Denied at Red Cross

Reaction score
Went to donate blood and got denied said my BP was a little too high
Any work arounds so I can donate
On 200 test c /week
My joints are bothering me I wanna do a blast but wanna donate before I do .
I do get anxiety and stress about shit so now I was denied I’m sure I’ll stress out about it next appointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
u may want to take care of the high blood pressure ..How high was it?

I40/90 I think

I honestly just remember the 140 part
But I feel like my bp may be a little high cause I need to give blood but I can’t give blood bc my BP Is too high .

Gonna call the dr but my dr office is trash and they don’t do shit.
and if I were to tell them about certain choices they would offer a whole lot of Criticism but zero help .
Most likely on my own with this

lifter6973

Expert Alcoholic Fraudster
Reaction score
I40/90 I think

But I feel like my bp may be a little high cause I need to give blood but I can’t give blood bc my BP Is too high .

and if I were to tell them about certain choices they would offer a whole lot of Criticism but zero help .

uh, they would not/should not turn you away for that BP. Are you sure your hemoglobin wasn't too high?

beefnewton

Reaction score
I went through the same thing with Red Cross a few times and finally gave up. I don't know what they thought was going to happen.. was the needle to shoot out of my arm and injure someone? I also made the mistake of way back originally telling them I was on testosterone. It was even doctor prescribed at the time, but that was a big mistake. Permanent deferral (blacklist). I appealed it, and it went all the way to the national director to get removed. Red Cross is a pain in the ass. They look for reasons to not accept your blood.

Aside from trying to address the root issue of borderline hypertension, here is everything I went through:

-Tried numerous supplements like Naringin to bring down HCT. Didn't do shit.
-Learned to phlebotomize myself. I did this for 5+ years and got so sick of it. You absolutely must get regular labs on iron, ferritin, and friends to keep tabs on going anemic. I have to take a hefty dose of heme iron every day.
-Find someone other than Red Cross that doesn't have a bug up their ass. Where I'm at, another provider moved in called Blood Assurance. They took my blood first time (double red cell donation.. apheresis) even in spite of my BP and iron being a little high (I can't figure out how iron can be high with ferritin low, binding high, etc.). This is what I do now, coupled with quarterly labs.. or at a minimum every six months.

I don't have everything figured out. I'm still working on BP. Can't take ACE inhibitors at all... the cough is just quality-of-life destroying. CCB's and Alpha Blockers don't really help much (Clonidine works, but it is so short acting and very hard to quit due to rebound), and I don't wanna touch Beta Blockers. I finally tried ARB's again and found Diovan/Valsartan actually works with no side effects. Telmisartan doesn't do shit for me, go figure (and now I have a shitload of brand name MIcardis that is just going to expire and go in the trash one day). Also working on getting sodium cut way back. Always a work in progress.

Edit: Oh I also went the route of doctors and clinics. I actually had a clinic test me but tell me they couldn't do anything about it even if it was high. Really? Write an order for a therapeutic phlebotomy, maybe? When I first got put on testosterone about ten years ago, it was 200mg of Enanthate every three weeks (just to give you an idea of how clueless these people were). They freaked the fuck out over high hematocrit but at least ordered a phlebotomy. But at the same time stopped giving me injections. Thanks, guys. I love having a total test in the double digits.. so low I get out of breath just taking a damn shower. Went through seven doctors until I finally said fuck it and went UGL. Never looked back.

Last edited:

Skullcrusher

Elite
Reaction score
I used to donate plasma twice a week.

Being hungover and smoking cigarettes were both things that prevented me from donating.

I used to just sit for 20 minutes without smoking and I could usually get it low enough.

With plasma it will jam the machine if bp is too high, not sure with blood.

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score

Tinbeater36

Reaction score
I40/90 I think

I would suggest looking for a new doctor. Obviously don't know the specifics of your situation, insurance and all that, but I would ask around and see who other guys in your area are using. Long term high BP can be a very serious issue. (I assume you already know this, just saying.) In my experience you can kind of dance around the issue and let the doctor know what's going on without coming out and specifically telling him. I work w a coach and I study a lot so if there is something me or my coach is concerned with my doctor is always willing to run whatever bloodwork I ask for.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I40/90 I think

The RedCross has a cut off of 180 Systolic and 100 Diastolic so unless something changed, you may want to check that BP again.

If you're popping hot on your BP, reconsider that blast until you get it in range. Like mentioned, you could look into draining your own oil but that's not going to help your BP.

Reaction score
So found another close by appointment today and was able to donate ..

300mg mag glycinate
1000mg taurine
Fuck ton of water
Couple shots of apple cider vinegar about 1 hour prior
And 20mg propanolol

Bp was 120/80 and my hemoglobin went down like 2.5 points 19 yesterday to 16.5 today .

This is a fucking pain in my ass and super draining like I gotta make the appointment usually a few weeks ahead of time due to work schedule and then I get there and they won’t let me donate .
Wtf I’ll sign a god damn waiver .
I smoke cigarettes too so I can go to my doctor and tell them my back hurts and they are like ohh must be the smoking
Like no shit I know it’s not good I’m not oblivious but I smoke that’s not the cause of every issue although they disagree .
Anyway I think I’ll look into doing this myself with my girls assistance.

Appreciate everyone’s feedback
If anyone has any tips on how to get a therapeutic phlebotomy script
But I’m ugl so no dr love as far as that goes either .
A friend had his trt clinic take him off trt because he was a smoker .
Idk just seems like there’s gotta be a simple solution
I got the damn propanolol from an internet zoom dr
Would love to get a phlebotomy script that way .
Ide much rather pay than deal with this headache .
This would be a great hustle just hit all the meat head gyms and drain them for $
I’m half joking but for real

Charger69

Reaction score
uh, they would not/should not turn you away for that BP. Are you sure your hemoglobin wasn't too high?

I think if the diastolic is above 100 they can’t take blood. Had that happen to me one time. They had me wait and I went down to like 99 and I was good.

New Threads