In your opinion why do people who have health issues caused by poor diet continue to eat the same way?

Fvckinashman

Reaction score
Diet is like religion. Very hard to convert someone who doesn't truly want to.

I coach nutrition for a living (online that is, aside from owning a gym) and this is a major issue for some of my clients.

They WANT to change, but habits are a bitch to break for some

Reactions: CJ

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
Diet is like religion. Very hard to convert someone who doesn't truly want to.

I coach nutrition for a living (online that is, aside from owning a gym) and this is a major issue for some of my clients.

They WANT to change, but habits are a bitch to break for some
I hear that. I’d love to have ripped abs but I like chips too much.

Fvckinashman

Reaction score
I hear that. I’d love to have ripped abs but I like chips too much.
the question is can you MAINTAIN them.... I did a video for my clients about my prep. I don't walk around with abs, never did... I am a big guy and I am not built super lean. I am built like a linebacker when I am normal sized (right now I am 233-235) and when I cut for the stage, the abs come in.

Sure I could maintain them year round if I kept calories lower but then I would lose out on gaining muscle, improving weak points, and enjoying life like a somewhat normal person. To think we can walk around lean AF year round is a dream for a lot of people, and that has to be accepted.

Goals are fantastic, but a specific goal doesn't need to be lived as a lifestyle if you have to obsess over it, deprive yourself of satisfying calories, or lose out on living a life.

The issue with obesity is complex AF, and I have been working on a huge ass blog about it for a while

Socioeconomic, genetics, habits, access to food (food deserts), the portion sizes when dining out, American's obsession with fatty meats, and more

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
the question is can you MAINTAIN them.... I did a video for my clients about my prep. I don't walk around with abs, never did... I am a big guy and I am not built super lean. I am built like a linebacker when I am normal sized (right now I am 233-235) and when I cut for the stage, the abs come in.

Sure I could maintain them year round if I kept calories lower but then I would lose out on gaining muscle, improving weak points, and enjoying life like a somewhat normal person. To think we can walk around lean AF year round is a dream for a lot of people, and that has to be accepted.

Goals are fantastic, but a specific goal doesn't need to be lived as a lifestyle if you have to obsess over it, deprive yourself of satisfying calories, or lose out on living a life.

The issue with obesity is complex AF, and I have been working on a huge ass blog about it for a while

Socioeconomic, genetics, habits, access to food (food deserts), the portion sizes when dining out, American's obsession with fatty meats, and more
This is an excellent post.

Carry on.

beefnewton

Reaction score
Because in today's society, people in general are miserable and are always seeking a distraction/pleasure. Dopamine. Food is so easy. Just go down to the gas station and grab a bag of Jalapeno Cheddar Cheetos or hit up a Chuy's for a colon blasting bag of chips and a Steak Burrito (this is personal experience). Changing your diet means breaking an actual addiction, especially those that have eaten themselves into serious health conditions... which just makes them feel worse... which then just feeds into the need for more food/pleasure.

Fvckinashman

Reaction score
Because in today's society, people in general are miserable and are always seeking a distraction/pleasure. Dopamine. Food is so easy. Just go down to the gas station and grab a bag of Jalapeno Cheddar Cheetos or hit up a Chuy's for a colon blasting bag of chips and a Steak Burrito (this is personal experience). Changing your diet means breaking an actual addiction, especially those that have eaten themselves into serious health conditions... which just makes them feel worse... which then just feeds into the need for more food/pleasure.
psychologically addictive yes. Physical, no. Just want to clear that up.
not always sure which one is worse....

Test_subject

Super Duper Elite
Reaction score
the question is can you MAINTAIN them….
Short answer? No. I like food too much. I’d be miserable.

I’m not a fatass by any means, but my abs are only barely visible. That’s just not a goal for me, though. I’m working on my strength right now, so I’m probably ~15% at 240ish pounds.

wsmwannabe

Reaction score
IMO, it's because people have been trained to believe that medical care is the answer. Healthy habits aren't really practiced or preached by many physicians and medications are too easy to prescribe. Why change when you can mask your symptoms?

A patient cured is a patient lost.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
IMO, it's because people have been trained to believe that medical care is the answer. Healthy habits aren't really practiced or preached by many physicians and medications are too easy to prescribe. Why change when you can mask your symptoms?

I don't think most people in their 20's are thinking of medical care. At least I can tell you that it was not even a thought in my mind. However it's my priority now that I'm in my 40's.

wsmwannabe

Reaction score
I don't think most people in their 20's are thinking of medical care. At least I can tell you that it was not even a thought in my mind. However it's my priority now that I'm in my 40's.
Probably not, but I was thinking more specifically about the diabetes aspect. My best friend is a T1D, and has been since he was 13. He treats his body like shit, and just relies on his insulin to get him by, knowing that he's fucked later in life and doesn't really do much to change is.

GymRat79

Connoisseur of tranny cock
Reaction score

Ah ha! Like going to get a flu or covid shot 10 times instead of changing their lifestyle by eating healthy foods that naturally boost their immune system and relying on that to protect them along with daily exercise? Still waiting for one of these so called leaders to discuss proper nutrition at one of their "COVID" hearings.

Reaction score
Another problem for a lot of people is this impatience and need for instant gratification...an inability to stick with something difficult or uncomfortable in order to see results that don't happen overnight.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
Ah ha! Like going to get a flu or covid shot 10 times instead of changing their lifestyle by eating healthy foods that naturally boost their immune system and relying on that to protect them along with daily exercise? Still waiting for one of these so called leaders to discuss proper nutrition at one of their "COVID" hearings.
I eat healthy.... and generally speaking I still believe in vaccines.

I don't think people who get vaccines are using them as a bandaid for living an unhealthy lifestyle. 😂

GymRat79

Reaction score
I eat healthy.... and generally speaking I still believe in vaccines.

I don't think people who get vaccines are using them as a bandaid for living an unhealthy lifestyle. 😂
I don't either. I do know for a fact that many are using it cause its easier than taking the time to studying natural ways to protect themselves. Which will lead to them strengthening their own immune system naturally.

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score
I don't either but I know for a fact that many are using it cause its easier than taking the time to studying natural ways to protect themselves and strengthen their own immune system naturally.
How do you know this exactly? And how many people is "many"?

GymRat79

Reaction score
How do you know this exactly? And how many people is "many"?
Lets start with the people who tell you that wearing a mask is healthy for you. When I use the word you I'm referring to the general public.