How to include intensity techniques in your workout plan?

Reaction score
Hi!

I’m going to make my first workout plan for myself. I was wondering how to include intensity techniques like; partials, super sets, forced reps, drop sets etc.

Should I for example do a drop set every week with the same excercise for the same muscle?

Or should I do this randomly to ‘shock’ the muscle?

Thanks in advance! :)

Reaction score
Hi!

I’m going to make my first workout plan for myself. I was wondering how to include intensity techniques like; partials, super sets, forced reps, drop sets etc.

Should I for example do a drop set every week with the same excercise for the same muscle?

Or should I do this randomly to ‘shock’ the muscle?

Thanks in advance! :)
I train for hypertrophy by the way!

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
I usually do them on the last set of almost every movement every workout.
It usually looks like this set 1) 8-12 reps failure, set 2) 8-12 or 12-15+Partials+triple drop set+partials all to failure.
You can’t shock a muscle. I just log everything and add weight or reps or improve form each week.

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
You dont ever NEED to use intensifier techniques, however I primarily like using them on the last set of whatever my chief mover is for the muscle group.

my favorite is the straight reps to failure>rest pause for another 2-3> then 50% weight drop straight reps to failure.

another oldschool method i used to like is "running the rack" where for something like hammer curls, ill start at my heaviest weight for 8, and then just drop to the next lighter set, all for 8 until your down to the 5s. Fun for some pump work at the end of a session

Reaction score
You dont ever NEED to use intensifier techniques, however I primarily like using them on the last set of whatever my chief mover is for the muscle group.

my favorite is the straight reps to failure>rest pause for another 2-3> then 50% weight drop straight reps to failure.

another oldschool method i used to like is "running the rack" where for something like hammer curls, ill start at my heaviest weight for 8, and then just drop to the next lighter set, all for 8 until your down to the 5s. Fun for some pump work at the end of a session
But you include them just randomly then?

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score

Will you post an example of what your chief mover sets look like?

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
Will you post an example of what your chief mover sets look like?
could varry heavily depending on my current goals and training phase.

but ill take my chest day yesterday as an example

main movement was dumbbell incline, 1 second negatives, 1 breat pause at the bottom

work up sets were reps of 10/8/6/3 at maybe RPE 6. believe weights were 85/95/110/120
then two sets to full failure 6-8 reps.
on the last set have a 50% drop and crank 15 full reps at the dropped weight (without the pauses), however long, however many rest pause it takes, then another 25% drop for bottom partials until failure.

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
But you include them just randomly then?
not randomly, strategically. as your training becomes more advanced, the greater value you'll get form intensifier techniques.

they can be used to provide a higher level of stimulus, when appropriate to continue to progressively overload

Reaction score
not randomly, strategically. as your training becomes more advanced, the greater value you'll get form intensifier techniques.

they can be used to provide a higher level of stimulus, when appropriate to continue to progressively overload
That makes sense!
But how do you know then when to include them, and what and how many and how often? Haha sorry for all the questions ;)

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
That makes sense!
But how do you know then when to include them, and what and how many and how often? Haha sorry for all the questions ;)
When straight sets are no longer enough to drive progression.
When adding volume becomes unrealistic, you add intensity.

how many and how often is going to vary greatly depending on training style, experience level, ect

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
I didn't read this rest of the thread but if I could go back I would never had built my own routine.

In saying that I am using Jordan Peters Completely Massive plan right now and it is nice

Reaction score
I didn't read this rest of the thread but if I could go back I would never had built my own routine.

In saying that I am using Jordan Peters Completely Massive plan right now and it is nice
But that’s for training with supplements right? I’m natural

Reactions: PZT

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
not opinion. You may need more off days. I am not doing the exact days that he prescribes due to anabolic not being in place yet. Im sure I will up frequency once that happens though

but if you look at the exercises on day is only 4 exercises

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score

no. There’s no difference in training for a natural vs enhanced. JP trains naturals exactly as he does enhanced trainees

Reaction score
not opinion. You may need more off days. I am not doing the exact days that he prescribes due to anabolic not being in place yet. Im sure I will up frequency once that happens though

but if you look at the exercises on day is only 4 exercises
Oh okey, awesome!
Where exactly can I find it?

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
How long have you been running it? I made it about 3.5 weeks and was destroyed
Ill just set the last workout for my new numbers for the full rotation tonight. I did use a similar approach for like 6 months a while back but my food and anabolics were pretty on point.

PZT

Elite
Reaction score
Ill just set the last workout for my new numbers for the full rotation tonight. I did use a similar approach for like 6 months a while back but my food and anabolics were pretty on point.
I was probably doing too many intensity techniques and exercises then though

RiR0

Sage of Swole
Reaction score
I like his newer ebook growth principles. It’s a little more human.

New Threads