Grip strength

Reaction score
Hi,
I've noticed I have problems keeping my grip during stiff deadlifts and pullups.

It's not a "sweaty hands" problem, so I don't think liquid chalk would help much; it is blister pain + weak wrists.

I don't think I can do anything with the blisters.

Besides straps, should these help?
- farmer walks with dumbbells
- static hold with barbell/dumbbells/hexbar
- one arm barbell hold

I am thinking that maybe with these 3 exercises the weight is always at the top.
On deadlifts could I get stronger on the top but remain weaker on the bottom of the movement, if I only do these exercises? (maybe is a stupid question, sorry, English is not my primary language)

Anything else?

Thanks,

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Yes, those will help with your grip strength and endurance.

Reaction score
Blisters become callouses , callouses you can trim. Enjoy the process get some lotion you will need it.

I have those too, they hurt too.
Once in a while I cut them with scissors.
Maybe I'm just a snowflake and I should tough it up. 😔

Yano

Flatlandah
Reaction score
I have those too, they hurt too.
Once in a while I cut them with scissors.
Maybe I'm just a snowflake and I should tough it up. 😔
you can trim them too close and it will suck for a couple days

like BBBG told ya ^ right up yonder , use a bic razor so you can just go a bit at a time when they get too raised up

ive even just grabbed some sand paper off the work bench and brushed em down a bit with that .. not the same but it worked enough to finish my work out comfortably.

beefnewton

Reaction score
I use a Dremel to sand mine down before they become a problem and run the risk of tearing.

I have the problem with grip, too. I am not very strong, and my forearms have been historically weak. Sometimes I have to start mixing my grips. Hook grip works well for me, and then when it gets really tough I have to switch to mixed grip. Fortunately, though, my forearms have caught up that most of the time I can get away with standard. I don't like using straps, because I want my forearms to develop. But I also am not pulling the kind of weight most people on here pull, so I can get away with it. I've also had really bad wrist pain develop from the use of straps, but maybe I was using them wrong.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Use a disposable bic razor on the callouses.
you can trim them too close and it will suck for a couple days

like BBBG told ya ^ right up yonder , use a bic razor so you can just go a bit at a time when they get too raised up

ive even just grabbed some sand paper off the work bench and brushed em down a bit with that .. not the same but it worked enough to finish my work out comfortably.
Do it after you shower, so they're soft. But trim off less than you think, because it's very easy to do too much. And that hurts.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Just grate that shit onto some pasta. Bone apple teeth.

Check out some of the IronMind products. They're typically geared towards strongman and there is a whole focused area of products that develop grip strength specifically.

Reaction score
Just grate that shit onto some pasta. Bone apple teeth.

Check out some of the IronMind products. They're typically geared towards strongman and there is a whole focused area of products that develop grip strength specifically.

+1…. Been using the Captains Of Crush grippers for a while, and they help. You can use them while you’re watching tv or whatever.