Looking to learn.

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am 33 years old, 5’10”, and 198 lbs. I have lived in Michigan my entire life, Sundays suck when you’re a Lions fan.

I’m a recovering drug addict, and recovery is a huge part of my life. I have been completely clean/sober since 4/15/2017 and it’s honestly a miracle that I’m still alive.

Recovery is actually how I got involved in fitness. I was obese throughout my entire childhood. The only time that I can remember being somewhat lean was when I was 19-20 and really into stimulants. When I got clean from everything at 28, I was 315 lbs when I checked into a detox facility. I didn’t have a job and lived at my parents house. I quickly got a membership at PF and started going because I was sick of being so fat.

In the first 2 years of recovery I lost roughly 100 lbs. I did some cardio but mainly focused on lifting and restricting calories. Lifting weights gave me that natural high that I was looking for, and I look forward to it every day.
Despite staying committed to the gym/diet, the gains were always slow.

About a year ago I finally asked my doctor to check my test levels. Had blood work done twice to confirm, test came back at roughly 160. I started TRT and my doctor prescribed 200mg injected every 30 days. I had to explain to him that I would not be injecting once per month, so frustrating. They would not increase the dose so after a few months I found a new doctor. He had no hesitation about prescribing 200mg every 7 days.

Since then the gains have been so much better and I enjoy my time in the gym so much more. My goal is to build as much muscle as I can in an effort to fill out some of the extra skin I have from being so far. My chest and waistline sag quite a bit and it still bothers me. I’m also saving up money for skin removal surgery but insurance won’t cover any of that so I don’t see it happening for a few more years.

In addition to building muscle I also have more fat to lose. My doctor just started me on Tirzepatide and it has really made a BIG difference in my ability to control my eating.

Ok this intro is starting to get long. I’m an open book about my past so feel free to ask anything. I know I have a lot to learn and that’s exactly why I’m here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Welcome, congrats on your sobriety journey, there are many guys here who can relate and will also be willing to share their own stories as encouragement.

Many of us picked ourselves up from deep personal valleys, some are further ahead in that journey and will lend their experience to help out as you strive for a better version of yourself.

You’ve come a long ways, stay on that grind, ask questions and participate and hopefully you don’t piss the guys off. They’re not about second chances, but I get the impression you’re earnest and will fit right in.

Reaction score
Welcome, congrats on your sobriety journey, there are many guys here who can relate and will also be willing to share their own stories as encouragement.

Many of us picked ourselves up from deep personal valleys, some are further ahead in that journey and will lend their experience to help out as you strive for a better version of yourself.

You’ve come a long ways, stay on that grind, ask questions and participate and hopefully you don’t piss the guys off. They’re not about second chances, but I get the impression you’re earnest and will fit right in.
Thanks for the support, I really appreciate that. I don’t intend to piss anyone off lol. But if I ever make a mistake, I’ll man up and own it.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Welcome to the Underground, and congrats on your continued sobriety!!!

Reaction score
Thanks for the support, I really appreciate that. I don’t intend to piss anyone off lol. But if I ever make a mistake, I’ll man up and own it.

You can’t piss anyone off. We are emotionless and dead on the inside.

Welcome to the UGBB we’re happy to have you. Please, let us know if you have any questions at all. 😀

TomJ

"Elite" 😏
Reaction score
Welcome man! Congrats on such a drastic change and on your sobriety.
We have a number of guys here with checkered pasts when it comes to addiction and I think you'll find a good community here

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am 33 years old, 5’10”, and 198 lbs. I have lived in Michigan my entire life, Sundays suck when you’re a Lions fan.

I’m a recovering drug addict, and recovery is a huge part of my life. I have been completely clean/sober since 4/15/2017 and it’s honestly a miracle that I’m still alive.

Recovery is actually how I got involved in fitness. I was obese throughout my entire childhood. The only time that I can remember being somewhat lean was when I was 19-20 and really into stimulants. When I got clean from everything at 28, I was 315 lbs when I checked into a detox facility. I didn’t have a job and lived at my parents house. I quickly got a membership at PF and started going because I was sick of being so fat.

In the first 2 years of recovery I lost roughly 100 lbs. I did some cardio but mainly focused on lifting and restricting calories. Lifting weights gave me that natural high that I was looking for, and I look forward to it every day.
Despite staying committed to the gym/diet, the gains were always slow.

About a year ago I finally asked my doctor to check my test levels. Had blood work done twice to confirm, test came back at roughly 160. I started TRT and my doctor prescribed 200mg injected every 30 days. I had to explain to him that I would not be injecting once per month, so frustrating. They would not increase the dose so after a few months I found a new doctor. He had no hesitation about prescribing 200mg every 7 days.

Since then the gains have been so much better and I enjoy my time in the gym so much more. My goal is to build as much muscle as I can in an effort to fill out some of the extra skin I have from being so far. My chest and waistline sag quite a bit and it still bothers me. I’m also saving up money for skin removal surgery but insurance won’t cover any of that so I don’t see it happening for a few more years.

In addition to building muscle I also have more fat to lose. My doctor just started me on Tirzepatide and it has really made a BIG difference in my ability to control my eating.

Ok this intro is starting to get long. I’m an open book about my past so feel free to ask anything. I know I have a lot to learn and that’s exactly why I’m here.
Welcome aboard.

There are many of us here who have been where you have been.

What does your current diet and training look like?

Reaction score
I formatted your post to make it easier to read.

We love paragraphs here.
Lol thank you. I tried separating the paragraphs but obviously not enough. Then once I posted it, I didn’t see an edit button. It was bugging me.

Reactions: CJ
Reaction score
You can’t piss anyone off. We are emotionless and dead on the inside.

Welcome to the UGBB we’re happy to have you. Please, let us know if you have any questions at all. 😀
Well then I know I’ll fit right in, I’ve been dead on the inside since childhood 🤣

Thank you for the welcome, I will keep that in mind.

New Threads