and discipline beyond anything a typical person is capable of and that disciple, as I said in my 'manifesto' transfers to every aspect of your life should you apply it.

Also, where is the rule that says you cannot be both an academic and a bodybuilder? I went to college for the sole purpose of shutting up arrogant little ****ers like Ian; however, I don't see many skinny, pot bellied, bearded, wire frame wearing geeks in my gym.

The discipline required in bodybuilding is beyond anything I have ever had to conquer (including both Military in Special Forces and College with advanced degrees). The sheer length of time required to be disciplined at the highest level of integrity surpasses anything I was ever required to do in a college course.

That being said, if you look at each of these guys from THEIR point of view they both make some valid points.

Much Respect,
Vette

I loved the part about "smart people" and wasting their lives by dropping out of college to pursue bodybuilding. Yeah, I am sure somehow, body building kept me from excelling academically. I'll have to check the Ph.D. on the wall to be certain though.

I actually was faced with that very decision early 90s. I had just placed very respectably in the nationals and the thought did enter my head. I took a lot counsel on the subject and even had an IFBB Pro named Boyer Coe advise me against trying to "make a living" at body building. So I understand what Ian is talking about but there is a huge point that the young man is still missing.

It is very simple. Live your life by following your passion!

If you do what others expect of you you will always met their expectations and likely not ever met your own.

My goal was never to turn pro. Had I turned pro, in itself, it would not have validated or justified what I do.

My goal was and always will be to have a high quality of life which entails doing what I love with the people whom I love.

That is it. Simple. Nothing more to complicate the subject than that.

If you love radio controlled cars do that 100%. If you love softball, 100%, yeah, Ian will never understand that aspect of 'passion.'

New Threads