Can we talk about digestion and poop?

Reaction score
I've never seen a thread on this. What happens to all this food we eat after it goes through our stomach, are we getting all the nutrients we can from it?

Here's why I've been wondering this-

For me, I've have a really fast digestive system my whole life. I'm borderline irritable bowel syndrome. I've never been constipated, not even once in my whole life. I'm also a skinny ectomorph. For those of y'all that have seen my before pics, you know, I was a stickman before I came here.

When I was actively bulking and eating 5k calories a day, my digestive system went haywire. I was crapping 5 or 6 times a day. Poop was never solid.

Was I really getting the benefits of 5k calories if my digestive system was acting like that? I'm not sure...but I doubt it.

Right now I'm probably eating a maintenance or slight surplus (I'm not counting calories right now, but if I had to guess, I'd say 2800-3000). I probably poop once or twice a day. Some of it is somewhat solid (yay!). And I've been maintaining on this.

I'm always looking for new ways to help my body digest food like a normal person, I take some immodium daily to slow things down. I recently started metamucil and some new probiotics. I've seen a few gastro docs and will continue to do so.

I'm interested to hear what others have to say though, even those with the opposite issue. What helps?

Jin

Moderator-San
Reaction score
I have no answers but I’m curious to hear from people who might.

One point that may be a red flag (especially considering the issues from daily consuming Sudafed) is maybe taking Imodium daily. I think generally both those medications are for short term fixes. I’d be very cautious about taking anything that isn’t supposed to be taken daily, on a daily basis.

Was this a recommendation by a doc?

CJ275

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Same thing happens to me when I push my Cals, my bowel movements get, ummmmm, sloppy and I had better know where the nearest toilet is. Weight gain stopped dead in the water, because even though the food goes in our mouth, it doesn't enter our body until it's digested and absorbed. If it goes straight through the other end, you're fighting a losing battle.

I tried digestive enzymes, specifically from Now Foods, at the brand suggestion of Savage, I believe. They made a difference, poops became solid again, and happened more on a schedule. There's an amalayse, a protease, and a lipase in it, to help breakdown the carbs, proteins, and fats.

I'm sure other brands are good also, just sharing what I've used when really pushing the calories.

Also, I eat a fermented or cultured food every day. So the probiotics in them can't hurt either. I eat plenty of veggies and fiber to feed those bacteria, so hopefully something positive is going on inside as well.

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd probably start with a food allergy test and work through an elimination diet systematically. First steps imo for anyone with digestive or acne issues.

I worked through this with one of my athletes and he literally just had a mild beef allergy and removing it from his diet cleared his issues up.

CJ275

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Oh, and if you get gassy on Metamucil, switch to Citrucel.

Reaction score
I have no answers but I’m curious to hear from people who might.

One point that may be a red flag (especially considering the issues from daily consuming Sudafed) is maybe taking Imodium daily. I think generally both those medications are for short term fixes. I’d be very cautious about taking anything that isn’t supposed to be taken daily, on a daily basis.

Was this a recommendation by a doc?

They seem ok with the immodium. It is just an opiate that doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier so pretty harmless.

Although, I will say that I've been reading up on people abusing it lately, and apparently there are some people who take massive amounts of it and get high from it. AND it can cause irregular heart rythms too. So I brought it up with my heart doctor. She didn't seem worried about it though. Idk

Reaction score
I'd probably start with a food allergy test and work through an elimination diet systematically. First steps imo for anyone with digestive or acne issues.

I worked through this with one of my athletes and he literally just had a mild beef allergy and removing it from his diet cleared his issues up.

What kind of food allergy test do you recommend? I read up on the everlywell ones they've been advertising, and doctors pretty much say those are bullshit. I was gonna ask my doctor to make a recommendation.

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What kind of food allergy test do you recommend? I read up on the everlywell ones they've been advertising, and doctors pretty much say those are bullshit. I was gonna ask my doctor to make a recommendation.
I had him go through his doctor. I don't have any feedback on any of the at home kits. All you have to do is tell your doctor you're having acne or gi issues and you think it might be a good allergy and they'll suggest a food allergy test like it was their idea.

Magical

Elite
Reaction score
BPC-157 may help with gut health and IBS (according to the internet) as well as speeding up recovery from injuries. I dont know about taking it long term but it may be worth going down the research rabbit hole.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Have you tried tracking your fiber intake?

If so, how much are you consuming per day, on average?

How about keeping a detailed food log? Could be a good way to identify potential irritants in your diet.

Reaction score
Have you tried tracking your fiber intake?

If so, how much are you consuming per day, on average?

How about keeping a detailed food log? Could be a good way to identify potential irritants in your diet.

I have kept detailed food logs on myfitnesspal. I never looked at the fiber though. I know that some fiber supplements made me really gassy, so I never really thought that would be a good solution. But now I am trying Metamucil and it is not making me gassy. I think it might be helping, but the jury is still out. I'm about a week into it.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern. I've taken time away from just about all the normal foods you hear people having problems with and my digestion stays the same.

I'll take these suggestions though.

CJ275

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I have kept detailed food logs on myfitnesspal. I never looked at the fiber though. I know that some fiber supplements made me really gassy, so I never really thought that would be a good solution. But now I am trying Metamucil and it is not making me gassy. I think it might be helping, but the jury is still out. I'm about a week into it.

There doesn't seem to be any pattern. I've taken time away from just about all the normal foods you hear people having problems with and my digestion stays the same.

I'll take these suggestions though.

There's soluble and insoluble fiber, it's the soluble that's associated with gassiness. It's the kind the gut bacteria feed off of, like beans. Insoluble doesn't feed the bacteria, but it helps pooping as it moves through and attracts water, think green stalky veggies.

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
Multiple loose stools daily can also mean you’re eating stuff that doesn’t agree with your stomach. Sometimes when we’re pounding the cals we tend to not pay close attention to everything we’re eating. Just something to keep in mind…

Reaction score
If you're worried about nutrient absorption increase your fiber intake, it should help slow things down. I like psyllium husk powder, has helped with the shits and when Im not shitting.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about posting something similar to this recently. My gastrointestinal system started becoming problematic in my mid twenties. I’m 37 now and still struggle with this daily. I average 3 poops a day. But the bloating and gas is unbearable at times. Because of this i don’t eat as often as I’d like and hence don’t gain as much as Id like. My stomach looks like I’m pregnant if I let it out but I also have visible abs. It’s weird. I’ve tried probiotics and fiber. I’ve cut out all lactose containing products. Still struggling though. I just started taking peppermint oil capsules. It’s been a week and the jury is still out. Docs don’t seem to offer much help aside from eliminating foods or following a FODMAP diet which I haven’t tried yet. I’ll keep you guys posted.

Reaction score
There's soluble and insoluble fiber, it's the soluble that's associated with gassiness. It's the kind the gut bacteria feed off of, like beans. Insoluble doesn't feed the bacteria, but it helps pooping as it moves through and attracts water, think green stalky veggies.

Thanks, this thread is becoming educational for me already. I know nothing about fiber.

Also a doctor recently prescribed me dycyclomine for it. That did nothing at all.

CJ275

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Thanks, this thread is becoming educational for me already. I know nothing about fiber..

I should've combined that post with the Metamucil vs Citrucel post. The Metamucil has both kinds of fiber, while Citrucel only has insoluble. That's why Metamucil can cause gassiness.

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
The wife has bowel issues and a smoothie of frozen berry’s, 1 scoop of strawberry whey and 2 teaspoons of chia seeds each morning makes her regular and not loose.