Gain Muscle.. What suppliments to take while working out.

Reaction score
Hi, I am 16 years old, 5'10", and 140lbs, I play baseball and hockey and I want to gain muscle to be a stronger player. I have a 24 hour fitness membership and I am in need of some help on what protein, preworkout, etc to take. Also I do not have a set workout routine to stick to which I need as well. Thanks a ton!!

Reaction score
Hey brother. You don't need supplements really, just a good diet. The only supplements I take year round is a carb drink, whey isolate, and BCAA. Just get on a good diet and look up the starting strength program on google.

Carb: Gaspari Glycofuse

BCAA (during workout) Gaspari Amino Last or Scivation Xtend

Whey Isolate: Dimatize

Creatine Monohydrate: Optimum Nutrition Micronized

My protocol for workout is about 15g BCAA mixed in water and drank during the workout, immediately after the workout I do 2 scoops of gaspari glycofuse, 20 minutes later I did 1 and a half servings of Dymatize Whey Isolate.

I do 4 decent sized meals a day and recommend looking at your macros. You myfitnesspal or something like that to track calories. My break down is roughly 30% protein 40% carb 30% fat. It changes day to day but I've done this long enough to get more advanced with my diet. A typical workout day however, would be 250 protein, 350 carb, 90 g fat.

I go for eggs and red meat for my protein sources. Olive oil and avocado for fat. White rice, oats, and sweet potato for carbs. I also do 1 higher quality cheat meal each week (think a mastros burger vs mcdonalds)

Being younger, you may not have the money to do real high quality but you can probably find a way to break down your macros in a way that works.

btw I'm 5'9 ~185 ~9% bf and 25. Get those calories around 3500, lift heavy and stick to compound movements for now.

Hope this helps man :)

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
Focus on whole foods before supps! Meat rice pasta almonds veggies etc. Throw in whey isolate and creatine if you can afford it. Pre workouts are not necessary especially as a teen but can be useful. Just don't get too hooked on the stims.

CptFKNplanet

Elite
Reaction score
Bvs pretty much nailed it. NO supplements will build muscle like they claim. Training hard and eating is the only way to add size. At your age your body is in peak muscle building condition. Just remember supplements are exactly that, a SUPPLEMENT to your diet, not the foundation.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well the title of the thread says "while working out" so if you mean while you are actually training a good combo is orange powerade/ghey2raid and vanilla protein. Shake it up with some ice and its like an orange creamsicle while training. I do this during the summers. Or I use Modern BCAA mixed with maltodextrin. My gym is on the 4th floor of an old brick industrial building. No a/c. During the summer you just feel exhausted so having some cals while training helps a great deal.

New Threads