Forum founding principles

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
This is a slightly redacted message I sent in a group chat when I returned after a 7-8 year hiatus from the forums about a year and a half ago. I was asked to post this for the general forum user because it's probably even more applicable today than it was then.

"I remember when this site first launched and essentially the mission statement for the community it was supposed to cultivate.

I did have an extended hiatus and completely lost touch with so many people from the boards who have been some of the closest friends I've had in life.

As boards age there is a level of elitism that's created in the communities. This had become abrasive to new people to the culture on  REDACTED. This site specifically was going to be an inclusive place where people could come ask the stupid questions and not feel talked down to for their mistakes. It would become a resource for people to be initiated into the culture, a safe haven where someone could go from knowing nothing to being a valued community member without being funnelled to open boards where they would be scammed and gaslit.

I've gone through a lot of what I've missed and found in some ways that's stayed the same, and in some it has gone astray.

There are members here who didn't know a thing, asked the same questions over and over, were often even a bit annoying, but are now respected contributing members years later.

Politics, drama, and any other nonsense in the world was something we could disagree on and still maintain respect and humor about it because of the understanding that we share a passion and a code that you don't find you can share with many people in the outside world.

I'd like to request that those of us who have been here from the beginning to remember that. When someone gets scammed by someone, it's not because they didn't type their name into Google. It's because that source invested in SEO and buried the information that they are garbage and that person didn't find a place like this yet. We don't need to ridicule them because they found us too late.

When someone shows their poorly designed cycle, help them fix it, someone just gave them bad information.

The world is divided, we don't have to be. A flame war on the board can often be avoided with a short PM conversation where egos aren't going to flare. A guy you decided to make fun of for his ignorance and ran off the board could have ended up being a dear friend in 5 years simply by showing a bit of patience, kindness, and understanding."

In some ways I need to take my own advice. There's a significant amount of new members I lumped in with absolute garbage human beings because they came from the same place and are friendly with each other. That's probably not the right way to go about things.

So going forward I'm going to be taking my own advice and treating every dispute as if both parties are arguing in good faith. I'm not going to hold people responsible for knowing things just because they posted a link and spoke like an authority. They haven't been exposed to the same conversations or experiences as me and I shouldn't expect them to have the same information.

I'm going to do better, and we need to do better.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
I been saying this just about for 3 months, glad to see someone else step up.

It don't have to be toxic here, being an alpha male seems to be mistaken for being an asshole and toxic, that has to stop.

A real alpha male is a leader and leads by example.

Getting tired of grown men acting juvenile, I'm getting older, I am fighting with the thoughts of I'm too old for this shit an don't belong here anymore or hope for a better change to take place here.

Last edited:

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
I been saying thing just about for 3 months, glad to see someone else step up.

It don't have to be toxic here, being an alpha male seems to be mistaken for being an asshole and toxic, that has to stop.

A real alpha male is a leader and leads by example.

Getting tired of grown men acting juvenile, I'm getting older, I am fighting with the thoughts of I'm too old for this shit an don't belong here anymore or hope for a better change to take place here.
Things will get better .. online things do evolve and change over time but this wont last long now that people that really care about this place are speaking up and putting an end to the bullshit , appreciate you man and the things you've taught me.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
This is a slightly redacted message I sent in a group chat when I returned after a 7-8 year hiatus from the forums about a year and a half ago. I was asked to post this for the general forum user because it's probably even more applicable today than it was then.

"I remember when this site first launched and essentially the mission statement for the community it was supposed to cultivate.

I did have an extended hiatus and completely lost touch with so many people from the boards who have been some of the closest friends I've had in life.

As boards age there is a level of elitism that's created in the communities. This had become abrasive to new people to the culture on  REDACTED. This site specifically was going to be an inclusive place where people could come ask the stupid questions and not feel talked down to for their mistakes. It would become a resource for people to be initiated into the culture, a safe haven where someone could go from knowing nothing to being a valued community member without being funnelled to open boards where they would be scammed and gaslit.

I've gone through a lot of what I've missed and found in some ways that's stayed the same, and in some it has gone astray.

There are members here who didn't know a thing, asked the same questions over and over, were often even a bit annoying, but are now respected contributing members years later.

Politics, drama, and any other nonsense in the world was something we could disagree on and still maintain respect and humor about it because of the understanding that we share a passion and a code that you don't find you can share with many people in the outside world.

I'd like to request that those of us who have been here from the beginning to remember that. When someone gets scammed by someone, it's not because they didn't type their name into Google. It's because that source invested in SEO and buried the information that they are garbage and that person didn't find a place like this yet. We don't need to ridicule them because they found us too late.

When someone shows their poorly designed cycle, help them fix it, someone just gave them bad information.

The world is divided, we don't have to be. A flame war on the board can often be avoided with a short PM conversation where egos aren't going to flare. A guy you decided to make fun of for his ignorance and ran off the board could have ended up being a dear friend in 5 years simply by showing a bit of patience, kindness, and understanding."

In some ways I need to take my own advice. There's a significant amount of new members I lumped in with absolute garbage human beings because they came from the same place and are friendly with each other. That's probably not the right way to go about things.

So going forward I'm going to be taking my own advice and treating every dispute as if both parties are arguing in good faith. I'm not going to hold people responsible for knowing things just because they posted a link and spoke like an authority. They haven't been exposed to the same conversations or experiences as me and I shouldn't expect them to have the same information.

I'm going to do better, and we need to do better.

Weren't you the dude that was all like "fuck your god, fuck Jesus, flying spaghetti monster...Rwraaaaaarrr!!!" in that religious conversation?

You're a founding member. You've never been new. I was in the first batch of migrants from ology with the other RH dudes. We got our asses kicked and almost everyone of them have been ran off with the exception of me and Ron.

You "OGs" are like the hippies that remember the 60s for some Utopic brotherhood but conveniently forget about all the damn bombings and murders.

And I'm not going to fight with you over this...it happened. You're the person trying to "gaslight" people into believing this place was once a peaceful brotherhood when it has always had a blood lust for new people.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
It is one individual doing it all. We've had contact with him, but don't know who it is.
It's also taken care of for the time being; auto-pilot. No more trolls will be getting in until we can get time with admin.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Weren't you the dude that was all like "fuck your god, fuck Jesus, flying spaghetti monster...Rwraaaaaarrr!!!" in that religious conversation?

You're a founding member. You've never been new. I was in the first batch of migrants from ology with the other RH dudes. We got our asses kicked and almost everyone of them have been ran off with the exception of me and Ron.

You "OGs" are like the hippies that remember the 60s for some Utopic brotherhood but conveniently forget about all the damn bombings and murders.

And I'm not going to fight with you over this...it happened. You're the person trying to "gaslight" people into believing this place was once a peaceful brotherhood when it has always had a blood lust for new people.
We were assholes, I told BBBG he isn't half as bad as I was, I think though it's more about aging for me, turning 54 not 44 lol.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
I feel like that patch holder that hit a certain age and is tired of what he was and created lol.

I look back at when I was a hardcore powerlifter on stuff all the time, boy I was short fussed on here a lot.

I'm not trying to be hypercritic, trying to just better things.

I don't like how shitty things have been these last 3 months, the trolls and child threats are just too much.

Blowing up on new people has gotten much better but if you deserve it you are going to get it. It's not something new as @Joliver said, we have always been hard it's just different people wearing the hats at different times taking on the roll as I once did. Again with the patch holder metaphor, I'm too old for this shit, let the young one's take over.

I said it once I'll say it again, politics is coming soon, that almost destroyed the last time!

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
I will say this though also, it took a lot of energy away from me being the way I was, energy that could have gone to better use. I explained that to BBBG and how it even took energy away from training for me.

I had great talks with BBBG about my own experiences, he was trying hard and doing great at it, he and I can related on things as we both take or took powerlifting very seriously.

Powerlifting hardcore takes a tool and taxes you very fast, hence the constant deloads.

69nites

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

The difference is, when we said things like fuck God, you're a weirdo for believing in the fan fiction of some people who didn't know how to do division we went outside of that religious talk and were cool with each other.

Jin is an example of someone who is more like us guys that were in the old school si thing. We could have that religious conversation and simultaneously be having a mature conversation and be friends.

The idea isn't that you don't argue, it's that you don't just shit on people to make yourself feel better about yourself.

Serious question for you. Since Bbbg and Rir0 and many other of us "meso" guys are no longer going to be really active here.....why still the troll problem?
Idk what you're talking about. RiRo still gets on here 20 times a day.

New Threads