Hip Pain

Reaction score
I would try an exercise physiologist before a surgeon ... after giving it a rest. Agree with others about scans to eliminate tears/impingements etc.
I have similar pain in my right hip, but get by when I do some exercises and avoid it tightening up when driving (I tense the muscles in that area which stuffs me up over time) by propping my knee with a cushion.
What helped (a bit) was getting down on hands and knees, extending my right leg straight back, then pushing it up and as far left as possible (opposite direction from the pain). 3 sets of 10.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Update: my hip has been feeli g better the last few days. There has been very little pain jogging, pushing the prowler, or sitting for long periods. I got under the bar this morning with no weight to warm up and it started hurting immediately. Even if I don't go to full depth, it feels like the weight and the torque of my stance is aggrivating it. I tried high box squat warm ups with just as much pain.
I really thought things were improving. I guess not.
Ill report back after my appointment tomorrow.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
I got xrays today. My back looked great. There was no damage to the hip visible in the regular xrays. However, the doctor indicated that the surface of my hip has a slight cam shape which can cause impingement in the squat position. He gave me options including an MRI, mobility work and prescribed anti inflammatory med and asked what I wanted to do. I told him I would like to try prescription anti inflammatory med and continue the mobility work for 4 weeks, then get an MRI if there is no improvement.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Trendkill

Reaction score
It’s weird that this came on so quickly. I would get that MRI to check all the soft tissues. Sooner you can get it properly diagnosed and corrected the better. The anti inflammatory meds are just going to mask the problem but the mobility work should be beneficial.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
I've been able to comfortably take a wider stance since doing hip mobility. I did a top set of 275 for 8 today with pain at 3/10. The wider stance feels much less stable, though. Likely due to neglected groin work.

Trendkill

Reaction score
It could just be because you are just adapting to the wider stance. Give it a few weeks. If you have access to bands doing some seated banded abduction can help get that “spread the floor” feeling dialed in and provide more stability.

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
X rays aren't going to show shit. I had severe hip pain that was off and on. Right on the outer side where it feels like the femur and hip come together. Basically right where your bursa is. One day I was pushing through it and I felt a severe rip. Felt like my femur tore from hip socket. Xrays showed nothing and was told just to take it easy and rest it. Paid 1200 for nothing (no insurance).

Anyway, the one thing I did to make it feel better before it tore was to roll that area on a foam roller It's gonna hurt, but it would relieve the pain. Of course I got lazy and just powered through the pain after awhile, but damn do I regret it.

Try the foam roller and do exercises that require the least amount of bend in your hips for a month. So basically just do extensions or old school sissy squats Tom platz style for quads.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
X rays aren't going to show shit. I had severe hip pain that was off and on. Right on the outer side where it feels like the femur and hip come together. Basically right where your bursa is. One day I was pushing through it and I felt a severe rip. Felt like my femur tore from hip socket. Xrays showed nothing and was told just to take it easy and rest it. Paid 1200 for nothing (no insurance).

Anyway, the one thing I did to make it feel better before it tore was to roll that area on a foam roller It's gonna hurt, but it would relieve the pain. Of course I got lazy and just powered through the pain after awhile, but damn do I regret it.

Try the foam roller and do exercises that require the least amount of bend in your hips for a month. So basically just do extensions or old school sissy squats Tom platz style for quads.
The xrays do show the the shape of the bone which is important. Like I said, it shows if the shape of the femur and pelvisto see if they are causing an impingement. I've been rolling the area with a laccross ball for weeks but that does not seem to be helping. Im going to keep squatting. If it starts to hurt more than 5/10 i'll get an MRI to see if the labrum is damaged.

Trendkill

Reaction score
Get some squat briefs. They will help. Even the old Inzer single ply power briefs.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Just for training? I can't compete in them.

Trendkill

Reaction score
Just for training? I can't compete in them.
Yes. And of course you can compete in them. Just find a fed that allows gear.

They save a lot of wear and tear on the hips. I've done it both ways. I wish I would have started wearing briefs much earlier.

New Threads