Just how much of a pain in the neck are syringe filters?

Reaction score
How long does it take to filter say 100 ml with a 60ml syringe?

Someone was telling me it takes 4 hours, and it's a real pain

Are syringe filters a pain in the neck? Or not that bad?

Send0

Taskmaster (Moderator)
Reaction score

It doesn't take anywhere near that long. No idea what that person was talking about.

Use a caulk gun and 60ml syringe, apply low-moderate pressure. A full syringe takes me maybe 15 minutes going through a .22 micron PVDF filter? Probably even less time than that.

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

4 hours?!? Maybe if you're relying solely on gravity and using some infinitesimally small filter.

It can take a few tries to get used to the equipment, but syringe filters are pretty user-friendly.

bigrobbie

Reaction score
It can be slow and kind of a bitch, Espanol if it splits on ya....but not the worst thing ever

Reaction score

i use 10ml syringes for batch like that make little over 100ml and draw about 10.2ml the bigger syringes are harder to push and its easier to get exact amount you want in each vial with 10ml…i filter still warm if you heat to melting point it shouldnt fall out of suspension…i usually go through two whaatman filters for 100ml

buck

Reaction score
I use a 10 ml syringe myself. And have for going on 20 years. It takes less pressure to push the plunger on the 10 ml then it does the 60 ml. I can go through 100 ml in probably less then 30 minutes, but i haven't timed myself. I just call it a forearm workout.

Reaction score
One miniscule drop at a time. For me, even a bottle top filter with hand pump takes forever to filter 200ml. Even being warm with pvdf media. I have to actuate pump 50+ times to keep vacume at about 7-10 - seems the Millipore relievers crack above that?
I do use the quarter size syringe filters, pvdf for small amounts, <3ml. that's left in the 30ml Vials. Seems that last bit causes more pip than the rest of the vial unless refiltered.

New Threads