How often can you work a particular muscle group while on cycle

IWannaGetBig

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, how often can you work a particular muscle group while on cycle? I know I'll get responses like "you have to know or feel your own body." But has anyone read any statistics or studies that say that a muscle can repair itself after X number of hours/days and be ready to handle another workout?
IWGB

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm a novice but I've gotten decent results from once a week, trouble areas 2x. If you have the time I'm sure 2x is better for growth!

grind4it

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There are a lot variables that playing to answering this question. Unfortantly, its my opion that there is no cut and dry answer to this question....just my opinion.

For me personally, I can hit the same muscle groups every day if I am doing compound moves, eating right and on cycle. If I am doing isolation moves and high reps to failure it usally take my body 2-3 days to recover.
Bottom line it all comes down to learning your body. For me the goal is to go all the way to the edge of over training without crossing the line.

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i am trt so no high doseing but i hit every thing once except abs eod calves and lower back twice a week

Curiosity

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would say the absolute minimum time you should rest between training the same muscle groups twice is 48 hours. There is disagreement on this topic, but I have seen studies that support this.

However, if you're doing 20+ sets per muscle group, and torching yourself until you're painfully sore, you should probably take closer to a week off. But I've used full body 3 day a week programs that have you doing 5 sets of a squat/dead movement, 5 sets of a push movement, 5 sets of a pull movement, and a little assistance work, and you can get in and do that 3 days a week with 48 hours between workouts.

Christosterone

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I will say I repeatedly work my right arm throughout day, even on off days.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I will say I repeatedly work my right arm throughout day, even on off days.

OMG Im glad I read the rest of this post. Twice a week per had me intrested. I was going to ask you to post your work our routine. Ha then I read this thanks Doc.

coltmc4545

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of factors that can play into this. Nutrition, rest, type of training, how much gear you're on, which muscle group you're training. Like you said, you have to know your body. Larger muscle groups take more time to heal then smaller. PL's train the same body parts twice a week although the first day they train different then the last. One day is max effort, next is dynamic. When I'm on cycle and my schedule allows it, I'll do major muscle groups twice a week going heavy and low reps the first day, then the second going lighter and high reps. When I'm cruising or off cycle I usually just train once a week. It's really all knowing your body and finding out what works for you. Although I don't recommend training twice a week on any body part for extended lengths of time. Just like changing rep ranges and weight, switch it up. Not because your body adapts but doing twice a week for too long will send you into overtraining. Give yourself a break. Have a week or 2 to deload. It's not just your muscles that need rest it's your CNS also.

I think I'm kind of all over the place in that paragraph but I'm hiding in a corner at work so I'm typing everything quickly but hopefully you get my point.

Christosterone

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
OMG Im glad I read the rest of this post. Twice a week per had me intrested. I was going to ask you to post your work our routine. Ha then I read this thanks Doc.

I do work out stuff twice a week usually, for most part, I'll post workout here soon.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
You need to know your body but 2x a week is max IMO.

Christosterone

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I do a lot of circuit training high intensity and do two exercises back to back as one set ex:bench, then run to do pull-ups then back to bench etc.

Monday: chest, back, light arms, abs
Tuesday :legs
Wed: shoulders, arms
Thursday: chest abs
Friday: back, arms

This is just general, I can usually recover after a couple days off of a body part

Reaction score
It is important to understand that training in the gym is catabolic, which means that it breaks down your body. Therefore, you do not grow in the gym. You grow during recovery, especially if you get proper rest and nutrition. That is anabolic.

G

Georgia

I'm not on cycle but I couldn't imagine working out more than once a week off cycle. I stay in the gym for over an hour hitting whatever muscle group I'm hitting to exhaustion and I usually STAY DOM'd up for an entire week. I hit it once and let it recover. Strength and size are coming along nicely for me.

But if I was on roids on the other hand....10 times a week would be what I would aim for. Twice a day, 5 times a week because I'm crazy.

Jk.

Listen to your body...it talks to you.

BigTruck

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There are so many variables but for me its as fallows
Cardio 25-30 min on elliptical ed.
Mon-chest, tri's, abs,
Tues-back, bi's
Wed-shoulders, legs, abs
Thurs-chest, tri's
fri-back, bi's, abs
Wish I could say every week this schedule is completed flawlessly but most weeks I accomplish this.

Rage Strength

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I work then around twice a week. Once a week is sufficient to a novice, but after you've trained a while and add gear in the equation and tons of food, once won't be nearly enough.

R1rider

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i would say once a week is enough, twice for problem areas.

I squat/bench/deadlift once a week only, but i go heavy. Anymore and my body would fall apart. I always warm up with 10mins of cardio on the eleptical and cool down with 10 mins on the bike.

mon- deadlifts, shrugs

tues- bench press, triceps

wed- off

thurs- squats, legs

fri- shoulders, biceps

sat-off

sun-off

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Rest/recovery is what works for me to grow. In the summer/cut months when in a beater most of the time I'll pump (not really train) weak points 2-3 time a week for a fuller more balanced look all the time. Otherwise it's E7D.

5-7 days has always been it for me (gear or no gear).

Tilltheend

Banned
Reaction score
2 times a week is fine. If your eating and on anabolics you should have no problem.

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
2 times a week is fine. If your eating and on anabolics you should have no problem.

Age, goals and energy expenditure (work) are all factors that affect recovery/gains.