First gym equipment

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I didn’t want to hijack @SFGiants thread on the ab roller, but it got me thinking about the things my dad had in the basement when I first started lifting.

In addition to an ab roller, we had this beauty; a weider bench with a leg curl/ leg extension attachment and sand filled weights.

Total POS that taught you to control the weight on leg extensions if you valued your balls.

4F742667-F04E-47B7-A6BB-3CF19BE3B50D.jpeg

Trendkill

👑 Benevolent Sammich King 👑
Reaction score
I had a Parabody bench with adjustable uprights. It would do flat, incline, seated and if you were brave, decline but nothing to hook your feet under. I had the leg extension, preacher curl and lat pulldown attachments that slid into the end of the bench. Had a 300lb weight set and some thread lock dumbbell handles. My best friend would come train and bring his 45s and standard 10lb plates so we could bench 225 and look cool and make 100lb dumbbells. Used that setup all through high school.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Similar... cheap cement filled plastic weights, the basic bar with the twist nut collars, cheap bench w/ leg attachment.

All K-Mart's finest equipment. 🤣

I still remember my training program. On Sunday morning, I'd work out for 4 STRAIGHT HOURS while listening to American Top 40 on the radio station. I'd be trying to record the songs I liked between sets on a cassette tape. 💪💪

Pooh6369

Elite
Reaction score
My dad had that also, I was so impressed when he benched all the plastic weights.

A staple in all old school dad's arsenal!!!

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
Similar... cheap cement filled plastic weights, the basic bar with the twist nut collars, cheap bench w/ leg attachment.

All K-Mart's finest equipment. 🤣

I still remember my training program. On Sunday morning, I'd work out for 4 STRAIGHT HOURS while listening to American Top 40 on the radio station. I'd be trying to record the songs I liked between sets on a cassette tape. 💪💪
1663678604412.jpeg

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I cut my teeth on a bench like that with the sand weights. 200lb of vinyl sand weights on a bar looks like 500 lbs. lol

Shitty equipment but some good times.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I too started out with the plastic coated cement filled weights and pretty much the same Weider bench. Built a "squat rack", more like a squat stand, from 2x4's. I remember really looking forward to going to college to get into a real weight room. First summer home bought an Olympic set. My dad put a couple big eye screws in the garage ceiling with some chain and hooks I could hang the original bar from that plastic weight set and do pull-ups. Like Snake said, good times.

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
We started out lifting with my dad and my uncles.

Not only do I remember my first very own weight set , after bit of digging on the interweb , I found the very page I picked it out from haahahahah got the ez bar , the loadable handles and the belt too.

We had a black n blue bench my brother had gotten a few years before we used. His set came from Montgomery Ward I think.

The Red white n blue set on the left it was the smallest one they had 120lbs.
christmas 78.jpg

Reaction score
I started to make a post asking if people had preferences for certain brands of home equipment but this thread looks like it may serve the same function. I started building a home setup a couple years ago and have been just rolling the dice on the brands I've picked.

New Threads