Job Offer.....

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok guys and gals....so I'm a nurse (no gay jokes =;). Anyways I've been at my current position for 5 months and am getting really comfortable at my job. Pay is good, benefits are good, manager is really nice.....cons...it is a half hour drive and as far as experience goes I'm not gaining much.

Here's the kicker...... I was just offered a state nursing job...pay is roughly the same benefits are a bit cheaper and somewhat better it is 10 minutes from my house....cons....I believe would be more responsibility , I would be working in a forensics unit with all female patients. I can't seem to make up my mind. Advice? Opinions?

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i would stay away from a state job at this time.....

or any gov't job. too much going on.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As someone who has an entire female staff... be careful. I love women, but working with an entire staff of women carries a lot of headaches due to petty drama.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As someone who has an entire female staff... be careful. I love women, but working with an entire staff of women carries a lot of headaches due to petty drama.

I made it through nursing school spongy lol but it is the female patients I am referring to......

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Ain't that the truth! I am in the restaurant business, and dealing with the waitresses is like going to a an all female high school.

g0re

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i would stay away from a state job at this time.....

or any gov't job. too much going on.

I would disagree, a state nursing job is one of the best jobs u can get in that field.

I know someone who's been a nurse for 20 years and in the last 4 years has been working at a state prison.

The benefits and retirement package are extremely good. She would never go back to a private company she says.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would disagree, a state nursing job is one of the best jobs u can get in that field.

I know someone who's been a nurse for 20 years and in the last 4 years has been working at a state prison.

The benefits and retirement package are extremely good. She would never go back to a private company she says.

That's the word on the street in this state too gore....people say getting a state job here like hitting gold

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The state job will have politics that go along with it, but the benifits are cake.

Sounds like youve got a good job now though. Good luck.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The state job will have politics that go along with it, but the benifits are cake.

Sounds like youve got a good job now though. Good luck.

BigGame, the job I have now is pretty good....second largest employer in the state aside from the state lol

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine got a state job years ago. He was an apache helicoptor pilot, he got hired by the state "whitey" and was fucked over after a year being there.

This guy had it by the tail flying for a hospital transporting patients and organs, he was a gulf war vet and was the most accomplished pilot the Texas Highway Patrol ever had. Im not bullshitting, he walked into a Lts office and pissed off the Lts secretary of 22 years and was fucked from there on out.

The govt is not ususally where the most talented people in the work force end up. Matter of fact the good workers tend to leave because the envoironment is set up to protect the lazy. These type of people will crawl over their dead mother to fuck thier sister just to save a 9 dollar an hour job.

"Sometimes its best to soar with the eagles than to hang around with the crows"

-Brock Lesnar
(couldnt resist) Good luck Bro.

11Bravo

Elite
Reaction score
Anything gov't will eventually be more headaches than it's worth. You'll save money and time by being closer but if you like your boss I would stay.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sounds like everything is good with
Your current job. Except 2 things.
A 30 min drive. ( not worth giving
Up a job for in my opinion)
And your not gaining any experience.
So if your content with possibly not
Advancing in your career too quickly.
Due to lack of gaining experience
Where your at, but you're happy there,
Then stay.
But if you want to advance in your
Profession and you think you can get
The experience faster elsewhere then,
Maybe you should make a move.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
A good boss is hard to find brother.

oldskool954

Reaction score
I would say go for it if I know anything about careers it's that nurses will have work anywhere any time. You can always revert back to less responsibility if u don't like the job. Good luck

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What gives you more room to grow? 30 mins. is nothing just so you know. Talk to some employees at the state level....as much as I depise local government.

oldskool954

Reaction score
Always leave in a professional manner and explain that you feel you need to gain experience. Always leave with a unburnt bridge. I've never left a job I couldn't go back to at anytime.

Mind2muscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to thank my SI brothers for the much appreciated advice. Decision time is Monday! I'll let everyone know of my final decision.

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Listen man, my 2 cents are the following. I have been in the nurse staffing business for 15 years. 12 of those my own company. and my experience with state (govt) homes are this.....great benefits, time off paid, but they work you to death, with mandated hours, working short and very political, so you weigh those options too, ok?

RoidGear.net

Latest posts