Heavy metal contamination in raws

Reaction score
I want to be clear I’m not saying that this is the case with this thread but want to gauge potential.

I’m a relatively new medical school student and was recently diagnosed with mercury toxicity this past week after turning over a lot of other medical stones to no avail.

I have meticulously considered any other way I could have been exposed - I live in a relatively new house, Ive worked in clean medical environments or been in school most of my adult life. No reasonably presumed work exposure, I don’t own anything containing mercury and Ive looked very thoroughly. I’m too young for amalgam fillings although my mom has them so probably some exposure during pregnancy.

My test was via IV challenge (with DPMS and not here to talk the controversy on that test) with a pre and post tests to assess baseline.

I’ve been brewing since I was 19 and on HRT or otherwise for around a decade.

So - only reason to post this is to see if anyone has ever had any similar issues or had any testing done on the raws.

I kind of doubt it would be raws since I think a lot of people would be reporting issues but it’s still the only thing I can reasonably think might be a cause currently.

Looking into getting my current raws tested if anyone has suggestions for labs that would do that.

silentlemon1011

Resident Jizz Towel
Reaction score
I want to be clear I’m not saying that this is the case with this thread but want to gauge potential.

I’m a relatively new medical school student and was recently diagnosed with mercury toxicity this past week after turning over a lot of other medical stones to no avail.

I have meticulously considered any other way I could have been exposed - I live in a relatively new house, Ive worked in clean medical environments or been in school most of my adult life. No reasonably presumed work exposure, I don’t own anything containing mercury and Ive looked very thoroughly. I’m too young for amalgam fillings although my mom has them so probably some exposure during pregnancy.

My test was via IV challenge (with DPMS and not here to talk the controversy on that test) with a pre and post tests to assess baseline.

I’ve been brewing since I was 19 and on HRT or otherwise for around a decade.

So - only reason to post this is to see if anyone has ever had any similar issues or had any testing done on the raws.

I kind of doubt it would be raws since I think a lot of people would be reporting issues but it’s still the only thing I can reasonably think might be a cause currently.

Looking into getting my current raws tested if anyone has suggestions for labs that would do that.

@janoshik

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I also recommend @janoshik. I've used them and have been pleased with the blind testing results I've gotten back.

He has services to test for heavy metals, but I believe that his experience has been that he has not seen any heavy metal test worthy of note... and therefore doesn't pitch it as part of his services, even though he will do this service at someone's request.

If you're interested, then reach out to janoshik. It's possible Janoshik will respond directly this thread if he's not too busy.

Reaction score
A simple search will show you this is unfounded.

You want more? Ok fine. Jano use to offer heavy metals testing. It’s a fairly easy test and if there was money to be made, Jano would STILL offer it. He doesn’t. Do you know why? Because he’s NEVER detected heavy metals in any of the samples he ran.

AnabolicLab use to use donations to have SIMEC test for heavy metals. They stopped. Do you know why? Because heavy metals were never detected in any of their samples.

YOU can send a sample to any environmental lab in the US, just call it an oil sample. The analysis is like $85. They won’t know it’s steroids because they won’t test for steroids. They’ll test for the heavy metals. I’ll bet you the cost of the analysis that the results are all “none detected”.

Pharmaceutical companies worldwide get their raws from the SAME factories. They don’t produce our shit separate as if it’s meth or coke. They’re made in factories with state of the art equipment.

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Why would you test the raws? No reliable testing facility would ever test something illegal from the general public. Plus if u truly are a member of the medical community you already have chemists onsite who know how to test for heavy metals.

If you have been making your own gear for over a decade and not using fractional crystallization methods u only have yourself to blame for heavy metal content.

And if you believe raws produced in China contain no heavy metals, well u are simply a fool to believe so.

Reaction score
Why would you test the raws? No reliable testing facility would ever test something illegal from the general public. Plus if u truly are a member of the medical community you already have chemists onsite who know how to test for heavy metals.

If you have been making your own gear for over a decade and not using fractional crystallization methods u only have yourself to blame for heavy metal content.

And if you believe raws produced in China contain no heavy metals, well u are simply a fool to believe so.
Do you have tests showing they contain heavy metals? Post it.

And as far as a testing lab knows it’s a powder. They have ZERO clue if it’s legal/illegal or otherwise. I work with environmental labs all the time. You’re not asking them to test for steroids (that would be retarded). You’re asking to run tests for heavy metals which is totally legal to do.

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Do you have tests showing they contain heavy metals? Post it.

And as far as a testing lab knows it’s a powder. They have ZERO clue if it’s legal/illegal or otherwise. I work with environmental labs all the time. You’re not asking them to test for steroids (that would be retarded). You’re asking to run tests for heavy metals which is totally legal to do.

This isnt MESO, dont need to post fake test results from some guy who is banned on multiple forums to prove or disprove something. A REAL chemist knows how to delete heavy metals from a compound, while other non chemists will continue to make toxic soup for others to inject into their systems.....I am shocked the MESO people havent tested the McRib sammich, such a paranoid bunch....

wsmwannabe

Reaction score
This isnt MESO, dont need to post fake test results from some guy who is banned on multiple forums to prove or disprove something. A REAL chemist knows how to delete heavy metals from a compound, while other non chemists will continue to make toxic soup for others to inject into their systems.....I am shocked the MESO people havent tested the McRib sammich, such a paranoid bunch....
I don't really understand your post, other than it looks like you're trying to say heavy metals are in AAS raws and you don't need to prove yourself correct.

Reaction score
So you’re just assuming that there’s heavy metals.

SIMEC isn’t a respected lab for you either?

Reaction score
I don't really understand your post, other than it looks like you're trying to say heavy metals are in AAS raws and you don't need to prove yourself correct.
He KNOWS.

See there’s guys that believe in testing and then there are guys that don’t believe in testing at all. Testing BAD. Mmmkay.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
@silentlemon1011 @Send0 we've been duped. The OP hasn't logged in since 2012.

Mehhh, it got some conversation going though. 🤣
Not sure if a feature of xenforo is to dig up old threads and change the post date, in order to get conversations going.... but if that is a feature, then it sure as hell works. 😂

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So you’re just assuming that there’s heavy metals.

SIMEC isn’t a respected lab for you either?
I am not here to argue who is legit or not. I am stating what I know and what I would do if I was producing gear for personal or public use. Recrystallization is a relatively simple process to eliminate a high % of heavy metal content in a compound. IF u are buying from a lab that doesnt use this simple technique you are simply risking using gear that may contain heavy metal content. If you perfectly fine with that, great. Some, like me, prefer non heavy metal gear.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Tutorial on fractional crystallization for anyone interested. I know this process, but I don't use it for any personal brews.

Why don't I choose to use it? Because I doubt there will be enough heavy metals, if any, for me to be able to filter it out using this process. Meaning it would need to be something more than just a trace amount; I think I'd need at least 2-5% to be able to use this process effectively.

Doesn't mean I'm right or wrong, just means I choose to not use it.

janoshik

Elite
Reaction score
You want more? Ok fine. Jano use to offer heavy metals testing. It’s a fairly easy test and if there was money to be made, Jano would STILL offer it. He doesn’t. Do you know why? Because he’s NEVER detected heavy metals in any of the samples he ran.
It used to be exactly as you say, however I have started to test for the heavy metals again, since, due to getting quite a few requests. I do about 2-3 tests a month now. Still, no test positive. Still, I don't pitch it as I don't consider it a good value test for my clients.

All due respect, you are wrong on literally everything you've said.

Any heavy metal testing facilities won't tell sugar from heroin, as they don't do ID on the samples, unless you pay for it.

If you think med students regularly have access to ICP-MS labs and can just submit random stuff to them, you are quite misguided.

Recrystallization might very do jack for heavy metal contamination, as it's even traces that mater.
So unless you chelate or precipitate them, it ain't helping.

About your claim of heavy metals in AAS raws, please, provide your proof. Others have already mentioned the evidence against your claim, so defend your claim with evidence please.

janoshik

Elite
Reaction score
Yeah and SIMEC too, right, smart-ass?

Real chemist knows that fractional crystallization get rid of traces of heavy metals is about as reliable as your knowledge. Enough said.

Last edited:

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah and SIMEC too, right, smart-ass?

Real chemist knows that fractional distillation to get rid of traces of heavy metals is about as reliable as your knowledge. Enough said.
Well once again you have proven how little you know.

janoshik

Elite
Reaction score
I am not here to argue who is legit or not. I am stating what I know and what I would do if I was producing gear for personal or public use. Recrystallization is a relatively simple process to eliminate a high % of heavy metal content in a compound. IF u are buying from a lab that doesnt use this simple technique you are simply risking using gear that may contain heavy metal content. If you perfectly fine with that, great. Some, like me, prefer non heavy metal gear.
...unless, well you expect your test e to be 5% lead? aw mate.

janoshik

Elite
Reaction score
Well once again you have proven how little you know.
I can support my claims, you can't.

Enough said mate.

But you're right, everybody is stupid except you and no lab, including me, SIMEC and many others don't rival your knowledge and experience.

You can bury us all with your deep knowledge of recrystallization, near alchemical process that we teach 6th graders with citric acid and sugar for fun.

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I can support my claims, you can't.

Enough said mate.

But you're right, everybody is stupid except you and no lab, including me, SIMEC and many others don't rival your knowledge and experience.

You can bury us all with your deep knowledge of recrystallization, near alchemical process that we teach 6th graders with citric acid and sugar for fun.
Maybe on MESO u are someone looked u to but that is the only place. I never called anyone stupid, maybe brush up on how to follow a simple conversation.